Gym anxiety

Curious how others handle it. I'm a tall guy and so when I go to my gym I get nervous about using weight machines properly to the point that I avoid them. Since I've started back up I have a personal trainer once a week and that will help but I still am waiting. I'm pretty much commiting to only cardio till then because I look at weights and am clueless on what to do with myself. Can anyone relate or am I just a wuss with this?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Your tall, I'm short. I just adjust any machine I need to use to suit my height.
    Your trainer will help you past the anxiety and show you the ropes.

Cheers, h.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited May 2016
    I had gym anxiety too. I have anxiety about a lot of things in life. The more I went, the better I felt, and the less I cared about what other people thought. I still get anxious every once in a while, specifically if I have to go when it's busy, but I just push through it 'cause eff it.

You will feel more confident once your trainer shows you what to do with weights.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    I have found for me working out at the gym I do better then working out at home by myself. I to adjust the machines to fit my my heght . Start slow and work your self at your own pace, Whatever you do stick with it. You will be glad you did.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    First figure out what muscle you want to work on and then pick your machines accordingly
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I manage my gym anxiety by going the hour before close when there's just a handful of people there.

You'll feel more comfortable after more time at your gym with your trainer :)

How tall are you?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    I reckon you will get more confident as time goes on. Just keep at it.
    Also when I go to the gym people are just busy doing their thing, all trying to look good so don't worry
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Your trainer might be able to write up a program for you (to do on your own) and take you through it in one of your sessions. It's much easier to do if you have it all written down in front of you and have had some explain the technique.

Otherwise, you can google/make your own routines/copy your trainers routines for you and then you can hop on youtube and watch explanations of how to do the exercises/use the machines. The internet is magical :smile:
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Yeah, I want no part of that gym scene. I can do without that social component that's involved when other people are around. I exercise by myself, that works for me.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    One thing I found that really helped was taking photos of people actually using the machines. No matter how many times I was run through the exercise, I could never remember how to do it.

I got my boyfriend to use the machine, I would take some photos and pick the best one that showed the exercise. Added it to a iphone album for that workout (eg. chest, legs). Now when I go on my own, I look at the album and it helps me remember the routine. I can also then use the mirror to compare form.

If you have a personal trainer, ask if it's okay for them to photograph you doing it or if it's ok to photograph them doing it.
  • VegasCaveman
    VegasCaveman Posts: 10 Member
    lizwooshy wrote: »
    Dont be nervous, 90% of people are focused on their workout and literally are not paying you any mind :) do your thing, practice will help ease the anxiety.

Aa far as height and machines, try out dumbells and barbells, they work more stabilizing muscles and are the preferred route for many exercises

This is definitely something i'm gearing for. I think a lot of the gym anxiety more stems from lack of knowledge of what weights to pick up and how to hold them over my head haha. I'm definitely more comfortable with my typical cardio routine.
  • VegasCaveman
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I manage my gym anxiety by going the hour before close when there's just a handful of people there.

You'll feel more comfortable after more time at your gym with your trainer :)

How tall are you?

I'm 6'9" So i'm up there more than the average tall guy. I think it's just a fact of waiting a week when i want to know the knowledge now. Patience sucks!
  • VegasCaveman
    KateTii wrote: »
    One thing I found that really helped was taking photos of people actually using the machines. No matter how many times I was run through the exercise, I could never remember how to do it.

I got my boyfriend to use the machine, I would take some photos and pick the best one that showed the exercise. Added it to a iphone album for that workout (eg. chest, legs). Now when I go on my own, I look at the album and it helps me remember the routine. I can also then use the mirror to compare form.

If you have a personal trainer, ask if it's okay for them to photograph you doing it or if it's ok to photograph them doing it.

I love this idea. When i have my Trainer apointment next monday I think i'll definitly have him take some photos of me with my phone. For 1 they make awesome motivational pictures, 2 they'll be handy as a guide. Thanks for the tip! :smile:
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I go to Planet Fitness. They have a no - judgement policy.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    cbelc2 wrote: »

Except in the commercials they judge those who actually lift heavy.

Hipricrites
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    lizwooshy wrote: »
    Dont be nervous, 90% of people are focused on their workout and literally are not paying you any mind :) do your thing, practice will help ease the anxiety.

Aa far as height and machines, try out dumbells and barbells, they work more stabilizing muscles and are the preferred route for many exercises

This is definitely something i'm gearing for. I think a lot of the gym anxiety more stems from lack of knowledge of what weights to pick up and how to hold them over my head haha. I'm definitely more comfortable with my typical cardio routine.

Me too! I feel like I'll be judged, even if I'm doing it right! That's why I try to go to the gym when I know that nobody will be there (I've gone at midnight!). I'm getting better, little by little. Today I'm going to try going at lunchtime and do some weight lifting. I try to tune out other people there but it's hard. One day I was there, lifting weights and 3 guys showed up. My anxiety level rose....but I continued on doing what I do. At one point I looked up and all 3 of them were watching me. Just hanging out on the benches staring. I am nothing to stare at so I don't know what the heck they were looking at! It's not like I was in a tight tank top and booty shorts! LOL
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'd recommend working with your trainer for advice, but this channel has a lot of good instructional videos. He's certainly not the only one out there, but I like his common sense approach: https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    my husband's 6' 7" and no one at l.a. fitness pays any attention to him when he works out.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited May 2016
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    cbelc2 wrote: »

Except in the commercials they judge those who actually lift heavy.

Hipricrites

Oh god, enough with that. No one there actually judges people who lift, and MOST people I see there are very fit and even bulky.

And it's spelled hypocrites.