popcorn

if i pop popcorn with coconut oil and use spray butter and salt substitute, how much popcorn would be allowed?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Use the recipe builder. Your serving size is entirely dependent upon you.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    As much as you want, that can fit into your calorie goal.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    My family loves popcorn! We use coconut oil too. Tastes great and popcorn is a nice fibery snack. Anyway, we figured with our 6 quart popper at capacity we use 2 tbs coconut oil. We measure out five popped cups for me and I log 2 tsp coconut oil out of that and five cups air popped because there are a lot of entries that get confusing.

Also, have you tried it with just salt? It tastes great to me popped with coconut oil and salt added. Nothing else and then you don't have to worry about how much that spray adds up to.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member

This is the correct answer although probably not what the OP wants.

jingles0231, do you know that you can make microwave popcorn using nothing but popcorn? Put the kernels in a paper bag and pop. Eat all you want without any guilt.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

jingles0231, do you know that you can make microwave popcorn using nothing but popcorn? Put the kernels in a paper bag and pop. Eat all you want without any guilt.

I've tried this a couple of times, different microwaves. The small % of kernels that did pop were too dry for any topping to stick.

Anyway - I use a Presto microwave popping bowl with 1 teaspoon of oil .......salt sticks pretty well.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

I've tried this a couple of times, different microwaves. The small % of kernels that did pop were too dry for any topping to stick.

Anyway - I use a Presto microwave popping bowl with 1 teaspoon of oil .......salt sticks pretty well.

I have the same microwave popper - works great. Oil or no oil.
  • m_keezy35
    m_keezy35 Posts: 19 Member
    You should try Skinny Pop popcorn 3.5cups is 150cal. It's my favorite snack :smile:
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    I have an air popper. Nice big popped kernels. A little salt and that's it. So good and great source of fiber.
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    I do my popcorn in a stock pot on the stove. Works great! No special equipment needed. I just need to fine tune the serving, because both times I made it there were leftovers. Just stored those in a Ziploc to finish later. I do believe for both me and my husband 1/4 cup unpopped kernels and a couple tablespoons oil will do.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    We cook it on the stove in a pot like River314. Usually canola oil (coconut oil yielded smaller, tougher popcorn, butter burns, olive oil burns). Like it with salt, nutritional yeast, and sometimes chili powder. Yum yum yum.

OP - just measure/weigh the oil, and the unpopped popcorn, that's the total calories, slightly overestimated since not all the oil will "stick" but close enough.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I have a hot-air popper, so I measure out the weight of kernels that you're supposed to use in the popper, how many calories are in 2 tbs of butter, and then divided it by 2 since the missus and I split the bowl. Pretty easy and straight-forward :)
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    I have a stir pop
  • callmeAl19
    callmeAl19 Posts: 9 Member
    I use the Presto bowl as well and pop it with no oil. After it's popped, I spray a little olive oil using my sprayer and then add salt.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member

This. Pop it in a brown paper lunch bag, no additives. Then measure out whatever you want to top it with, or eat it plain.

I like mine with a mix of melted butter and coconut oil, and a few shakes of salt, which I don't even track anymore (the salt) - I just drink extra water. :smiley:

And now I need popcorn.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    I like the 100 calorie smart pop kettle corn bags too. Kernel seasonings especially nacho cheese one is super good and low calorie to add to any popcorn.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I gotta say, though, that the taste of plain popcorn is growing on me, especially piping hot!
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Love popcorn, but people don't eat Microwave popcorn! Its terrible for you.
    "The bag almost all microwave popcorn varieties come in is lined with perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA). This chemical is the same toxic stuff found in teflon pots and pans. It can stay in the environment and in the human body for long periods of time. This chemical when heated has been linked to infertility, cancer and other diseases in lab animals. No long term studies have been conducted on humans, but the EPA lists this substance as a carcinogen. "
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    We have a stovetop stir popper. Our current kick is to pop it with flavored olive oils from an oil & vinegar shop (jalapeno or smoked oils are really good). I use about 1-2 Tbsp oil and about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of kernels and a sprinkle of sea salt. We haven't had popcorn since I started tracking again but that is only because we ran out and I forgot to add it the grocery list the last time I went.

The hubby and I usually share the bowl so I doubt I'm going to be super worried about tracking accurately since popcorn nights are only once a week or so - I'll probably use a microwave option and overestimate (like going out to eat). If it was something we were doing all the time, I'd figure out a different way to track it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    The nutrition label on my bag of dry popcorn states that the serving size is 2 or 3 tablespoons. Air-popping that and spraying a little oil on it is going to add possibly as few at 0 calories from the oil and whatever the nutrition label says on the popcorn, which I'm going to guess is less than 100 calories for that volume. As with all food, portion control and moderation is key.