Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much fruit to eat per day

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I'm comfortably full with about 3.5 ounces of chicken or steak, 3.5 ounces of broccoli (with 4 g of butter), and 5 ounces of potato (with 14 g of light sour cream.)

I like 3 meals and a bed time snack. I'm 5'6", 49, female.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I prefer 8-12oz depending on the sides. That's dinner though. Half that for lunch. Breakfast is usually eggs/bacon with some type of carb (pancake, waffle, toast).
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

Side observation, the only people I know who are filled up or feel satiated by fat, are those following LCHF. So out of curiosity, what do you find fills you up more: an 8oz piece of chicken or an 8 oz ribeye?

seems an overly large amount of meat for a meal but I don't really buy chicken so can't comment.

I think the LCHF people are really saying that their diet is satiating, not a specific food item out of context. So a carbivore may be satisfied by a starch bomb potato but not the equivalent amount of something fatty, especially if they eat like a bison rather than a lion ie large volumes are key for them.

I don't doubt that tested individually in the context of a mixed diet the fatty foods may not be that satiating, but it's well recorded that LCHF or perhaps just LC voluntarily reduce calorie intake when told to eat ad lib. Studies have shown that for 60 years or more.

It would only be a large amount of meat for someone who has a lower TDEE, poor body composition or someone not active. Comparing you and I, there is a 1000 calorie difference, 20 years difference and I suspect there are other big difference between body composition and maybe activity level (BTW, if you go over to the gaining weight section, the average person there is maintaining at 2800-3300 calories, so I would fall in the standard deviation there). But then again, I have always been a huge volume eater. As a teen I was eating large or extra large pizzas, 3 McDonalds BigMacs, etc... And my son seems to be following in my footsteps. As a 5 1/2 month old, he is eating more food than any of my friends 1 years olds... has transitioned to solids much quicker and now has advanced stages within solids (for a benchmark, he will eat a whole avocado at 200g and a banana at 120g).

An 8 oz portion of meat at a meal sounds like part of the "how to get fat" playbook. As you got fat eating all those things I hope you're going to give your son a better lead in due course ;-)

600 calories and 63 grams of protein, the latter being the RDI, seems excessive for the typical human at a meal by any objective measure.

Dude, you need to come over and experience the glories of the American agricultural system. An 8 oz petite filet is just table stakes; I looked at the menus of some of the expense-account type steakhouses (where the majority of the patrons are svelte and professional) and the offerings include a 19 oz NY Strip, a 22 oz Cowboy Ribeye, a 21 oz Kansas City cut sirloin, and a 40 oz Tomahawk Ribeye (also a 48 oz "Porterhouse for 2"). I have a hard time putting a dent in even the smaller 12-oz monsters (although a full 8 ounces sure would be handy the get me partway to my protein macro on lifting days) but my predominantly male coworkers, who are impeccably tailored and fit to an annoying degree, have no problems polishing them off and then eating dessert. As can my husband, who is 6 ft tall, very slim, and hasn't gained a pound since college with no particular fitness or diet efforts.

Feast your eyes on the glorious expanses of beef: http://www.smithandwollensky.com/

Just come visit @lemurcat12 and she can hook you up with the ones in Chicago.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Side observation, the only people I know who are filled up or feel satiated by fat, are those following LCHF. So out of curiosity, what do you find fills you up more: an 8oz piece of chicken or an 8 oz ribeye?

seems an overly large amount of meat for a meal but I don't really buy chicken so can't comment.

I think the LCHF people are really saying that their diet is satiating, not a specific food item out of context. So a carbivore may be satisfied by a starch bomb potato but not the equivalent amount of something fatty, especially if they eat like a bison rather than a lion ie large volumes are key for them.

I don't doubt that tested individually in the context of a mixed diet the fatty foods may not be that satiating, but it's well recorded that LCHF or perhaps just LC voluntarily reduce calorie intake when told to eat ad lib. Studies have shown that for 60 years or more.

It would only be a large amount of meat for someone who has a lower TDEE, poor body composition or someone not active. Comparing you and I, there is a 1000 calorie difference, 20 years difference and I suspect there are other big difference between body composition and maybe activity level (BTW, if you go over to the gaining weight section, the average person there is maintaining at 2800-3300 calories, so I would fall in the standard deviation there). But then again, I have always been a huge volume eater. As a teen I was eating large or extra large pizzas, 3 McDonalds BigMacs, etc... And my son seems to be following in my footsteps. As a 5 1/2 month old, he is eating more food than any of my friends 1 years olds... has transitioned to solids much quicker and now has advanced stages within solids (for a benchmark, he will eat a whole avocado at 200g and a banana at 120g).

An 8 oz portion of meat at a meal sounds like part of the "how to get fat" playbook. As you got fat eating all those things I hope you're going to give your son a better lead in due course ;-)

600 calories and 63 grams of protein, the latter being the RDI, seems excessive for the typical human at a meal by any objective measure.

Pretty much every steak I eat is over 300g (11+ oz), and to me that's a perfect amount. I thought that was normal lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I routinely eat 8 oz of meat at dinner (at least that, often more). I'm a 5'7" female, 145 lbs, 35 years old, and breastfeeding my 8 month old. I need the calories and the protein. But, then, I prefer to eat two or three large meals rather than nibbling throughout the day. For me nice, big, juicy portions of beef, pork, poultry, or fish with my dinner keep me thin. I don't usually feel the need to snack in the evening, and the treats I keep on hand for my kids aren't half as appealing or tempting when I'm still nice and full from dinner.

