New here - looking to lose 10-12 lbs.

kclewis416
kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
Hello,

New to forum and I am having a hard time losing 10-12 lbs. I am 5'2 and weight 127 lbs but prefer to be in the 115 range.

I will be 36 in 28 days and will be going on vacation with a new boyfriend in 32 days and I really want to look/feel good..

Looking for support and any ideas that will be help me with what I am calling this my 30 day bikini boot camp.

Replies

• train4brainhealth
    train4brainhealth Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I'm in a similar boat as you. Maybe we could be "twins"? Unfortunately, what we eat solves most of our issues. So frustrating! Why can't Lindt come out with a calorie free dark sea salt chocolate bar? Whyyyyy???? :smile: I will join you in your 30 day boot camp. I hope you (we?) reach your goal. Where are you going on vacation?
    What are your eating goals? What are your exercise goals? Daily and for the 30 days.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Welcome. I was just in your boat and have lost the weight, but it did take me 10 weeks to do so. However, I was not making huge deficit cuts. You will lose quite a bit in the first week just from water weight, so that will help you out a lot.

Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • kclewis416
    Hey ladies, thanks for the replies.

I do love chocolate, especially dark chocolate but my ultimate favourite is licorice - black licorice! YUM! lol

I am going to Breathless Resort in Punta Cana Dominican Republic and cannot wait.

My eating goals are to stay around 1200 calories a day, so 300 calories for breakfast, 700 calories for lunch and 500 calories for dinner with 2 100 calorie snacks.. and then making sure that I am active enough to stay around 1200 calories per day.

I have recently been a big fan of LCHF diets.. and Keto diets and they really do work well for me but I love beer and bread and realistically will NEVER give those up, so I have decided to never "DIET" again after going up and down up and down too many times. My plan now is to eat what I want in moderation (luckily other than licorice and maybe sour candy I do not have a sweet tooth) and make sure to count my calories and stay on track.

My main thing.. honestly.. is I do not want to feel guilty when I grab that handful of chips at a party on the weekend.. I think the emotional side of trying to get healthy and stay slim and fit and trim and happy is really hard to deal with at times, especially when we have other things to worry about.. like real things.. maintaining my house, my kids, etc.

I know (or hope) that I am quite healthy and my eating habits are decent to begin with, I do not drink soda, juice or anything but water, green tea and alcohol (which I am cutting out until my birthday - just because I have never tried to do that before, except of course, pregnancy)
    I cook all my meals and very rarely go out to eat except for special occasions. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and easily can control portions. I do not eat after supper as it is, unless its a bite of the cucumber I am cutting up for the kids lunches the next day.

What I find I lack, is motivation and energy.. and I know that once I get going that these things will get a boost. I am going to take my iron pills and my B12 that the doc says I am low in (gotta love that phone call from the doc, "we just got your blood work in you need to come in and discuss" only to find out im low iron and B12.. They love to make money off of me)

So the gist of it is this: I want to stay around 1200 calories, I want to lose at least 1 lb a week, I want to be active and have energy and the desire to do push up against the wall in my work bathroom just because, and to feel stronger and firmer in all the right areas, plus, not drink alcohol until the celebration of my 36th birthday.

mom23 - thanks for being realistic in the 10 week timeline - that is my only draw back, I love immediate satisfaction.. so I need to find that somewhere other than the scale. And talk about the scale.. How often do you ladies weigh yourselves. I think I am addicted to it, I do it in the morning and night... I should throw it out shouldn't I? lol

Chat soon!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Thought I'd chime in here, although I'm pretty much at maintenance, but what worked for me, to cut calories was to omit the fats & salts.... So measure how much becel your putting on your toast (or better skip toast & sandwiches) but while cooking omit the large quantities of olive oils and butters. Then read labels on sodium content, bought soups and sauces/dressings are the worst!! Calories in VS calories out..... There's no magic smoothie. Good luck!
  • kclewis416
    Thanks for your reply.. I will take any tip I can get. I cannot wait to get to maintenance phase.

well thanks for the reminder regarding sodium. I do add a lot of salt to my food and I have always wanted to cut back but man do I love salt. I will try and substitute with more herbs since I do a lot of cooking. I have bought a couple of cans of soups since they have low calorie count and sometimes I am only able to squeeze in 300-400 calories at dinner time to meet my 1200 goal per day and that is an easy go to.

I am using myfitnesspal app and calculating every bit of oil and butter and seasoning etc. Right now my focus is exactly that.. Calories in VS Calories out.

