Why Eating Healthy Isn't Expensive/Grocery Haul

Replies

• witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Question. Some months, my fiance and I have only 30 to spend on groceries for the whole month. That's 15 a peice. Less than 4 dollars a week. That's less than a dollar per day for 2 people. I do if now so I only eat twice a day. Tell me to do with less than 1 dollar a day for 3 meals
  • mbdean86
    mbdean86 Posts: 38 Member
    Those are dream prices for foods. I work in the food industry though and I can tell you, that I fully agree with what bkinsey1979 stated. You have a large base of consumers, some of which are elderly and some handicapped that have limited access to transportation and the nearest store is not always the cheapest.

Whole wheat pasta, low sodium pasta sauce and 93/7 ground beef are very expensive, with some of the rolls of meat (about 10 lbs)...regular 75/25 ground chuck being $20. Eggs average $2 unless there is a sale and with milk that's close to $4 a gallon, it's easy to understand why people would go for the cheap, fast options in terms of food.

For comparison, you could buy the ingredients to make a lot of salad, which could cost $15, or just spend $4 for a bag of salad. Most people are only going to buy the lone bag and load up on canned seasoned greens, which are loaded down with seasonings and salt. They'll also load up on instant-meals instead of buying a bag of potatoes which could be $3 for 3lbs or the meat needed, which could cost $5.99/lb. The boxed instant potatoes are around $4 as well.

I would absolutely love to have a freezer big enough to house all of that, but I don't. Instead, I have a refrigerator that was brand new back in 1995, which limits my space options.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    witcherkar wrote: »
    Question. Some months, my fiance and I have only 30 to spend on groceries for the whole month. That's 15 a peice. Less than 4 dollars a week. That's less than a dollar per day for 2 people. I do if now so I only eat twice a day. Tell me to do with less than 1 dollar a day for 3 meals

Download the app Favado. They update their price/sale inventory Sunday's. They have the item list along with any available coupons and app rebates. Several items work out to be free, but you can query stores or a specific item or category of items and it will tell you the sale price, or if you wish to display it the price after discounts. I choose the latter as then you can easily see what works out for free. Many of the items with linked coupons are printable coupons so you can print them at your computer. You can also see bogo and 2/3 etc. If I were in your situation, I would look for 5lb bags of rice and similar, that can add a lot of bulk to meal. Potatoes are also good as they are versitile and last a while. I was in a similar situation years ago and I would buy a few bass of frozen veggies and v8 and make soup out of that and add rice. Not phenomenal but the soup was good for four days, and I would get full.
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member

Go to food pantries, eat at the soup kitchen. When I used to go to the food pantries the wait time could be anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours and most of that time was waiting in line for them to open.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    salembambi wrote: »
    oh look a thread of someone declaring its easy to eat healthy and totally cheap cause they can do it in their area , with their income, education & access to stores, congrats

Unless you're referring generally to Privilege, I'm not seeing how education is relevant. Any formal education I may have had on nutrition was in junior high Health class in the 1970s. Formal education has helped me think critically, but it's not the sole vehicle for learning that skill, and I know plenty of people with advanced degrees who fail utterly at critical thinking.

Education is definitely a factor in eating well on a budget. As we've seen in this thread, prices vary hugely from place to place and at different times of year . Even in that situation, there are definitely strategies you can use to eat the best you can on whatever budget you have available..... but doing that needs planning ahead, shopping around, using your money wisely, having transport, storage (freezer/pantry), time, energy and even the knowledge that you should be doing this in the first place.

It's clear that most of us on the MFP forum have access to a computer (or smart device), internet, reasonable level of literacy, some knowledge and a desire to make changes, or at least to learn.

Many people don't have those things - poor literacy rates are still a factor for many people all over the world, the ability to manage money is definitely not universal, the knowhow to plan meals for a week that take best advantage of what is affordable in your areas isn't always there. Access to a computer and reliable internet (or mobile phone receiption) and public transport is not universally available, and some areas where the majority of people have low incomes can be "food deserts" where there just aren't many options to purchase any food, let alone food that is both nutritious and affordable.

