Compression gartments to prevent loose skin?

Options
Hello everyone.
I am beginning my weight loss journey to lose 100+ pounds, and I am hoping to prevent loose skin as much as possible.
I recently read that wearing compression garments (shirts and pants) can help prevent loose skin?
I was wondering if anyone has found this to be true? Maybe you have information regarding the use of compression garments to prevent loose skin?
Thank you.
Sara

Replies

• sarar87
    sarar87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. From what I can tell, genetics are not on my side.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I can't really imagine how compression clothes can help with lose skin.

Maybe temporarily, as in wear it, take it off and for the next hour your skin retains the compression before going back to normal.

But yeah, genetics, age and time spent over weight seem to be the only factors that matter and are all out of your control.

A common suggestion is to lift weights to help maintain muscle, I guess so you don't lose as much muscle while losing fat.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The one thing I heard (no evidence) from a plastic surgeon is the idea that the compression gear could reduce the amount the skin is stretched (not being pulled down by weight as much), so it might shrink a little faster than otherwise left alone.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    In my experience it's either going to happen or its not. If you lift weights in addition to calorie blasting cardio "they" say your skin should shrink back better. Mine has shrunk a little, but I still have a lot of fat keeping it from shrinking further. Slow and steady weight loss will help too-- dropping it all quickly will not let your skin have a chance to react.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that when I've lost a good amount of weight, my chest area suffered, which is the part of my body most "compressed" on a regular basis :D so I'm not sure how, exactly, that could work out
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would help. I'd be cautious with compression garments on the legs. I read this study (yes, I'm trying to find a link for you scientific types) that talked about the increased dangers of a deep vein thrombosis from using compression. That's basically where a blood clot in your leg breaks off and travels elsewhere. My dad just had this and the clot got stuck in his lungs and almost killed him. I read another study that said compression can be used to try and prevent DVT. Any way, not taking any chances here.

The risk factors were being heavy, smoking, being over 35, and being on hormonal birth control...since I can tick most of those boxes I decided compression sleeves probably weren't for me.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that when I've lost a good amount of weight, my chest area suffered, which is the part of my body most "compressed" on a regular basis :D so I'm not sure how, exactly, that could work out

Yep my breasts deflated like a pin in a balloon lol. This is after keeping them "compressed"

I'm with others here. Either genetics are on your side or not.