Did you swim today?

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    1800 49:41
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    4 miles.
    The first 6000m was 3x2000. Third dya in row I could keep a 1m50s/100yd or better for each 2000.
    Today. Finally recovered from the last China trip. Just in time for another China Trip next week.

But I will brave the troubled pool waters this time. Hopefully less crowded since it is not quite summer yet. And I really need the mental health benefits of the long swim.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    1.5 miles-- three days in a row!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    2750 yds 61 minutes. Picked up the pace ever so slightly, occasionally working on better timed kicks and improved arm position.
  • NoelFigart1
    1800 49:41
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Wow RoseB - it's a nice feeling when it's going well. And good work everyone.

I Atleast got wet today... Went with my daughter at crush time. So I probably got more excercise on the walk there and back! Still, I did some kick drills etc.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Wow RoseB - it's a nice feeling when it's going well. And good work everyone.

I Atleast got wet today... Went with my daughter at crush time. So I probably got more excercise on the walk there and back! Still, I did some kick drills etc.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Last Night was Final Session in Adult Swim Club.

Started with an all out 10 minute swim - managed 32 lengths = 800 meters

What our Coach called a broken 1200 meter Pyramid Front crawl.
    2x100m on 120
    2x50m on 90
    4x25m on 50
    2x50m on 90
    2x100m on 120
    Repeat.
    Then 8 x 50m of kick 25 Hard - 25 Medium = 400m
    All in was 2400m - a hard - solid workout.
    Flip turns and a few Dives to Finish.

Of course in keeping with Tradition we had to DUNK our coach at the end when diving. >:)

Now to find something to do on Tuesday/Thursday night for the next month to fill the Hole. At the end of May they have a Tri-Athlon Specific Swim-Club for one month and I am already signed up.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    around 3.3km in 90 min.
    600warm up
    4x100 free on 2min
    12x50 (alternate 50 free /50 back) on 1 min
    8x100 on 1:45
    4 x 100 kick
    2x(50 + 75 + 100) 15s rest
    200 cool down

The training in the 50m pool is really paying off because this was in the 25m pool and felt a lot easier than usual.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    2500m

300 warmup
    8x50 kick as odds hard evens steady on 1.15
    4x 200 free (paddles) on 3.30
    8x 100 as 4 50 back kick 50 back swim
    4 25 br kick 75 br swim
    200 easy

Final session with our coach. Now home and getting ready for a squad dinner out!
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2016
    2.65km this morning in 55mins (was meant to be 2.5km but I mucked up my maths)

500 mixed
    4x100 IM w 20s
    100 kick
    6x50m free @ 80% on 60s
    350 kick with fins
    500 mixed
    500 free with fins
  • nuffer
    Was going for a PR for 1500 yards but didn't quite get it. 2600 yards in 58 minutes. Maybe tomorrow...
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    I worked almost exclusively on kick drills, in class today--probably because I did squats and lunges last night (no, actually because I suck at kicking. Except butterfly; I have that one down). :blush:

I think the main problem with my crawl/"flutter" kicks is hip/low back weakness left over from the surgery--my form looks good, but I don't move through the water very fast; while the main problem with breaststroke/"whip" kicks is flexing at the ankle...the more recently operated-on ankle keeps forgetting to flex.

I watch YouTube videos of good kicking before I go to sleep at night...but then perversely, I dream about sprinting, and pull-ups, instead. :flushed:

I think mostly I need to be patient with myself; it took just over a full year to walk mostly-normally again, and I had learned that, before the injury/surgery misadventure. :wink:

That said, has anyone used "dry land" exercises in pursuit of better kicking, and if so, what worked for you?
    Thanks! :smile:
  • NoelFigart1
    2000 55:46

My pool has a fifty mile club every summer. They call 2000 yards a mile, so I assume they're going for the nautical mile. Open water training can't count; it's only pool miles that do.

I signed up for it, anyway. I figure that if I put in 2000 yards every weekday and do open water training on the weekends, I'll be well prepared for Alcatraz in August. And if I DON'T put that training in, I really have no damn business jumping in the SF bay, anway.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Mixed: 1 mile@ 66 minutes.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited May 2016
    A packing traveling day today.
    No swimming. Long day ahead. Another China trip.
    Planning to swim this time. Hopefully I don't get hit in the head too much.
    If I can get a picture of the pool I'll post it.
    50m length, about 25m wide. No lane ropes.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Got to the pool a little late, so 2 laps shy of 1.5 miles. Will pick up those two laps tomorrow or Wednesday--
  • nuffer
    2000 55:46

My pool has a fifty mile club every summer. They call 2000 yards a mile, so I assume they're going for the nautical mile. Open water training can't count; it's only pool miles that do.

I signed up for it, anyway. I figure that if I put in 2000 yards every weekday and do open water training on the weekends, I'll be well prepared for Alcatraz in August. And if I DON'T put that training in, I really have no damn business jumping in the SF bay, anway.

I did that informally with a friend last summer. We shared a Google Drive spreadsheet to track our progress to 50 miles. It was a fun way to build distance. But we called a mile 1780 yards :)
  • nuffer
    3700 yards in 86 minutes. Was trying for a single set of two miles but calf cramps thwarted me at the 3100 yard mark.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    I worked almost exclusively on kick drills, in class today--probably because I did squats and lunges last night (no, actually because I suck at kicking. Except butterfly; I have that one down). :blush:

I think the main problem with my crawl/"flutter" kicks is hip/low back weakness left over from the surgery--my form looks good, but I don't move through the water very fast; while the main problem with breaststroke/"whip" kicks is flexing at the ankle...the more recently operated-on ankle keeps forgetting to flex.

I watch YouTube videos of good kicking before I go to sleep at night...but then perversely, I dream about sprinting, and pull-ups, instead. :flushed:

I think mostly I need to be patient with myself; it took just over a full year to walk mostly-normally again, and I had learned that, before the injury/surgery misadventure. :wink:

That said, has anyone used "dry land" exercises in pursuit of better kicking, and if so, what worked for you?
    Thanks! :smile:

The Race Club has good info on kicking drills etc including ankle flexibility training on land.