I think it's easy to be dismissive and say: "just making excuses", but they are reality for many people, and can definitely contribute to the idea that the only way they know how to eat on small budget is to buy takeaway stuff.

This is a pretty amazing read, though rather grim: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2012/07/30/hunger-hurts/
    They blog about how to manage on a tiny budget, and are a great example of what can be done, but I know that not everyone has the knowhow, energy or resources (physical and mental) to do the same.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I am in small town Manitoba. Over $6 for a gallon of milk, $5/bag of 8 small apples, $2/zuchinni the size of my hand, $7/250gm of fresh berries, $2/lb of potatoes. The food prices some of you list is the stuff I dream about! But, if we were to buy and eat more pkgd food our bill would double. And we would not be satisfied. I find the satiety levels of a serving of prepackaged food vs home cooked to be very lacking. I bake bread and goodies for our lunches, and we are extremely lucky to grow our own beef, chicken, lamb, and turkey. Even with cutting and wrapping fees for the meat we raise it saves us so much vs buying it in the store.

Sometimes the kids get annoyed at finding notes on the food in the fridge "do not eat this as it will be part of supper this week" or "if you want pizza on Sunday do not touch this brick of cheese". But I just remind them about the budget and hope they add it to their mental list of kitchen guidelines in the future.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited May 2016
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I think it's easy to be dismissive and say: "just making excuses", but they are reality for many people, and can definitely contribute to the idea that the only way they know how to eat on small budget is to buy takeaway stuff.

This is a pretty amazing read, though rather grim: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2012/07/30/hunger-hurts/
    They blog about how to manage on a tiny budget, and are a great example of what can be done, but I know that not everyone has the knowhow, energy or resources (physical and mental) to do the same.

Thank you - it was an amazing read. I've been reading more about her and her story. What made it truly inspirational was how hard the author worked to utilize every possible resource at her disposal. She didn't just cry "poor me" and spend her efforts blaming the system around her - although she didn't pull any punches about how the system affected her.

I agree - there are many things that affect someone living in poverty. And it is not an easy place to be. So easy for those of us who have always had enough to say that it can't be that hard. That said - it is frustrating when someone's poor choices land them in a hard spot. And they blame the world around them rather than acknowledging their own poor choices.

My uncle was like that. He was given a million opportunities and squandered it all. Every time he got into a good spot, he would spend money like water until he had none again. His siblings finally quit bailing him out and sadly, many stopped talking to him. He recently told me just how bad he had it a few years ago when he was in desperate poverty and spent many days going hungry. He recently got a huge windfall and now has a lot of money. Hoping that this time, he's learned his lesson and will be wise with it.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    oh look a thread of someone declaring its easy to eat healthy and totally cheap cause they can do it in their area , with their income, education & access to stores, congrats

Unless you're referring generally to Privilege, I'm not seeing how education is relevant. Any formal education I may have had on nutrition was in junior high Health class in the 1970s. Formal education has helped me think critically, but it's not the sole vehicle for learning that skill, and I know plenty of people with advanced degrees who fail utterly at critical thinking.

Wow, are you serious?
    Privilege is a symptom of never experiencing a hardship.Or never taking the time to educate yourself as to what it would be like. Another example is white people who say 'I don't see color' Sonetimes I'm embarrassed to be a middle class white person

I was asking the poster to clarify what she meant by education.

You shouldn't make assumptions about my experience with hardship.

I didn't.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Do you folks know and keep a budget on groceries? It's a sensitive topic in my family so I gave up even talking about it. I don't know how to respond to sayings like ... "well, we're not throwing away money. It's for the foods we eat. We're not wasting". Get this over that? "It's not the same".

Is it also "false economy" to save on foods, only to overeat then exercise hard to "waste" the calories? Someone pointed that out to me.

Yep, we budget $90 a week for our family of 5. This also includes things like toilet paper, cleaning supplies and laundry detergent. It does NOT cover things like pet food and eating out, those we budget separately.

I shop mostly at Meijer, Aldi and then Family Fare (smaller, local chain that's higher priced but runs good specials here and there, and it's our closest option as well).