I want this 10 lbs off so bad - Had a moment on my weekend binge before I started - Couldn't fit into my favourite jeans. That was it for me.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Hi! Your upcoming vacation sounds amazing.. And happy almost birthday! I know how that feels to just wAnt to get the weight off... NOW! Lol! I was losing 1 lb a month from oct to Jan then started logging everything in MFP and doing 60+ min of cardio everyday in Feb and have lost 10 lbs since then. I don't know how quickly you'll lose it all but you will lose as long as you stay the course. I've heard of fast losses with keto but a lot is water weight initially. Good luck!
  • kclewis416
    So excited about the upcoming vacation! Resort sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the motivation to just keep it at, and you are right, it is all water weight with Keto diet.. but that is not a lifestyle I can keep up and it always creeps back on later.

Here is to slow and steady wins the race. As far as MFP says.. I should be at my goal weight by mid July. I cannot complain about that... Just take one day at a time and by Summer I will be good to go!

Congrats at the 10lbs lost. That is amazing!
  • clblewis
    clblewis Posts: 34 Member
    I'm joining you. I need the motivation and you sound like the right person. I have about 10 to 15 more to lose and I really excited about it. I'm using a combination of CI /CO and a lchf combination. I have really found MFP works best when you're actually on it and using the tools. I like to weigh myself every day. Was 139.2 today and want to be 134 or less the end of the month. My goal weight is 120-125 I was 200 last July 4th! 120 by my 50th birthday!!!!! Help me stay motivated and I will help you!
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm also 5'2" and looking to lose the last few pounds! I was where you were about a year ago, and now I'm trying to lose a little body fat and gain muscle (I look about 10 lbs heavier than I really am- yay for being short haha), and I am going to the beach in 2 weeks with friends. Feel free to add me!
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    I'm 5'8" and weigh 145 pounds. Goal is to be 135 pounds in two months for my 50th birthday. Meant to get "serious" earlier but that didn't happen. So, I am going all in for the next two months. I got this and so do you!
  • highergoals1
    highergoals1 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi
    Please add me. I'm also looking to lose 10pounds.
  • ressapowell
    ressapowell Posts: 35 Member
    Ladies I have a diet plan that helped me lose 15 lbs in 2 weeks. In total I have lost 60 lbs and coubting in body fat. Results will vary but I am more than happy to share if you are willing to do the work. Just friend or message me.
  • clblewis
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    Hey ladies, thanks for the replies.

I do love chocolate, especially dark chocolate but my ultimate favourite is licorice - black licorice! YUM! lol

I am going to Breathless Resort in Punta Cana Dominican Republic and cannot wait.

My eating goals are to stay around 1200 calories a day, so 300 calories for breakfast, 700 calories for lunch and 500 calories for dinner with 2 100 calorie snacks.. and then making sure that I am active enough to stay around 1200 calories per day.

I have recently been a big fan of LCHF diets.. and Keto diets and they really do work well for me but I love beer and bread and realistically will NEVER give those up, so I have decided to never "DIET" again after going up and down up and down too many times. My plan now is to eat what I want in moderation (luckily other than licorice and maybe sour candy I do not have a sweet tooth) and make sure to count my calories and stay on track.

My main thing.. honestly.. is I do not want to feel guilty when I grab that handful of chips at a party on the weekend.. I think the emotional side of trying to get healthy and stay slim and fit and trim and happy is really hard to deal with at times, especially when we have other things to worry about.. like real things.. maintaining my house, my kids, etc.

I know (or hope) that I am quite healthy and my eating habits are decent to begin with, I do not drink soda, juice or anything but water, green tea and alcohol (which I am cutting out until my birthday - just because I have never tried to do that before, except of course, pregnancy)
    I cook all my meals and very rarely go out to eat except for special occasions. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and easily can control portions. I do not eat after supper as it is, unless its a bite of the cucumber I am cutting up for the kids lunches the next day.

What I find I lack, is motivation and energy.. and I know that once I get going that these things will get a boost. I am going to take my iron pills and my B12 that the doc says I am low in (gotta love that phone call from the doc, "we just got your blood work in you need to come in and discuss" only to find out im low iron and B12.. They love to make money off of me)

So the gist of it is this: I want to stay around 1200 calories, I want to lose at least 1 lb a week, I want to be active and have energy and the desire to do push up against the wall in my work bathroom just because, and to feel stronger and firmer in all the right areas, plus, not drink alcohol until the celebration of my 36th birthday.

mom23 - thanks for being realistic in the 10 week timeline - that is my only draw back, I love immediate satisfaction.. so I need to find that somewhere other than the scale. And talk about the scale.. How often do you ladies weigh yourselves. I think I am addicted to it, I do it in the morning and night... I should throw it out shouldn't I? lol

Chat soon!

