Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I Don't Believe in Calorie Counting

Replies

• RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    RickNeedzToGetShreaded Posts: 293 Member
    edited May 2016
    I think calorie counting is far better, you can control your weightloss to 1-2lbs and maintain muscle mass, far better then something like slimmingworld where you'll yo yo diet and lose 4lbs one week and gain a few the next...
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    I didn't calorie count the first time I got into shape. I just ate whole foods 90% of the time and had a couple cheat meals a week. I was also working out and hour to an hour and a half six days a week though.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I pretty much don't believe anything Tracy Anderson says, ever. Among some of the gems:
    • women shouldn't lift weights over 3 pounds because they'll get bulky
    • running and biking will make women develop bulky man-looking rear ends
    • only work small muscle groups (no, really, she says this)

Also she has lied about her qualifications (said she studied at Juilliard but they have no record of her enrollment, taught Pilates without any certification), etc., etc. Recommends diets that are unsafe because they are below 1000 calories (I realize that some people go that low with medical supervision but she is NOT a doctor). Has been sued as a result of some shady stuff she did running a fitness center in Indiana.

Considering the source, I can't get behind anything she says, ever. (Also, MFP and counting calories are working for me.)

http://thedailybanter.com/2013/09/tracy-anderson-and-the-myth-behind-celebrity-trainers-and-diets/
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/10/21/madonnas-trainer-fights-back.html
    https://loseweightnobullshit.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/tracy-andersons-methods-are-dangerous-damaging-and-anti-feminist/

Wow I am doomed!!! I lift weights and they are way more than 3lbs! I bike....A LOT and I run! I work all muscle groups!!! I am fit, healthy and one strong *kitten*!!!!! I feel FANTASTIC!!!!!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Tracey "no woman should lift more than 3lb ever" Anderson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvbm6qpQw4

Why is she still even a thing?

I don't know her. Which one is she -- the lithe blonde, the tall, thinner woman behind or the chunky one with the ponytail near the door?

She's the one who isn't Gwyneth Paltrow or the lady with the ponytail...

Ha ha, not sure which one is Paltrow, either, but neither of these closer women is hideous.

You do realize that someone can be "hideous" in attitude, not just physical attribute?

This is true, though I'm not sure that taking an approach besides counting calories qualifies someone as hideous.

No, it's the fact she's selling her philosophy and says so many very bad things that make her hideous.

Bad things like what? That calories counting isn't necessary, but rather food understanding is? Oh, the horror.

Yeah, the horror. I understand that eating more nutritious food is better for me. Eating 3000 calories of it is not.
    Someone could lose weight eating deep fried twinkies every day if they kept in deficit. That is scientifically proven. What is not scientifically proven? That understanding deep fried twinkies on an emotional and spiritual level will cause you to lose weight.

Of course the real underlying question is what would lead anyone who hasn't burned 3000 calories in a day to feel the need to consume that many or how having that much food in one's stomach could even be comfortable, regularly. But if counting helps, count away. But attacking people who don't count, also a problem.

Which country was it that you live in again?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I didn't calorie count the first time I got into shape. I just ate whole foods 90% of the time and had a couple cheat meals a week. I was also working out and hour to an hour and a half six days a week though.

This is basically what I did too.

Then, some years later, after maintaining easily for a quite a while, I became largely sedentary for various reasons and didn't realize I needed to adjust my eating (I ate healthy, after all), and started regaining. Learning what my sedentary maintenance is has been an eye-opening experience (although I am no longer sedentary at all).

I'm all for understanding food and nutrition, but personally I did and managed to gain weight anyway. I don't find it that tough to exceed maintenance on food that meets my nutrition goals otherwise (that is, other than the excess calories). I suspect this is so for many of us who have become overweight.

Anyway, I don't care if anyone else counts -- I did when losing this time, am not right now although I may start again to try to meet my ultimate body comp goals -- but I found it to be a useful and not burdensome tool.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    stickkop wrote: »
    Its really this simple - every single person who ever lost weight lost it because they were at a calorie deficit. You don't have to count calories to be at a calorie deficit - you can do weight watchers, or any other diet plan. Unless you eat less calories that you burn you will not lose weight period.

Exactly.

Which is why OP sees this so-called 'attacking' of people for not counting calories. They're usually the ones posting "help, I eat right but can't lose". So we suggest a way to correct that - on a site primarily dedicated to calorie counting, that suggestion is going to be "accurately track your calories and make sure you eat less than your CO".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    by Tracey Anderson,
    http://motto.time.com/4315473/tracy-anderson-calorie-counting/?xid=newsletter-brief

"People need to have the courage and the determination to understand food and to really reflect on their past relationships with food. It’s more about the awareness of the kinds of food people are eating, the amounts they’re eating...so much of our hunger is not even rooted in a real biological need to eat; a lot of it is rooted in emotion.

"I think it’s just about having an ongoing dialogue with yourself where you try as often as possible to say, “How can I show up for myself and my body today through my food choices?”"

I agree. Thoughts?

What if you've never been a binger or an emotional eater and you're a generally healthy eater who doesn't really overeat all that much, but your metabolism has slowed up a bit due to age or a medical condition?

Then what?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited May 2016
    Well, two things here:
    1) this is quote from the article, not my statement; and ... (removed irrelevant text for brevity)

So you posted that specific quote because you disagreed with it? I'm trying to understand your motivation here with this.