So lately I've been struggling a little with my weight loss, I'd love some advice.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so I'm sorry if it's a bit messy. So, I've been on a losing weight journey for about 4 months going from 110 kg (242lb) to 96 kg (231lb) in the last three months. But in the last three weeks I've only managed to lose 1kg (2'2lb). I have to say that i started with 135 kg(298lb) about a year ago so I assume now it's much more difficult to lose weight now. I'm male, 19 years old, 188 cm. I'm currently eating about 2300 calories a day, divided in 140g of protein,260g of carbs and 40g of fat. I workout 5-6 times a week, about 1 hour of lifts and I don't do cardio in the gym because I move with a bicycle around 45 min everday. Until the last month this was enough to lose around 3-4 kilos a month, but in the last three weeks I only managed to lose 1 kg, so I was wondering if I should step up with the cardio or is it normal that my weight lose is slower now. Thanks a lot for reading!

Replies

• lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    edited April 2016
    It is normal for your rate of loss to slow. Continue to weigh and log your food, and if the trend continues that you are not losing as much, consider adding more activity or lowering your calories by 100 a day or so.
  • lizwooshy
    And congrats on your loss thus far :)
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    You need to adjust how many calories you're eating as you get smaller. A smaller body needs less to maintain that size.

Are you accurately weighing all solids (even mayo, peanut butter, ketchup, cream cheese, etc)? And measuring all liquids? A kitchen scale has been an absolute MUST for my own weight loss journey.
  • Sergihf
    Sergihf Posts: 21 Member
    You need to adjust how many calories you're eating as you get smaller. A smaller body needs less to maintain that size.

Are you accurately weighing all solids (even mayo, peanut butter, ketchup, cream cheese, etc)? And measuring all liquids? A kitchen scale has been an absolute MUST for my own weight loss journey.

I do use a kitchen scale for every meal , it's really nice. And about liquids, i just eat some olive oil that I use to cook and I measure it aswell. And for the calorie cut, it's better to cut on protein or on carbs to lose weight?
  • Sergihf
    lizwooshy wrote: »

Thanks a lot for the cheers, I usually eat less than 2300 calories, but my base diet it's about that many calories. Also for cutting them do i cut on proteins or carbs?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Yeah, weight loss slows down the leaner you get. Losing 0.5 lbs a week is good if weight loss is your continued aim.
  • lizwooshy
    Sergihf wrote: »

Thanks a lot for the cheers, I usually eat less than 2300 calories, but my base diet it's about that many calories. Also for cutting them do i cut on proteins or carbs?

I think that is something that you will need to expirement with and research to see what works best for you (satiety, energy levels, etc).

Side note: I havent looked at your diary, but from your description, it seems like your fat goal is pretty low. I am female and ~140 pounds and I eat more than 40 grams of fat a day.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    It's possible it's a normal plateau, these things happen. As you get closer to a healthy weight it can definitely be more difficult, your body can only metabolize so much fat at one time.

Do you eat 2300 calories each and every day or are you eating back exercise calories in addition?

Do you use a food scale?

I ran some general numbers and you should still be at a decent cut at 2300 calories, especially with all the working out you do. So it's probably that your math is somehow wrong, that you are actually eating more than you think.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    I'm not sure how tall you are, but over 2000 a day is a deficit? I'm curious about your math.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Also don't eat back your exercise calories. That really isn't a good idea when trying to lose.
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    I'm not sure how tall you are, but over 2000 a day is a deficit? I'm curious about your math.

The poster is male, so totally reasonable to be eating over 2000 cals at 230lbs.
  • Sergihf
    Sergihf wrote: »

I think that is something that you will need to expirement with and research to see what works best for you (satiety, energy levels, etc).

Side note: I havent looked at your diary, but from your description, it seems like your fat goal is pretty low. I am female and ~140 pounds and I eat more than 40 grams of fat a day.

The thing is that I don't do my own meal plan, I pay 35 euros a month to a well known spanish fitness website and they send me a diet plan, my workout and everything, so I don't really know if the macros I usually eat are good or not. To elaborate the meal plan they asked me my weight, my height and 3 photos of my body, and a bunch of questions about my daily activity.
  • Sergihf
    It's possible it's a normal plateau, these things happen. As you get closer to a healthy weight it can definitely be more difficult, your body can only metabolize so much fat at one time.

Do you eat 2300 calories each and every day or are you eating back exercise calories in addition?

Do you use a food scale?

I ran some general numbers and you should still be at a decent cut at 2300 calories, especially with all the working out you do. So it's probably that your math is somehow wrong, that you are actually eating more than you think.

I usually never hit the 2300 calories per day, I'm always around 1900. I do use a food scale and I put everything I eat in the app of myfitnesspal, and as I said in another replay, the mealplan I follow it's made by a professional theorically because I'm not an expert in this stuff and so far it has been working really well. Also, the thing that confuses me the most is that now I'm more active than before because I started working in the reception of a hotel 8 hours a day for 5 days a week, so I'm more active than ever.
  • Sergihf
    Also don't eat back your exercise calories. That really isn't a good idea when trying to lose.

I'm 6ft2 tall
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited April 2016

Going to disagree with this wholeheartedly. MFP is designed for users to eat back their exercise calories, but since the burns in MFP's database tend to be inflated and people tend to underestimate their portions, it's best to start with eating back 25 to 50%. If you lose weight at a faster rate than expected, you can increase the amount of exercise calories you eat back. However, eating back none is what isn't a good idea when trying to lose.