We live in an area that has an amazing growing season where I can get fresh produce cheap at a local farmers market (like a grocery bag overflowing for $10), but off season we eat a LOT of frozen veggies. Meijer will sometimes get as low as .79 a bag and I buy 20-30 bags then.

I buy 75% of our fruit frozen at Dollar Tree-bags of frozen blueberries, strawberries etc for $1. I bake with them, mix them in oats and yogurt etc. And then I buy fresh bananas and apples at Meijer. We also do U-Pick farms in the summer for cherries, strawberries and blueberries (I freeze 10lbs each of the strawberries and blueberries, to use in the fall). This brings the cost down to $2 or less a pound and it's a fun outing with the kids :)

Bread outlets are a great option as well-our local one has the 'fancy' whole grain options for under $1 loaf (organic is $1.39)

Aldi is where I get our snack stuff-chips, cookies and cookie/muffin mixes, box cereal, packed lunch snacks etc. I also get our shredded cheese and frozen fish there.

Coupons are something I need to get back into-I used to be one of those crazy coupon ladies (I was buying 10 Sunday papers at one time and would walk into the store with my 20lb coupon binder oiy!), but got burned out and stepped away from all of it. Getting the itch to get back into it, at least a little bit.

Great post OP and it's fun to see different people's shopping experiences, based on where they live!

@ReaderGirl3 do you also use Mperks at Meijer? I find that is a great way to find even more savings, especially for things that stores normally don't give coupons and offers for things like meat and produce.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    gemdiver00 wrote: »

Go to food pantries, eat at the soup kitchen. When I used to go to the food pantries the wait time could be anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours and most of that time was waiting in line for them to open.

Many churches in my area do food panties (two within walking distance of my house), and I have relatives who use a couple of them. The stuff they get is really good-fresh produce, local eggs, meat donated from local butcher shops etc. Most of the places you just show up and don't even need to show proof of hardship. There's also income based programs like Angel Food Ministries or One Harvest Food Ministries, where you pay a small amount for a pretty large quantity of food (much of it local). I know One Harvest Food also takes EBT.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Do you folks know and keep a budget on groceries? It's a sensitive topic in my family so I gave up even talking about it. I don't know how to respond to sayings like ... "well, we're not throwing away money. It's for the foods we eat. We're not wasting". Get this over that? "It's not the same".

Is it also "false economy" to save on foods, only to overeat then exercise hard to "waste" the calories? Someone pointed that out to me.

Yep, we budget $90 a week for our family of 5. This also includes things like toilet paper, cleaning supplies and laundry detergent. It does NOT cover things like pet food and eating out, those we budget separately.

I shop mostly at Meijer, Aldi and then Family Fare (smaller, local chain that's higher priced but runs good specials here and there, and it's our closest option as well).

We live in an area that has an amazing growing season where I can get fresh produce cheap at a local farmers market (like a grocery bag overflowing for $10), but off season we eat a LOT of frozen veggies. Meijer will sometimes get as low as .79 a bag and I buy 20-30 bags then.

I buy 75% of our fruit frozen at Dollar Tree-bags of frozen blueberries, strawberries etc for $1. I bake with them, mix them in oats and yogurt etc. And then I buy fresh bananas and apples at Meijer. We also do U-Pick farms in the summer for cherries, strawberries and blueberries (I freeze 10lbs each of the strawberries and blueberries, to use in the fall). This brings the cost down to $2 or less a pound and it's a fun outing with the kids :)

Bread outlets are a great option as well-our local one has the 'fancy' whole grain options for under $1 loaf (organic is $1.39)

Aldi is where I get our snack stuff-chips, cookies and cookie/muffin mixes, box cereal, packed lunch snacks etc. I also get our shredded cheese and frozen fish there.

Coupons are something I need to get back into-I used to be one of those crazy coupon ladies (I was buying 10 Sunday papers at one time and would walk into the store with my 20lb coupon binder oiy!), but got burned out and stepped away from all of it. Getting the itch to get back into it, at least a little bit.

