What is keeping you going?

What is keeping you going on your weightloss journey? What motivates you? What is your main reason for doing this?

For me, I have a few reasons. For starters, my mom had a massive heart attack and stroke and is now paralyzed and is in an assisted living facility. This was what got me started on my journey. There's also health issues, shopping in something other than plus sizes, and setting an example for my children. But what keeps me going is that in two years I will graduate college. I'm a very self-conscious person and am terrified that people will whisper about me when I'm on stage accepting my degree. I don't want to be known as "the fat chick" at my own graduation. I have a 4.0 GPA and want to be known as that awesome student who challenged her classmates. A silly reason to be sure, but that's what I think of most. Being mocked and ridiculed in front of my peers.

What are your reasons? What keeps you going?

Replies

• katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    My clothes fitting me again! Getting in a bikini! Being healthy!
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    I just keep seeing myself as this confident, smaller, boss *kitten* bia with all my goals accomplished and feeling like i can take on the world
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Right now I'm not quite sure since it's been 5 weeks since I lost an oz.

I feel smaller, I feel healthier and I'm working out and eating better....overall it's a good feeling. Just wish the scale would cooperate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Health, freedom to do what I want to do and feeling great, keeping up with my family, smaller clothes, not being embarrased of photos of me.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Sheer stubbornness and determination.

• bkinsey1979
    bkinsey1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Twenty years from now, I don't want to be where my mother is today (and I don't want my kid to be where I am today). Outrunning things like adult onset diabetes is my primary motivation. Secondary motivations (but no less important) include playing with my kid and being strong enough to still carry him out of Target if he's throwing a tantrum.

I want the pounds gone but fitness/strength are my top priority.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    My mom has Type 2 diabetes and congestive heart failure and can't do pretty much anything. No thank you.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Lucy1771 wrote: »
    Sheer stubbornness and determination.

Same here!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    seeing myself getting leaner and leaner keeps me going. eventually feeling completely comfortable and confident in my body, my skin, keeps me motivated.
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    I want to look a bit smaller in the mirror, I want to feel better about being me. I want to be scooped up off my feet (and not worry I'll break my guys back). I want to donate a kidney for my mom. So I'm not the fat mom anymore. Lots of reasons
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    What keeps me going is ... success.

25 kg down ... maybe a couple more to go.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Looking good is motivating me to keep going, I want to buy gorgeous clothes and not clothes that 'will do for now' because I am not happy with my weight. I want to get my sense of style back with a good quality wardrobe! When I reach my goal, I am going on a major shopping spree and I bloody can't wait! I hate feeling frumpy and I've been feeling frumpy for too long!

I also have a friend who is on the same weight loss path as me (I inspired her :smile: but she helped me get back on track). We are currently at the same weight and have the same goal weight. We bounce off each other and that really helps :smile:

What also keeps me going is that I eat whatever I want, no restrictions so long as it fits on my daily calorie intake. I could not have done this (15kg down) otherwise.
  • mahatai
    mahatai Posts: 1 Member
    Three things:

1. Feeling healthier.
    2. Being able to do gymnastic stretches without fat blobs getting in the way!
    3. And looking at some of my beautiful clothes that don't fit me any more :s
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    For starters, my mom had a massive heart attack and stroke and is now paralyzed and is in an assisted living facility.

My "starter" was nearly identical to yours. And to be honest, terror of ending up like her. I am her primary caregiver, and caring for someone with morbid obesity is very, very difficult. Even thin people have strokes and become paralyzed, but it is so much easier to care for someone who is of a smaller size.

Honesty I'm struggling with the "keeping going" part right now. I feel fantastic (as fantastic as having lupus will allow me to, that is). I've dropped 88 lbs and gone from a BMI of 39.9 to 26.9. I set an initial goal of 90 lbs, I increased that to 95 a few months ago. Part of me thinks I should increase it even further to 105 lbs, and part of me says "girl, you're great as you are."

Then I think about how much easier it is to get around now as opposed to 20 lbs ago and I find motivation to stay the course, at least for another day.
  • bigdogintheyard
    bigdogintheyard Posts: 15 Member
    I started because i was at my biggest ever after having two bouts of yo yo dieting in the last couple of years. I really felt the weight. It was hard to do normal things like walk around a store or put on shoes.

I watch tons of bodybuilding and fitness youtube videos and dream everyday about being in killer shape, strong and lean! Deep down though I am terrified to stop. What will happen? Will I get even bigger than ever before. Absolute terror keeps me going. I don't want to be fat, sick and depressed.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    My mom is diabetic. Heart disease runs in the family. I simply want to be fit and healthy for the first time in my life.

Plus, I'm going to run the OKC Memorial (Half) Marathon April 2017!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    What's motivating me is a little bit of hope.
  • Honest_Angie
    Honest_Angie Posts: 37 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I've dropped 88 lbs and gone from a BMI of 39.9 to 26.9. I set an initial goal of 90 lbs, I increased that to 95 a few months ago.

That's an amazing loss!!! I'm only at the beginning of my journey and have a long way to go. I'm averaging 1.2 lbs a week without exercise. I've lost 14 lbs so far, but knowing I have over 150 still to go to reach my long-term goal makes me sometimes feel hopeless. It's always so inspirational to see someone who has lost such a substantial amount. It makes me feel hopeful about my own journey.

Keep going! You're doing amazing!!!

• christyisard
    christyisard Posts: 23 Member
    Looking back at pictures of when I was smaller! Wanting to be at that healthy feeling and weight again!