I Messed Up :(

Ok so....it final time and I am getting ready to write my five page essay about homelessness and policies *gulp*! So, what do I do? I say, 'Hey, honey! Mind running through Burger King for me and getting me something to eat, so i can stay awake and type this essay?'. Ugh....whyyyyy did I make such a horrible decision?!?!?! I have been doing so well trying to eat right and work out. I am beyond disappointed din myself! Need some major encouragement please!

Replies

• Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    It's called stress eating. Sometimes life gets in the way. Don't beat yourself up too badly. Start over on your next snack. Studying still requires midnight snack time, right? Choose an apple and drink lots of water. Focus on your studies and keep moving forward. You got this!!!!!
  • DenverGirl93
    DenverGirl93 Posts: 32 Member
    it happened, its in the past, now get back on track. No sense beating yourself up about it. :wink:
  • DennisA70
    DennisA70 Posts: 115 Member
    It's great that you recognize the mistake. That is the first step. Next step is to figure out what you can learn from it, so you can correct the behavior next time. Think positive. This is a learning experience.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Burger King won't help you stay awake. That was just an excuse to get Burger King. If anything, digesting a big Burger King meal will make you more tired than before. Have a diet soda next time for the caffeine, if you want to stay awake. What might help you is going low-carb in your food choices for a while, so you eventually don't crave things like buns and fries and most of the types of food that fast food places sell.
  • TasiaD28
    TasiaD28 Posts: 14 Member
    Ya'll are awesome!!
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    Burger King won't help you stay awake. That was just an excuse to get Burger King. If anything, digesting a big Burger King meal will make you more tired than before. Have a diet soda next time for the caffeine, if you want to stay awake. What might help you is going low-carb in your food choices for a while, so you eventually don't crave things like buns and fries and most of the types of food that fast food places sell.

....Yes it probably was just an excuse to eat a burger and fries that I have not had in a while, but I know to make better choices next time. Wish I would have remembered those times that I felt awful after eating it....

I know that I can make better choices next time, but for some reason, I just felt really depressed about not seeing much results after working out and eating better. Which is sill because it has only been about two weeks and I cannot possible expect to see much results that fast! I have even been trying to cut out meat (most days) and gluten. I am losing weight and feeling more muscle, but I still feel gross. I think that feeling on top of stress on my finals just gave me a "whatever" attitude. I am trying to stay positive and say that tomorrow is a new day and I will just run in the morning and work out again when my son takes a nap and make better eating choices....but tomorrow is also his bday, which means pizza, mango key lime pie (which he loves), cupcakes that I am making ad whatever anyone else is bringing. There will be some salad there though ;-)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2016
    Ya'll are awesome!!
    DanSTL82 wrote: »

....Yes it probably was just an excuse to eat a burger and fries that I have not had in a while, but I know to make better choices next time. Wish I would have remembered those times that I felt awful after eating it....

I know that I can make better choices next time, but for some reason, I just felt really depressed about not seeing much results after working out and eating better. Which is sill because it has only been about two weeks and I cannot possible expect to see much results that fast! I have even been trying to cut out meat (most days) and gluten. I am losing weight and feeling more muscle, but I still feel gross. I think that feeling on top of stress on my finals just gave me a "whatever" attitude. I am trying to stay positive and say that tomorrow is a new day and I will just run in the morning and work out again when my son takes a nap and make better eating choices....but tomorrow is also his bday, which means pizza, mango key lime pie (which he loves), cupcakes that I am making ad whatever anyone else is bringing. There will be some salad there though ;-)

Sounds like it was more than just your paper eating at you. I understand how stressful deadlines can be. Particularly big projects. Papers that require ridiculous amounts of research and then the time it take to synthesize it all. Then rereading it to make sure it actually makes sense (have I written any papers lately?). My downfall is that I have a really hard time focusing when I am at home. I have gotten to the point of going to the library to do my work. That makes planning even more important. Although at home, there is delivery, because hey, I can get a couple more pages written while I wait for the delivery which will save me all that time on cooking. Seriously, queen of excuses! You can do it, but the important thing is to not beat yourself up for the concessional poor choice (I'm not even saying that's what this is because, Burger King, hello!) that you will make along the way. It just is what it is.

Additionally, it sounds like you may be trying to be overly restrictive on your diet choices. Only you can make that decision. For most people, unless there is a medical reason, there is no need to cut out gluten, and meat is really a personal choice. If you are feeling bleh, tired, and stressed out, look at how many calories per day you are eating. Are you eating enough food? At 5'2" and in my 40s I can lose nearly 2lb/week on 1600 calories. Maybe you need to consider taking it a little easier on yourself.
  • TasiaD28
    edited May 2016

I tried cutting out the gluten because I think it was making me bloated and irritable. I did the same for meat because sometimes, after I eat it, I feel kind of bloated also. Maybe it is in my head lol! I have been trying a more vegetarian approach, although not everyday because I am not a vegan by any means. I feel lighter and have more energy when I eat like that. I even use the RAW Protein my shakes and I feel more nourished, rather than using brands like muscle tech and other brands like that. Another problem for today was all I had time to do was a mile run and I tried to do another work out but my son was climbing all over me lol.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited May 2016

I tried cutting out the gluten because I think it was making me bloated and irritable. I did the same for meat because sometimes, after I eat it, I feel kind of bloated also. Maybe it is in my head lol! I have been trying a more vegetarian approach, although not everyday because I am not a vegan by any means. I feel lighter and have more energy when I eat like that. I even use the RAW Protein my shakes and I feel more nourished, rather than using brands like muscle tech and other brands like that. Another problem for today was all I had time to do was a mile run and I tried to do another work out but my son was climbing all over me lol.

