Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Google Fit (Android) accuracy .....iPhone users welcome too!

donwcolvin
donwcolvin Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2016 in Debate Club
Does anyone question how accurate our phones are with tracking exercises and calculating how many calories were burned? Android or iPhone just curious what your thoughts are.

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Google fit seems about as accurate as anything else. I use it to time my workouts but use fitbit for calorie burn. I've compared the two, alongside my stationary bike and for the same duration, they're all within 5 cals in the difference. Mostly 1 or 2.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    donwcolvin wrote: »
    Does anyone question how accurate our phones are with tracking exercises and calculating how many calories were burned? Android or iPhone just curious what your thoughts are.

When I run, the iPhone step counter is slightly under the map my run app. When measuring distance.
  • kylegeldmaker
    kylegeldmaker Posts: 21 Member
    The issue I have with Google fit is when manually adding weightlifting activities the app will remove time from walking and it seems to double the calories burned during weightlifting.

For example, if I start my lift routine with 30 mins of walking prior, when I add my lifts to the app all the walking I've done while lifting (usually less than 2000 steps)' gets removed. Then once the app saves my changes it will take my 60 min lifting from 400ish cals to over 800.

At first I thought it was giving me credit for the steps just slotted under lifts, but it appears to just double the lifts.

Lately I've been using MFPs estimate and reducing the time by 20%.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Google fit misses a significant portion of my steps each day. I strongly prefer SHealth.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I wear a Fitbit but also use my S6 to track some exercises, it also records my steps (when I remember to carry it!) - I think the androids aren't bad at all for tracking and if I didn't already use a tracker I'd be happy to use it - The way I see trackers are they are just to get a rough idea of calories burned per activity.