Daily Check In Thread

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    I did W4D1 yesterday. I'm not sure if all the C25K apps are the same but mine was: warm up walk 5 min, R3W2, R4W3, R4W3, R3W2, cool down walk 5 min. While I do remember running 1 minute being tough, this run was by far the hardest for me yet. My lungs were on fire and mentally I struggled against the "I can't do this". I'm proud I kept going though. Day 2 and 3 this week is the same with the middle two runs being FIVE minutes each.
    Anyone else struggle at this week? I'm trying to psych myself up for the dreaded week 5!

Your lungs should not be "on fire". In fact, you should be able to talk. Slow down, if it's so bad. My first run intervals were barely faster than my walk ones.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Week 4 is often the hardest for people. Get through this and you know you can finish it! Agreed that you might need to slow down. Have fun!
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Finished w4d2 today. I love being able to run those five-minute stretches. My t-shirt was especially soaked today when I was done. (It may be time to look into wicking fabric LOL)

Tech shirts make a huge difference. But don't limit the anti-wicking fabrics to your shirt. I have stay-dry sport socks for running and had to get different undergarments. NO COTTON. Cotton leads to chaffing. Not fun. I was out for days thanks to cotton.
  • PantoneRed
    PantoneRed Posts: 40 Member
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Week 4 is often the hardest for people. Get through this and you know you can finish it!

Week 1 Day 2 isn't the hardest?? :s Made it but barely. It's a challenge but I'm up for it.

• cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    I did W4D1 yesterday. I'm not sure if all the C25K apps are the same but mine was: warm up walk 5 min, R3W2, R4W3, R4W3, R3W2, cool down walk 5 min. While I do remember running 1 minute being tough, this run was by far the hardest for me yet. My lungs were on fire and mentally I struggled against the "I can't do this". I'm proud I kept going though. Day 2 and 3 this week is the same with the middle two runs being FIVE minutes each.
    Anyone else struggle at this week? I'm trying to psych myself up for the dreaded week 5!

I used the Zen Labs app. Week 4 (all three days) was warm-up walk, jog 3 mins, walk 90 secs, jog 5 mins, walk 2.5 mins, jog 3 mins, walk 90 secs, jog 5 mins, cool-down.

Slow down. A lot of people, myself included, have to slow down as the runs get longer. Focus on your breathing. I spent my first few weeks focusing on breathing, even while just out walking around. Deep breaths through the diaphragm.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    W7D3 done!! I left work early to get my run in as we have had a disrupted schedule with 2 life events. I ran a PB hopped in the shower and was out the door to go out of town, still sweating a bit!! BUT I did it! This level of commitment from me is unheard of, I think I'm losing friends b/c I am turning down social invitations if they interfere with my workout schedule. There was a day when nothing interfered with my social life:) I hope I can keep the dedication up once I reach my goal on June 11th. Keep on keepin' on!! And if you're struggling, slow down-best advice I have gotten.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    cwolfgram wrote: »

Tech shirts make a huge difference. But don't limit the anti-wicking fabrics to your shirt. I have stay-dry sport socks for running and had to get different undergarments. NO COTTON. Cotton leads to chaffing. Not fun. I was out for days thanks to cotton.

Yeah I learned my lesson with socks after getting my first blisters from cotton. After that, it was wicking socks all the way and nothing else.
  • inka912
    inka912 Posts: 66 Member
    Week 3 day 2 finished! I thought I wasn't able to make it. So during the second 90 sec/3min repetition I had to slow down a bit but then I decided to run the last 3 min of cool down again. My first 5k run is on June 4th, I hope I'll be ready by then :)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Well. I was *going to* put off w4d3 until tomorrow since I had two workouts yesterday (that's what happens when I have a high-anxiety day), but today's "light walk" turned into "let's see how long I can run without stopping!" Heh. I ran a full mile in 13:56. I am going to be sore tomorrow. Looks like w4d3 will wait until Friday. <facepalm>
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I attempted W6D3 today, but couldn't complete it. :/ I think I've had to take too many days off and my willpower just wasn't there. I kept having to slow to a walk. I probably would have skipped today too (like I said, my willpower is shot) except that 1) I had a big lunch and needed the calories so I can eat dinner; and 2) we have another spring storm headed our way and I may not be able to run outside again until next week unless want to get out there and run in the wet and cold.
  • sueann10
    sueann10 Posts: 74 Member
    Completed W7 D1! I simply can't believe 7 weeks ago I couldn't run! What a brilliant app C25K is :) I agree with everyone who said running is only hard mentally as I constantly have to stop myself from looking at my phone to check the countdown; my body was fine. We can do this All!
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    cwolfgram wrote: »

I used the Zen Labs app. Week 4 (all three days) was warm-up walk, jog 3 mins, walk 90 secs, jog 5 mins, walk 2.5 mins, jog 3 mins, walk 90 secs, jog 5 mins, cool-down.

