Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Want to help design a relative LCHF experiment for Endurance?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    There should be a good period of adaptation before testing the effect of a different diet. At least 4 weeks without checking in the literature.

Do you refuel on longer runs / rides? They might be the ones to test.

Are those grams digestible carbs or what Americans call "total carbohydrates"

Do you think one month is sufficient for an experiment (total time following a diet)? Or would you recommend more (like maybe 2 months)?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Tagging this experiment. I would do it, but every time I eat below 150g I feel like I wanna die. And I can't run... too many knee issues.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There should be a good period of adaptation before testing the effect of a different diet. At least 4 weeks without checking in the literature.

Do you think one month is sufficient for an experiment (total time following a diet)? Or would you recommend more (like maybe 2 months)?

I don't know. The published data shows fairly radical switches in fuelling but I haven't taken the time to see how long it takes for the relevant processes to adapt and uprate to the different environment. If the OP has access to portable respiratory gas analysis or a treadmill rig he could see if he was fat adapting - the whole concept is to be able to burn more fat in grams per minute so the simplest measure is the RQ / RER at a given intensity / speed.

If insulin levels are low there's more free fatty acids in circulation available as fuel, similarly ketosis makes available ketones as brain fuel (as well as other tissues). I don't know if studies other than Cahill's starvation experiments have tracked the availability over time or just looked after a fixed period.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2016

I don't know. The published data shows fairly radical switches in fuelling but I haven't taken the time to see how long it takes for the relevant processes to adapt and uprate to the different environment. If the OP has access to portable respiratory gas analysis or a treadmill rig he could see if he was fat adapting - the whole concept is to be able to burn more fat in grams per minute so the simplest measure is the RQ / RER at a given intensity / speed.

If insulin levels are low there's more free fatty acids in circulation available as fuel, similarly ketosis makes available ketones as brain fuel (as well as other tissues). I don't know if studies other than Cahill's starvation experiments have tracked the availability over time or just looked after a fixed period.

I believe KH experiments would show fully adapted after the 1st week. At least, that is what he noted in his video interview, albeit, the study hasn't been posted. So a month would be more than enough to get fat adapted and track calories long enough to understand estimated TDEE (if you don't already know what it is).

@EvgeniZyntx are you just looking to do this with endurance or would you want to expand the scope a bit and include HIIT and/or weight training?
  • yarwell
    Was the RQ in the video resting or running ?
  • psuLemon
    Was the RQ in the video resting or running ?

To be honest, I don't remember.
  • yarwell
    this is the objective :-

5dkez4kqaszl.jpg

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I'm much smaller scale. I'm keto (<20 NET carbs) and just started training for a half-marathon in mid-July. I've never been a distance runner, but I've enjoyed jogging here and there in my adulthood.

I am utilizing my Fitbit HR and basing my speed on my heart rate (it came in at 150-155 on my first jog). I run fasted in the mornings.
    I use this training guide: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program minus week 6 since I only have 11 weeks. :D

If you make a group, I'll join. I'll see what I can offer.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited May 2016
    Would body fat percentage be a factor to track?
  • vanishingmedic
    vanishingmedic Posts: 4 Member
    Another huge benefit I get from the LCHF lifestyle with endurance training was I noticed I had a lot less inflammation and less recovery time between my workouts.
  • willammoney
    willammoney Posts: 137 Member
    I've been on a LCHF diet for the last year. I've ran my first full marathon on this and last month I completed my second Ironman 70.3 on nothing more than one packet of almond butter. That's 5,000 calories I burned and 7 hours of work with about 200 calories in. I've raced with high carb prior and would have the "crash" during my races. With LCHF I feel like I could go forever. Check out the book "Primal Endurance".

Darn impressive
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Good points.

I'm creating my baseline diet tracking now. Say 4 weeks of baseline weight loss, tracking and activities (running, cycling, light parkour, climbing, gym 4+x per week), 4 weeks LCHF Induction, 2-4 weeks performance comparison.
    4 weeks return to NCNF diet.

I currently keep refuel down to a minimum (about 100 cals per hr on effort exceeding 2 hrs). I'll log those with the run if I do, for the period.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    psulemon wrote: »

I believe KH experiments would show fully adapted after the 1st week. At least, that is what he noted in his video interview, albeit, the study hasn't been posted. So a month would be more than enough to get fat adapted and track calories long enough to understand estimated TDEE (if you don't already know what it is).

@EvgeniZyntx are you just looking to do this with endurance or would you want to expand the scope a bit and include HIIT and/or weight training?

I hate HIIT.
    I should probably include HIIT but I don't do it. You just want me to feel miserable. I can imagine that intensity work on low carbs is gonna suck.

Ok, I'm curious and will add it, but only a few test sessions via hill sprints. If I die, it's on you.

