Exercises to avoid that thicken waist?

2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    You know what I'd start with?

I'd find a way to get exercise in that you enjoy the most or hate the least. Within that framework, do your best to train your entire body. Within that, do your best to increase the training stimulus over time.

So for example if you're lifting weights and doing things like squatting and benching, make sure you're incrementally progressing by adding weight to the barbell over time.

Stronglifts is ONE of many examples of a solid program but not everyone wants to take the time to learn how to squat and deadlift and that's honestly fine. There are plenty of ways to get the job done but some fundamental aspects of training should be there:

1) Don't do things that hurt and try to avoid things you HATE because it can prevent you from adhering.
    2) Don't neglect entire body-parts in your training
    3) Spend most of your time on multi joint exercises if possible
    4) Get better at them over time

I promise you that you're not going to get so much muscle hypertrophy that you get a large waist or bulky legs/etc.
  • Poweredbycoffee06
    Poweredbycoffee06 Posts: 39 Member
    The article posted compared young, teenage Britney to adult Britney with two kids. I would think having kids could cause the waist to appear thicker. I have not had kids but all the women I know say the waist is changed forever.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You know what I'd start with?

I'd find a way to get exercise in that you enjoy the most or hate the least. Within that framework, do your best to train your entire body. Within that, do your best to increase the training stimulus over time.

So for example if you're lifting weights and doing things like squatting and benching, make sure you're incrementally progressing by adding weight to the barbell over time.

Stronglifts is ONE of many examples of a solid program but not everyone wants to take the time to learn how to squat and deadlift and that's honestly fine. There are plenty of ways to get the job done but some fundamental aspects of training should be there:

1) Don't do things that hurt and try to avoid things you HATE because it can prevent you from adhering.
    2) Don't neglect entire body-parts in your training
    3) Spend most of your time on multi joint exercises if possible
    4) Get better at them over time

I promise you that you're not going to get so much muscle hypertrophy that you get a large waist or bulky legs/etc.

Very true. OP, here is a list of a lot of programs and links to the plans.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    So I've recently started getting into strength training. My goal is pretty much to feel healthier and stronger. I'd ideally like to hang to as much of my shape as possible, even enhance it. I have a 26 inch waist and 39 inch hips.

I've read a lot conflicting information regarding exercises that will actually thicken the waist. Now that I'm using weights I was hoping for some advice as to what I should avoid?

Avoid doing a bunch of direct ab work.

That. Done.

Also, it will take years of hard work to appreciably thicken your waist, provided you aren't eating for winter.
  • fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    Some really great advice and links here. Thank you. Strong Curves looks like a good programme
  • fernadele313
    fernadele313 Posts: 51 Member
    NewDay16 wrote: »
    The article posted compared young, teenage Britney to adult Britney with two kids. I would think having kids could cause the waist to appear thicker. I have not had kids but all the women I know say the waist is changed forever.

I'm almost certain the second picture of Britney Spears is taken early 2000's, before she had children. But as a few people have said we don't know what training she did so it is an unfair statement to make.

Also, my weight has fluctuated since having my son but my waist to hip ratio has always stayed the same. My waist isn't thicker after having a child.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    NewDay16 wrote: »

I'm almost certain the second picture of Britney Spears is taken early 2000's, before she had children. But as a few people have said we don't know what training she did so it is an unfair statement to make.

Also, my weight has fluctuated since having my son but my waist to hip ratio has always stayed the same. My waist isn't thicker after having a child.

So I finally skimmed through the article...and while we might not know exactly what training she did, I can assure you she was training like a beast to build what I would consider to be a very sexy athletic body. She didn't get there, nor did she get that waist and those abs just going in and lifting a few weights a few days per week. She had to be putting in a lot of time and volume to achieve that.

I think she looks good both ways, but I typically prefer a more athletic look of the 2nd picture.

I have mixed feelings on the article in general...but my original advice would stand to just not do a lot of direct ab work...I don't do much direct ab work because I already have relatively substantial abs due to previous training and a little bit of fat on what is an otherwise lean body in my case makes me look like I have more of a gut than I really do.

• miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    I read the article and to be perfectly honest, the tone is a complete turn off for me. The guy reads like a jerk, and a highly presumptuous one at that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    miss_aims wrote: »
    I read the article and to be perfectly honest, the tone is a complete turn off for me. The guy reads like a jerk, and a highly presumptuous one at that.

That pretty well sums up about 99.9% of the articles on T-Nation. That's one of the bro-iest bro sites that ever did bro.