Slow down. A lot of people, myself included, have to slow down as the runs get longer. Focus on your breathing. I spent my first few weeks focusing on breathing, even while just out walking around. Deep breaths through the diaphragm.

Oddly I wasn't going any faster than any previous times. I think for me, my issue was just low energy to begin with that day. Looking back, I didn't eat enough in the daytime AND it's 'that time of the month'. I will definitely check my pace though and focus on the breath. Another thing that run, was I kept checking my time to see 'how much longer to run' whereas I need to instead just focus on the run itself and enjoying it. I'll get there!! Thanks everyone! Love this group!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Good morning! I've been lurking on this forum for a little while now :smile: I've been cycling for years and have always wanted to incorporate running into my routine since it has an effect on my everyday life, plus it can be done with little to no special equipment.

Started C25K on the 20th and just did Week 2, Day 2 yesterday. Feeling stronger than ever! Today is a rest day for me but I'll be doing W2D3 tomorrow after work and I'm thinking about repeating one more day of week 2 on the weekend before heading into Week 3 on Monday.

For those of you that think you're too heavy to start, I'm currently about 245 lbs and yes, it is tough but you will push through it if you get your mind in the right place. Yesterday's "run" was a great confidence booster, as I saw my average speed naturally go up and I pushed through on a day that I would much rather have eaten dinner and gone to sleep early. Anyway, just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. There's a lot of awesomeness going on in this thread :smile:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    I attempted W6D3 today, but couldn't complete it. :/ I think I've had to take too many days off and my willpower just wasn't there. I kept having to slow to a walk. I probably would have skipped today too (like I said, my willpower is shot) except that 1) I had a big lunch and needed the calories so I can eat dinner; and 2) we have another spring storm headed our way and I may not be able to run outside again until next week unless want to get out there and run in the wet and cold.

Running in the rain can be refreshing, but not the cold rain. Hope you find your willpower soon!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Running in the rain can be refreshing, but not the cold rain. Hope you find your willpower soon!

I know some people run outside in all kinds of weather, but I'm not that dedicated yet and don't have all the proper gear. I'll put in some treadmill time and do Zumba until the weather gets better. I haven't tried running in the rain yet - it's still to early in the year to have warm rain and I'm not sure we ever get warm rain that isn't a thunderstorm.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Hi all! I'm new here, but it's nice to be able to talk about my newest obsession. Although he is very supportive, I'm sure my husband is tired of hearing about C25K lol

Anyway, I finished week 2 yesterday and I'm feeling great. In fact, my phone died on me during one of my runs this week and I had run way longer than the 90 seconds before I realized that it was not going to tell me to start walking lol That gives me confidence that I can keep going! :)

Speaking of my phone dying, I have the ZenLabs app and it seems to drain my battery like crazy! Well, I suppose it's the combination of the C25K app, Fitbit (to track distance/speed) and Spotify all at once that drains the battery, but I have to make sure that I leave the house with at least 60% power on my phone (iPhone 5) or I could guarantee that my phone will die at some point before I make it home.
  • Aine8046
    Week5 Day 2 done !
  • Aine8046
    PantoneRed wrote: »
    Week 4 is often the hardest for people. Get through this and you know you can finish it!

Week 1 Day 2 isn't the hardest?? :s Made it but barely. It's a challenge but I'm up for it.

LOL
  • Aine8046
    edited April 2016
    famousmel wrote: »
    W7D3 done!! I left work early to get my run in as we have had a disrupted schedule with 2 life events. I ran a PB hopped in the shower and was out the door to go out of town, still sweating a bit!! BUT I did it! This level of commitment from me is unheard of, I think I'm losing friends b/c I am turning down social invitations if they interfere with my workout schedule. There was a day when nothing interfered with my social life:) I hope I can keep the dedication up once I reach my goal on June 11th. Keep on keepin' on!! And if you're struggling, slow down-best advice I have gotten.

Great strike! It's an awesome feeling when you realize you can run for half an hour non-stop! :)
  • Aine8046
    inka912 wrote: »
    Week 3 day 2 finished! I thought I wasn't able to make it. So during the second 90 sec/3min repetition I had to slow down a bit but then I decided to run the last 3 min of cool down again. My first 5k run is on June 4th, I hope I'll be ready by then :)

I also have a race on June 4th! :) Keep it up!