Fair enough!

ETA: Still don't beat yourself up though.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    I had final exams last week and went over my goal by about 200 calories a day all week. Stress sucks. But you just have to tell yourself that you can't change what already happened. It isn't the end of the world. You can still lose. And now you have a slightly better idea of what makes you want to eat. Good luck on your paper, you can do it! :smile:

(Also, I second what @nutmegoreo said about gluten. There is absolutely no reason to cut gluten unless you have a medical reason.)
  • timandjaneth
    timandjaneth Posts: 1 Member
    On the bright side, Burger King Burgers do not have as much sodium as other fast food burgers. But like the others have said, don't beat yourself over 1 cheat meal. Maybe just spend a few extra minutes in the gym for the week to burn it off. Good Luck!!
  • TasiaD28
    On the bright side, Burger King Burgers do not have as much sodium as other fast food burgers. But like the others have said, don't beat yourself over 1 cheat meal. Maybe just spend a few extra minutes in the gym for the week to burn it off. Good Luck!!

Haha! Thank you, I didn't know that lol.

• sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Did the burger taste good? If it did, and you're not doing it very often, then it's okay. Just eat less for the next few days (or not). It won't make a difference if it's not a habit. Last week we ate at a little Mom & Pop type restaurant & I had a hand pattied double bacon cheeseburger that I couldn't even get my mouth around. My husband said he had never saw me eat so much. My response? "Hell yeah baby it was good!"
  • TasiaD28
    edited May 2016
    Did the burger taste good? If it did, and you're not doing it very often, then it's okay. Just eat less for the next few days (or not). It won't make a difference if it's not a habit. Last week we ate at a little Mom & Pop type restaurant & I had a hand pattied double bacon cheeseburger that I couldn't even get my mouth around. My husband said he had never saw me eat so much. My response? "Hell yeah baby it was good!"

OMG this made me laugh! I have out eaten my husband on a few occasions! Mom and Pop restaurants are THE BEST! There are a few around me that I love! I am sure tomorrow, since it is my son's 2nd bday, I will indulge just a little bit...I'm not going to skip my workout though! I might just do one of those 1,000 calorie burn workouts on YouTube lol. Whether they really help you burn 1,000 cals or not is the question. There is this one lady on YouTube, Christine Salus, who is intense! I love doing her workouts, plus FitnessBlender and Jessica Smith. I can't really afford the gym right now, since I am going to school and not working as much, so I do their workouts.
    They help and I have lost about 10lbs doing them (only 10 more lbs and I am at my goal :smiley: )!
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    It's not all or nothing. It's consistency. Don't beat yourself up and remember the most important thing is to learn to be at peace with your decisions. You are in control of you, nobody else.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Yes, don't over react. People act like not falling off routine is important but it's actually seamlessly getting back on routine that really matters!
    On a busy week that included finals & a family members birthday I would consider setting myself to maintenance and then resuming my normal deficit when the dust settled. In the end, the number of weeks you spend in maintenance will greatly outnumber the weeks you were actively dieting. Might as well get comfortable with that whole concept when it makes sense. xo
  • vilenski193
    vilenski193 Posts: 49 Member
    Just read this blog ! You all are so supportive and motivating. Looking for some new people to help me get restarted. Not sure how to become friends with you all. If you are willing please befriend me. The support will be so good for me. Thanks. Have a great day!
  • SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    prob you messed up because of the essay's.............well the subjects weren't thrilling to say the least lol...........i'm not surprised you hit on burger king..........anyone would lol...............i hope you have finished your essays now that you have had a sugar fix and watched a bit of comedy to get over the miserable subjects
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    TasiaD28 wrote: »
    Ok so....it final time and I am getting ready to write my five page essay about homelessness and policies *gulp*! So, what do I do? I say, 'Hey, honey! Mind running through Burger King for me and getting me something to eat, so i can stay awake and type this essay?'. Ugh....whyyyyy did I make such a horrible decision?!?!?! I have been doing so well trying to eat right and work out. I am beyond disappointed din myself! Need some major encouragement please!

Hi
    I Know I'll get beaten up for this however here goes.

You could have eaten decently from Burger King FWIW. Get a Whopper no cheese for example, remove most of the Ketchup and Mayo, Ditch the bun or at least remove the bread on the inside so that all that is left is a shell, enjoy the Lettuce, Tomato and Onion. IMO the Burger portion could be worse as it is grilled where the fats drip off. No Fries :)

You could also replace the bun with a wrap. I have some that run 60 calories for the entire wrap.

Most important, do not use it as an excuse to overeat by saying to Yourself oh well the day is already ruined and go to town on food.

Good Luck
    Roger