Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What kind of fat are you?

GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/05/04/obesity-could-be-contagious-like-superbug-cdiff-suggest-scientis/

Obesity could be contagious like superbug C.diff, suggest scientists ????

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Not fat
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Also not fat and never was fat
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Not fat
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I'm not.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Not fat.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    mkakids wrote: »
    Or instead of obesity being contagious via gut bacteria to those in the same home.....the people sharing a home could....be eating the same, overly caloric, diets and sharing the same lack of physical exercise.

u1xo5dugqy1j.gif
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    :o:D
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    mkakids wrote: »
    Or instead of obesity being contagious via gut bacteria to those in the same home.....the people sharing a home could....be eating the same, overly caloric, diets and sharing the same lack of physical exercise.

Oh come on...be realistic...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Happily ... I'm not fat. :)

I have only been overweight 3 times in my life.

Once for about 3 months back in 1991. I'd been through a major surgery and then almost as soon as I was somewhat recovered started packing to move to another province ... so I wasn't really exercising much or paying attention. About a week after we arrived in the new place I stepped on the scale and discovered I had crept up into the overweight range. A month later I was no longer overweight.

In 2011, after recovering from a pretty major case of DVT and a move to another country + another move within that country, combined with several other fairly stressful situations ... I stepped on the scale again and discovered I was overweight. Again, not exercising much or paying attention. 13 weeks later I was no longer overweight.

In January 2015, after going through 2 surgeries (both cancer scares) plus a whole bunch of unsettledness (more moves, new job, etc.) ... I was overweight again. I joined MFP toward the end of February and about 12 weeks later, I was no longer overweight. I've been within the normal range for the past year. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Not fat.

Agree that eating similar food and the fact that habits are often similar probably has more to do with obesity within a family or roommates. Walter Willett has a book about how associations tend to have an influence called Thinfluence and there have been other studies.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Nope, not fat in spite of being around overweight people all the time :p
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    So much click bait.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I grew up in a home with overweight parents. My siblings and I were normal weight or underweight until our 20's when we had lifestyle changes and moved out. One sibling's weight dropped. She is underweight for her height. Her husband and children are healthy weights. My other sibling gained and was slightly overweight for awhile. He lost the weight. His wife has always been overweight but his children are not overweight. I was underweight, then a healthy weight and finally gained 50 lbs to reach just over the obese line and the other people in my household still were not overweight.
    I gained weight because I was eating too many calories for my size and activity level. It is incredibly easy to do that.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I became stressed fat reading that article...

That said, it is very thought provoking and I will look out for further developments in this line of investigation.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    I have slightly higher body fat than I'd like (12-14%) but I don't think there's any world where I'm fat.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited May 2016
    I am none of those types of fat. *but i am overweight*

People are fat because of imbalanced gut flora?
    Or do they have an imbalanced gut flora because they are fat, ie: unhealthy?

Why must our weight due to overeating and sedentary lifestyle always try to be blamed on other things?

BREAKING NEWS: Airborne obesity super-bug hits NYC!!! Oh noes!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    While I do believe that gut flora plays significant roll in our overall health and I do believe it has a roll in weight management, I think a family sharing similar food habits and overeating has more to do with the obesity epidemic than contagious bad gut bacteria. People have bad gut flora because of crap diets and eating habits.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I am none of those types of fat. *but i am overweight*

People are fat because of imbalanced gut flora?
    Or do they have an imbalanced gut flora because they are fat, ie: unhealthy?

Why must our weight due to overeating and sedentary lifestyle always try to be blamed on other things?

BREAKING NEWS: Airborne obesity super-bug hits NYC!!! Oh noes!!

Well if you read through to the end that vaguely relates to the title, you don't get fat because of your gut bacteria; you get fat because you're tired or stressed. And none of the solutions mention getting a fecal transfer or eating probacteria; just get more sleep, exercise more, control food intake.

Shocking advice really.