I weigh myself every morning. My goal weight keeps changing, lowering. I do what works for me. A combination of CI-CO and lower carbs. I listen to my body. Drink lots of water, no sugar or substitutes. OK a tiny bit of sugar for my coffee, my taste buds are very sensitive to sweet now. I was religiously tracking my food and wow how that worked! I got to my goal of 140 which allows me to fit into summer clothes that haven't seen the light of day since 2013. New goal is 125 and seriously tone up. Weighing myself every morning helps me to listen to my body. Do what your comfortable with but don't get discouraged. Think long term goal date. Use the the progress tracker. I don't diminish how difficult it is to lose 60 as 10 is equally as hard. Oh yeah, see a wall do 5 push ups. I need to take my own advice lol.
  • kclewis416
    Thanks again everyone for the replies and keeping this post going.

@clblewis You got this girl! You sound like you are very determined and motivated and that is what I am lacking the most. Sometimes I am all for it, then other times I am like, life is too short. Like this weekend for example, I had 3 events... Fri, Sat and Sun. This was my first weekend not to drink alcohol (trying to keep the carbs down) and I drank EVERY.NIGHT. Beer or Wine. I just couldn't help it, but when I used MFP and saw the calories and then saw how little weight I would lose if I had a day like that every day.. I must admit that it was quite depressing. So back to the grind again now, week 2 it is for me logging on straight every day compared to once and a while for the past 3-4 years of using this site.

I have been doing pushups again the wall in the washroom and sitting on the wall lol. I thought it was a perfect chance at work to try and fit some exercise in. I also have brought in one of those balls to sit on at my desk. Luckily I am not right out in the open but people do giggle when they see me bouncing. I just cant help it.

@shaybee377 You are so right about looking 10 lbs heavier because of our height. I consider myself skinny fat... which I heard is just as bad for your health. Isn't it funny how much a beach date can get you motivated!? I want to be comfortable on that beach in my bikini!

@LULU4178 Thanks for the little bit of motivation and support. 50th birthday is a great motivation to get you to your ideal weight. I hope you really do something nice for yourself. And yes! we got this!!
  • clblewis
    I walked a fast mile today. That's incredible for me as I haven't done that in at least two years. Saying goodbye to skinny-fat chick!
  • Heatherurban75
    Heatherurban75 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi ladies!!! I can relate to many of your posts! I am a lifetime dieter. Up 20, down 20, then 3 kids in 3.5 years took it's toll. Now I'm just trying to drop 6-10 lbs of body fat to show all the lean muscle I just KNOW is hiding out! Congrats to all of you on your successes thus far and good luck on the rest of the journey!
  • clblewis
    Welcome Heather! Please let me know what you're doing for exercise. I'm slowly getting back into the game with chronic back pain. At this weight two years ago I had a nice body, soft and curvy but toned. Thanks
  • kclewis416
    Good job clblewis! I live in Toronto Canada so its freezing up here half the year, but now that the weather is nicer I have been walking at a fast pace for half hour, twice a day at work. I am on my second week and I feel good. I am not sure how far that is, I will have to track it. "a fast mile" sounds so much better than 30 min at a fast pace lol.

Hi Heatherurban - wow, 3 kids in 3.5 years. You are amazing! I had 2 in just less than 2 years years :smile: it is a lot of work! I like how you say you are trying to drop 6-10 lbs of body fat... that is exactly what I want to do.. drop the "fat".. I have always heard that muscle weighs more than fat, but I am not lifting weights - but I assume I will still gain muscle from all the walking, push ups, planks, leg lifts and crunches I have been doing. I wish I knew exactly what my body fat % is.. that would be a better way to judge my success.. I bet you I will be able to tell just by looking at my body and how the clothes fit.

Took the kids to the park yesterday, tried to do the monkey bars.. I made it to two.. and I tried to do a pull up... Em.. NO.. Not happening... so my new goal.. to do one pull up on the monkey bars by the end of June!

Anyone with me on that challenge lol?
  • aowens1785
    aowens1785 Posts: 13 Member
    @kclewis416 I am getting married on July 15th and headed to St. Lucia for my week-long beach honeymoon right after. I have been "trying" to lose 10 lbs for a year...really been "trying" since I got engaged in January. 2 more months to lose this weight and get in shape and I cannot seem to get and stay motivated. I just want to look okay and not feel ashamed of myself in a bikini. Just 10 lbs and I'd be happy.
  • aowens1785
    aowens1785 Posts: 13 Member
    and for the record it is my thighs and legs that disgust me