Weight training is something I do inconsistently. Can probably track better for 12-16 weeks.
  • psuLemon

I hate HIIT.
    I should probably include HIIT but I don't do it. You just want me to feel miserable. I can imagine that intensity work on low carbs is gonna suck.

Ok, I'm curious and will add it, but only a few test sessions via hill sprints. If I die, it's on you.

Weight training is something I do inconsistently. Can probably track better for 12-16 weeks.

I was more suggesting that in the effort to gather as much data, would you want to limit this experiment to only endurance workouts or have it be more broad. I can't do long distance running due to knee issues but I tend to do very well with HIIT and weight training. I might be interested in the experiment (since I already know my maintenance levels and I regularly track my lifts (reps/weight/sets)). Meaning, if you want to limit things to only endurance, I cannot support. If you want to see how it affects other workouts, I can participate (or at least try to) and provide some results.
  • EvgeniZyntx

I hate HIIT.

I was more suggesting that in the effort to gather as much data, would you want to limit this experiment to only endurance workouts or have it be more broad. I can't do long distance running due to knee issues but I tend to do very well with HIIT and weight training. I might be interested in the experiment (since I already know my maintenance levels and I regularly track my lifts (reps/weight/sets)). Meaning, if you want to limit things to only endurance, I cannot support. If you want to see how it affects other workouts, I can participate (or at least try to) and provide some results.

My focus on this is endurance but performance capacity sits right next to it; that's why your suggestion makes sense. The more the merrier! :wink:

So, I agree that tracking performance/feel for weight training and HIIT makes sense. Let's add it. (Your going to kill me.)

Do you any endurance stuff? Biking, rowing or swimming?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    I'm much smaller scale. I'm keto (<20 NET carbs) and just started training for a half-marathon in mid-July. I've never been a distance runner, but I've enjoyed jogging here and there in my adulthood.

I am utilizing my Fitbit HR and basing my speed on my heart rate (it came in at 150-155 on my first jog). I run fasted in the mornings.
    I use this training guide: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program minus week 6 since I only have 11 weeks. :D

If you make a group, I'll join. I'll see what I can offer.

Ok, sounds pretty close to my intent! By the way, that is a good program, it got me to HM distances (just finished a second pass).
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2016

I hate HIIT.

My focus on this is endurance but performance capacity sits right next to it; that's why your suggestion makes sense. The more the merrier! :wink:

So, I agree that tracking performance/feel for weight training and HIIT makes sense. Let's add it. (Your going to kill me.)

Do you any endurance stuff? Biking, rowing or swimming?

Unfortunately I don't do any endurance. I have had some injuries I was fighting for some time and still working on (plantars fascititis<-- currently, sciatica <--gone, and tendinitis<-- current and preventing me from doing 5x5 programs). So most of weight training is dumbbell and I do HIIT style at home programs like insanity/P90X3. I guess at this point, you can say I follow what is being called functional fitness.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    moe0303 wrote: »

Not really. I'm not doing this as a weight loss effort.

My diet during the entire period will be slightly below maintenance and I'll try to continue to lose weight. As a fat loss protocol it would make sense to track bf% but I don't see an interesting end point comparison as I'll lose little bf during the 4wk period (maybe 1%?) and I won't be able to have a reasonable comparison with n=1. Particularly since FFM weight loss with these diets requires some expensive tools to measure since the induction period results in water weight loss.

And @yarwell, I don't have access to portable respiratory gas analysis or a treadmill rig. That would be cool. Anyone got an extra $28K sitting about?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

I hate HIIT.

Dude, you are going to die...

Alternatively, why don't you just include some surges in your usual runs and see how you cope with them on the differing diets?

IIRC the main issue with LC is that higher intensity efforts / sprinting ability is "constrained" but in the context of distance races perhaps this can be offset by greater sub maximal improvements? I would say this would be a non starter in terms of cycling (due to the inability to keep up and benefit from reduced wind resistance by being in the bunch) but in terms of running it would be interesting as it could still lead to an overall quicker time.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »

Not really. I'm not doing this as a weight loss effort.

My diet during the entire period will be slightly below maintenance and I'll try to continue to lose weight. As a fat loss protocol it would make sense to track bf% but I don't see an interesting end point comparison as I'll lose little bf during the 4wk period (maybe 1%?) and I won't be able to have a reasonable comparison with n=1. Particularly since FFM weight loss with these diets requires some expensive tools to measure since the induction period results in water weight loss.

And @yarwell, I don't have access to portable respiratory gas analysis or a treadmill rig. That would be cool. Anyone got an extra $28K sitting about?
    I was thinking more along the lines of body fat percentage being a factor in terms of energy potential. Is it possible that someone with more fat would have better energy levels for endurance LCHF exercise vs someone with a lesser percentage? It's just something I have been curious about. I would hypothesize that it would matter, but probably only when you start getting into the lower ends of the body fat percentage spectrums.