Great post OP and it's fun to see different people's shopping experiences, based on where they live!

@ReaderGirl3 do you also use Mperks at Meijer? I find that is a great way to find even more savings, especially for things that stores normally don't give coupons and offers for things like meat and produce.

Oh heck yeah :# Love Mperks!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member

I believe you can get all the nutruents you need from oatmeal, potatoes and milk. Its what I do when I'm down and out because its cheap, available and gives you fibre and the vitamins that prolong healthy life. Children do well eating these things too. Hang in there. I hope things turn around for you and your fiance.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    I've bough fresh produce at Target. It is cheaper than my usual grocery store, BUT it goes bad very quickly. Not saving much money if I have to throw out half of what I've bought!

Have you tried including a paper towel in the bag when you get home? I learned that little trick a few months ago, and it really does extend the life. Not indefinitely, of course. But by at least several days or a week or two on some items. Also, check your produce every few days, and remove the parts that are starting to go bad, if you don't remove the bad parts, they make the rest of it go bad more quickly.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Amerane wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    LOVE Kroger's 10 for 10's lol

Sometimes they have whole canalopes for 99 cent

Acme does that too.

Irks me though because you don't have to buy 10 to get that price, so that marketing ploy to make you believe that you have to is extremely annoying to me :p (I don't know Kroger though, maybe you do have to buy 10?).

I think most stores have to tell you if you MUST buy 10 to get the 10/$10 price. For Kroger, you can buy individually unless it's a buy 5 save $5 kind of deal. BOGOs at Kroger require you to buy one at full price, unlike Publix which rings each individual BOGO item as half price. Meijer 10/$10 also don't require you to buy 10 items unless you want that 11th item free. Don't know about Meijer BOGO though.

my kroger rings up the BOGOs as half price for each item.

Yep, looks like they do ring up half price. Just double checked. Must have been remembering an older store.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Wow the USA sounds cheap! I am a Big Bidget shopper with meal plans and all, but I only have two supermarkets here and no coupons. For my family of 6 for one week it $250 a week. We eat lots of fruit, vegetables and I don't like to buy snack foods. After reading this post I am going to see if I can cut back on my spending and plan a cheaper meal plan for this week. Thanks
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 401 Member
    Oh wow, that's a lot of work and great pics! Nice job!

We have a family of 4, I spend under $150 every 2 weeks on our meals/household stuff and pick up salad and milk as needed (because around here, salad seems to go bad sooo fast). We buy mostly veggies and protein (meats, yogurts, eggs- so many eggs haha) and we limit the processed starchy stuff. I usually make our own bread- it's so much yummier and easy to make 2 loaves a week and freeze one.

I also refuse to shop at more than one, maybe 2, stores because it's a waste of time/gas and energy for me to do that with the kids. I plan meals around what's in season so I know it'll be a good price and I repurpose leftovers/extras into new meals and leftovers for lunches. To be fair, we also live in a fairly low COL area compared to much of the country.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Oh wow, that's a lot of work and great pics! Nice job!

We have a family of 4, I spend under $150 every 2 weeks on our meals/household stuff and pick up salad and milk as needed (because around here, salad seems to go bad sooo fast). We buy mostly veggies and protein (meats, yogurts, eggs- so many eggs haha) and we limit the processed starchy stuff. I usually make our own bread- it's so much yummier and easy to make 2 loaves a week and freeze one.

I also refuse to shop at more than one, maybe 2, stores because it's a waste of time/gas and energy for me to do that with the kids. I plan meals around what's in season so I know it'll be a good price and I repurpose leftovers/extras into new meals and leftovers for lunches. To be fair, we also live in a fairly low COL area compared to much of the country.
    That's awesome. Please show me how to shop! We are a family of 5 and spent A LOT more than that.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    I hit up the 50% off meat really, really regularly. I also found that if you hit the butcher counter JUST before closing, you often get deals on the odds and ends that are left. We get some serious meat deals, and I grow a good portion of our produce. Plus chickens in the backyard means fresh eggs. We do, however, spend quite a bit of money on groceries regardless.