Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I Don't Believe in Calorie Counting

Replies

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Meh, my brain generally answered back with a B*te me. I'm going to eat that anyway. If it didn't, I wouldn't be here.

Ha, yup.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Tracey "no woman should lift more than 3lb ever" Anderson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvbm6qpQw4

Why is she still even a thing?

I don't know her. Which one is she -- the lithe blonde, the tall, thinner woman behind or the chunky one with the ponytail near the door?

She's the one who isn't Gwyneth Paltrow or the lady with the ponytail...

Ha ha, not sure which one is Paltrow, either, but neither of these closer women is hideous.

You do realize that someone can be "hideous" in attitude, not just physical attribute?

This is true, though I'm not sure that taking an approach besides counting calories qualifies someone as hideous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    I pretty much don't believe anything Tracy Anderson says, ever. Among some of the gems:
    • women shouldn't lift weights over 3 pounds because they'll get bulky
    • running and biking will make women develop bulky man-looking rear ends
    • only work small muscle groups (no, really, she says this)

Also she has lied about her qualifications (said she studied at Juilliard but they have no record of her enrollment, taught Pilates without any certification), etc., etc. Recommends diets that are unsafe because they are below 1000 calories (I realize that some people go that low with medical supervision but she is NOT a doctor). Has been sued as a result of some shady stuff she did running a fitness center in Indiana.

Considering the source, I can't get behind anything she says, ever. (Also, MFP and counting calories are working for me.)

http://thedailybanter.com/2013/09/tracy-anderson-and-the-myth-behind-celebrity-trainers-and-diets/
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/10/21/madonnas-trainer-fights-back.html
    https://loseweightnobullshit.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/tracy-andersons-methods-are-dangerous-damaging-and-anti-feminist/
    This. One CANNOT seriously take the word of a person who has no background in physiology, biology or kinesiology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PiperGirl08
    I don't believe in Tracy Anderson.

I do not think Tracy was working with people with eating disorders perhaps. If one does not count how are they going to learn if they are over eating or not.

Yes we know humans with full health automatically know when to stop eating but until we learn how to eat to regain our natural health counting can be a good tool.

What about people that have to take meds that screws up one's ability to automatically know when to stop eating to maintain weight? Some people count for entertainment perhaps?

There is no reason to not count or to count but that can will not be the same for everyone. Most who visit MFP and stay have a desire to bring eating order into our lives. In my case when I found the right macro for my body the need to count was resolved but had I never counted I would have never known why I once had food cravings perhaps.

Few show up here with perfect health already due to eating a perfect balanced macro i expect. While our goal is to regain our health and have no need to count calories that can take longer for some than others.

Thumbs up to your most intelligent post.

Bingo on the bolded statement. Those who wish to count should do so. But the general cult-like enmity towards those who don't (and don't need to) is rather disturbing.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

I don't know her. Which one is she -- the lithe blonde, the tall, thinner woman behind or the chunky one with the ponytail near the door?

Ha ha, not sure which one is Paltrow, either, but neither of these closer women is hideous.

You do realize that someone can be "hideous" in attitude, not just physical attribute?

This is true, though I'm not sure that taking an approach besides counting calories qualifies someone as hideous.

No, it's the fact she's selling her philosophy and says so many very bad things that make her hideous.
  • PiperGirl08
    Bronty3 wrote: »
    25npgvu4i435.png

Based on the previously posted picture, assuming she's not the chunky one near the door, she doesn't appear to be at all hideous.

It is literally only two very thin women. There is not a "chunky" one in the mirror. It's a reflection of the tall thin one. You could have just clicked and watched 2 seconds of the video. Sounds to me like you maybe don't have the healthiest attitude and relationship with food or weight. Calling a slightly overweight person "chunky" and hideous means you have some of your own issues you maybe should have a conversation with yourself about. Do some soul searching of your own. You're rather judgmental and hostile to anyone who has gained weight and is losing it in a healthy way on here by counting calories.

Actually, I didn't call the woman hideous, someone else did. I said she, Tracey, was anything but.

But yep, I did refer to the one by the door as chunky. Fat is not the new fit, no matter how vociferously people lobby for FA.
  • PiperGirl08

No, it's the fact she's selling her philosophy and says so many very bad things that make her hideous.

Bad things like what? That calories counting isn't necessary, but rather food understanding is? Oh, the horror.
  • PiperGirl08
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I pretty much don't believe anything Tracy Anderson says, ever. Among some of the gems:

Also she has lied about her qualifications (said she studied at Juilliard but they have no record of her enrollment, taught Pilates without any certification), etc., etc. Recommends diets that are unsafe because they are below 1000 calories (I realize that some people go that low with medical supervision but she is NOT a doctor). Has been sued as a result of some shady stuff she did running a fitness center in Indiana.

Considering the source, I can't get behind anything she says, ever. (Also, MFP and counting calories are working for me.)

http://thedailybanter.com/2013/09/tracy-anderson-and-the-myth-behind-celebrity-trainers-and-diets/
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/10/21/madonnas-trainer-fights-back.html
    https://loseweightnobullshit.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/tracy-andersons-methods-are-dangerous-damaging-and-anti-feminist/
    This. One CANNOT seriously take the word of a person who has no background in physiology, biology or kinesiology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yet there are all these people on this thread doing exactly that.
  • PiperGirl08
    No bad things like this which you seem to be conveniently ignoring

Not ignoring them, they weren't in the article and consequently are not germane to the discussion.

That you don't care for Tracey is fine, but this isn't a "who likes Tracey?" thread. It is a calorie counting vs. food understanding thread. Please feel free to start one of the former of your own, though.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    But yep, I did refer to the one by the door as chunky. Fat is not the new fit, no matter how vociferously people lobby for FA.

Have you noticed that is her reflection? There are two women in that video. Paltrow is chunky to you? Cool....
  • PiperGirl08
    edited May 2016
    Bronty3 wrote: »
    25npgvu4i435.png

Based on the previously posted picture, assuming she's not the chunky one near the door, she doesn't appear to be at all hideous.

It is literally only two very thin women. There is not a "chunky" one in the mirror. It's a reflection of the tall thin one. You could have just clicked and watched 2 seconds of the video. Sounds to me like you maybe don't have the healthiest attitude and relationship with food or weight. Calling a slightly overweight person "chunky" and hideous means you have some of your own issues you maybe should have a conversation with yourself about. Do some soul searching of your own. You're rather judgmental and hostile to anyone who has gained weight and is losing it in a healthy way on here by counting calories.

Oh shoot, I missed the hostile part! Got bored before I got that far.

I think the unhealthiness issues are your own. I think you are self-conscious about your weight and are of the mind that everyone must tell you that your (and others) weight issues are ok and you want to be coddled about them. I didn't start this thread for that purpose. And I'm not going to go there.
  • PiperGirl08
    Dvdgzz wrote: »

Have you noticed that is her reflection? There are two women in that video. Paltrow is chunky to you? Cool....

That's what people keep saying. The non-reflected Paltrow is not chunky, but that mirror does her no favors.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    calorie counting vs. food understanding

¿Por qué no los dos?