8 oz of meat at one meal of the day is fairly common for me, and I'm 5' 3", 116 lbs, 41 yrs old and have a sedentary job. I exercise enough now to make me active, but I would eat like that even when I was not exercising both before I started losing weight and after.

And I've never been overweight, so no, @yarwell it is not necessarily a ticket to getting fat.

Personally, I can't eat 8oz of beef at a time, but I think that's more a taste issue than anything else. I like steak, but get tired of it pretty quickly. On the other hand, 8 oz of chicken, fish or pork is no problem.

If I eat that much meat for one meal, the sides are almost always steamed, roasted (w/ a tsp oil) or pickled vegetables. I do have a really nice recipe for baked apples that uses just a little boiled apple cider for sweetness that I love with the pork.
  • thinorthin2
    thinorthin2 Posts: 3 Member
    80%carbs.meaning fruit.leaving the other 20%to split between fat and protien
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    80%carbs.meaning fruit.leaving the other 20%to split between fat and protien

Yeah, good luck with that :p
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    briteyes wrote: »
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.
    So eat as much fruit as you'd like! Curb the fat.
    Source: Lost 25+ pounds on a high carb low-fat diet.

It is not unhealthy to eat low carbs. It is however unhealthy to eat high carbs and high fat together, which is likely what has caused most overweight people to be overweight. Teaching the body how to use fat for fuel is a very efficient way to lose body fat, maintain muscle mass, and actually achieve your weight loss goals once and for all. High Fat Low Carb all the way every day! That's what keeps the doctor away!People need to pick their diet and stick with it. Or cycle it properly. Don't eat fat with carbs, and when you eat carbs be sure to use them up before they're stored as fat. If you're not going to be working out, skip the carbs, but not the fat. If you just worked out, skip the fat and go for some protein/carbs - especially some fruit!!!
    Source: Lost 25 pounds eating HFLC.

You lost 25 pounds because you ate fewer calories than you were burning, not due to some food combining plan.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Food combining has been around for many many years. The principal is that some foods need different amounts of acid to digest them as well as other foods needing different conflicting digesting times. The book I'm thinking of was, Food Combining For Health, I saw a copy back in the 80's so it is probably out of print now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Food combining has been around for many many years. The principal is that some foods need different amounts of acid to digest them as well as other foods needing different conflicting digesting times. The book I'm thinking of was, Food Combining For Health, I saw a copy back in the 80's so it is probably out of print now.

In the battle between (1) evolution's design of our digestive systems, and (2) evolution's design of our brains, I'm thinking the former is probably better at handling food combination issues than the latter. Just a hunch, though - no footnotes. ;)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »

In the battle between (1) evolution's design of our digestive systems, and (2) evolution's design of our brains, I'm thinking the former is probably better at handling food combination issues than the latter. Just a hunch, though - no footnotes. ;)

Yes, I imagine our bodies are rather proficient at digesting mixed meals...
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight. You'll more likely gain weight from consuming fatty foods.
    Fat consumed is easily stored. It is not readily used as an energy source and therefore not burned unless you are eating very little carbs (which is an unhealthy practice).
    Carbs, on the other hand, are readily used as energy but not so easily stored. Once your body can no longer use the calories from carbs as energy, the carbs are not stored as fat. They are stored as glycogen in the liver and the muscles. It is only after those stores are filled that carbs can be stored as fat. And you would have to eat WAY more carbs than you realistically already eat in order to do that.

What? This is science straight out of the 1970's- lol
    Calories in/calories burnt, is the only thing that matters in weight loss. Eat too much fruit (or anything) and you gain weight, eat less than you need and you lose weight. For weight loss purposes it matters not what you eat- pure lard, leanest beef, potatoes, or mars bars, only how much in total.
    Simple.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member

this is so much nonsense, please op just skip over this one, it is completely false information
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Usually a couple times a day and I've found if I have a apple after eating it helps fill me up and keeps my desire for sugar down.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't eat fruit really, not because of bloat or rules or whatever, I just don't like it much. if I buy apples or oranges they often go bad before they're eaten so I just stopped buying them.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Does it make you bloat or put on weight

Hi Matt
    FWIW I start every day with a Banana, Then I have an Apple,Pear, Nectarine or two Plums with Lunch and 2 or 3 Clementines with Dinner, the quantity depends on the size.

I have eaten this much for my entire weight loss journey and now that I am working on maintaining I still am eating three fruit portions a day. I do work them into my Calories for the day. What I did with Maintenance is go for larger fruits to increase the portion. For Example form a Small to medium Banana or Apple to large ones, and from two smallish Clementines to two large one or three small ones.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight.
    You have obviously never see me lose my freaking mind during cherry season.

I'm fixing to lose my mind for strawberry season. :D

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You could eat fruit all day and not gain weight.
    You have obviously never see me lose my freaking mind during cherry season.

I'm fixing to lose my mind for strawberry season. :D

Me too. All scheduled and everything. ;-)