Confused by Macros

bibiverm
bibiverm Posts: 8 Member
I'm really not sure what my macros should be. I'm new on here and according to the what this app worked out i should be eating 50% carbs and only 20% protein. I would prefer more protein less carbs. I know i can change it myself but just wondering what has worked for others?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Do you prefer more protein for satiety or for fitness goals? There's no reason why you can't adjust it to what you think you would prefer, see if it works for you, and then adjust it again if you want more (or less) protein. Protein is one of those things that vary widely. Many people go with the default, some eat a lot more, and others (like myself) eat less.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I use the defaults. They're based on widely adopted norms in the literature. But on a regular basis, I go under on fat and carbs, hit about right on protein
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    For most people a 40/30/30 ratio let's them reach the recommended requirements for protein and fats while providing enough carbs for energy/mood/vitamins/minerals. but, it's up to you.

So long as you are consuming the recommended .8-1.2g per lb lbm (if active) in protein and minimum 20% fats, you can adjust the rest to fit your personal preferance and energy levels.
  • Lana4639
    Lana4639 Posts: 44 Member
    I have gotten success eating 30%carbs/40%protein/30%fats
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. I prefer higher protein and fat
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    I do 40/30/30!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    bibiverm wrote: »
    I'm really not sure what my macros should be. I'm new on here and according to the what this app worked out i should be eating 50% carbs and only 20% protein. I would prefer more protein less carbs. I know i can change it myself but just wondering what has worked for others?

You can update it by going to Home -> Goals and editing the box that has carb/protein/fat listed. I prefer high fat moderate protein, but it's all personal preference.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Lana4639 wrote: »

Im pretty close to that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I aim for about .8 g of protein/lb of goal weight. That comes to 96 g, so rounding up to 100 just for convenience, it's 20% of 2000 and 30% of 1333 (which is a lower deficit than I'd actually do currently). So, basically, I like the MFP defaults when at maintenance and tend to like 40-30-30 (40% carbs) when at a deficit. Mostly I just try to get at least 90 g or so of protein and don't worry too much about fat vs. carbs.
  • bigdogintheyard
    bigdogintheyard Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2016
    I don't worry to much about the ratio, more about hitting minimums. Currently 160 protein, 135 carbs and 70 fat. Normally come up a little short on fat. I'm trying to lose more aggressively at the moment and I think the fat and protein numbers are the minimum for good health for me. Carbs I could go lower on but I'm cutting enough calories so it's ok. Too low protein and you lose muscle, too low fat messes with hormones and essential functions, to low crabs you go into ketosis, might feel bad until you get used to it (never done keto myself). Try something and then tweak it as you see fit.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Weight loss - doesn't matter.
    Athletic concerns - don't ask here unless you want answers like : LCHF, LFHC, keto, IIFYM, no sugars, just eat clean, etc.

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mostly I just try to get at least 90 g or so of protein and don't worry too much about fat vs. carbs.
    I don't worry to much about the ratio, more about hitting minimums.

Too low protein and you lose muscle, too low fat messes with hormones and essential functions

Yeah, I like this approach more so than sweating ratios (which can make your meal planning be a tricky puzzle). My priority is hitting protein range, in grams > fat > carbs.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    I do 40% carbs and 30% for fat and protein. Purely because otherwise I will eat a bowl of pasta, two pizzas and a family. Having increased fat and protein helps to curb this kind of behaviour.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I do 40% carbs and 30% for fat and protein. Purely because otherwise I will eat a bowl of pasta, two pizzas and a family. Having increased fat and protein helps to curb this kind of behaviour.

yep. this is why i always recommend 40/30/30 to people first.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I don't like percentages when it comes to macros because it doesn't account for whether someone is bulking, cutting or maintaining.
    For instance, I need slightly more protein on a cut than I do during a bulk. However, using percentages, increasing my calories for a bulk would also increase my protein.

I prefer to use static protein and fat goals in grams.

To explain:
    Because I'm a heavy lifter and also cutting, I try to get about 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.
    Also, because I need enough fat for joint, skin, hair, hormone and brain health, I shoot for .4 grams per pound of lean bodyweight (recommend .38-.42).

My calorie goal is 2,200.
    Subtract 4 calories per gram of protein and 9 per gram of fat from those 2,200 and the remaining calories go to carbs.

If I switch to bulking, I (personally) leave my protein and fat goals alone (I don't need more fat or protein just because I'm not losing weight) and simply increase my carbs to meet the new calorie goal.

Also, the fat and protein goals are minimums. I shoot for at least that much. I may or may not then also spend my carb calories on more fats/protein if I'm so inclined.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    edited May 2016
    Lana4639 wrote: »

I'm pretty similar except it's 25%carbs/35%protein/40%fat. It's whatever you can feel like works for you to stay within your calories and something you can maintain for the rest of your life.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016

Isn't the family likely to have lots of fat and protein, though?

;-)

I can actually hit 40-30-30 with pasta pretty easily -- homemade sauce with lean meat, sensible amount of pasta, lots of vegetables in the sauce. The only problem with pizza (macro-wise) is I don't really like meat on pizza so have to plan around it to hit my protein. I think of the average higher cal pizza and pasta as likely to be as much high in fat as high in carbs.