Why is being a stripper bad?

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Not telling you what to do with your life but playing devil's advocate and I would think people look down upon stripping because it's typically been an underground sort of thing, people liken the profession to prostitution, i.e. using your body to make money. Lots of people feel it's degrading, I worked with a man who went on a diatribe when my friends were taking me to a male strip joint about how it's degrading and demoralizing.

if it's on the up and up and you are doing it just for the money then go for it. I think the fact too that often strippers are stripping to get money to pay for their drug addictions is off putting to many. And really...there's lots of pervy guys leering at women's pictures here in the selfie thread...you'd just get these guys leering at you in real life! haha

and this isn't meant to judge just as I said devil's advocate and illustrating why some people might be offended.
  • alleyneagle193
    alleyneagle193 Posts: 23 Member
    Not sure if it is right for you though since you stated in another thread that you don't like being flirted with based on your looks. What do you think is going to happen at a strip club?
    Well I know that's just part of the job but in public like a restaurant or something I hate waiters hitting on me when they see me. But if they find somethings funny and then try hitting on me it's not as bad
  • alleyneagle193
    Because most men see strippers as future prostitutes. At about 28 when their looks are destroyed by drugs and alcohol a large number of strippers turn to prostitution. Plus most men would never marry a stripper. Stripping is simply a soul crushing job long term. Plus the money is just not all that great.

It actually makes really good money just not in the beginning bc most newbie strippers don't get as many tips
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    edited May 2016
    It's not. It's a job just like anything else. Good luck to you if you decide to make this choice. People who work as strippers won't get any judgement from me...regardless of gender. It's a hard job in spite of what people think and the money made is hard earned!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    umm..its not likely to be a career anyone could do for long.....
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    The biggest and only issue I can see is it isn't a long term job. Most people can make a good living for 10 maybe 15 years and then what? I saw a few people said the same thing.

Only issues I could see is if you want to at all in the future work in a field with children, because at least at my college they drilled it into our heads to never do that or any other thing that could compromise how someone viewed us.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    If you're a stripper, can you still *kitten* about being objectified?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I don't see anything wrong with it but then I live 10 minutes from a legal brothel.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    If you're a stripper, can you still *kitten* about being objectified?

I would say when at work you shouldn't complain at people gawking at you since that is your job as long as they keep their hands to themselves if that is the rules at the club.

Outside of work I would think they should be allowed the same personal boundaries and feelings as someone with any other type of job.

At least that is how I think about it.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Because it's hard on your soul, which is why many strippers end up on drugs.

And are you married? Plan on getting married? You either narrow the pool of men to those who wouldn't mind marrying a stripper, or you lie about your past, which is also hard on your soul.

LOL..people get flagged for the weirdest reasons. I agree with your comment, although we may be in the minority. But in the end, it's your life, your soul, your future. You need to do what will make you happy :)
  • alleyneagle193
    edited May 2016
    I've been wondering why being a stripper is bad because I honestly want to be a stripper. They make really good money and can wear really cute clothes. I see nothing morally wrong with being a stripper unless you have kids... Then you should probably get a better job. What do you think?

I see you're 18 years old. Would you have a problem telling your parents what you do for work? Any of your siblings? If you do, then it may not be for you.

Also, "wear really cute clothes"? Do strippers actually wear clothes?

Edit: You should probably just get a job at Hooters or Twin Peaks.

Yes my parents know I have also gotten permission from them to be a stripper for money for college I just have to be classy and yes classy ones do
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Well, there's dirty perverse people, along with the normal human natured people.. It's a pretty dirty environment to tell you the truth. I went into a strip club like twice and the atmosphere is a dirty one.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I've been wondering why being a stripper is bad because I honestly want to be a stripper. They make really good money and can wear really cute clothes. I see nothing morally wrong with being a stripper unless you have kids... Then you should probably get a better job. What do you think?

I see you're 18 years old. Would you have a problem telling your parents what you do for work? Any of your siblings? If you do, then it may not be for you.

Also, "wear really cute clothes"? Do strippers actually wear clothes?

Edit: You should probably just get a job at Hooters or Twin Peaks.

Yes my parents know I have also gotten permission from them to be a stripper for money for college I just have to be classy and yes classy ones do

I would wonder how big of a difference there was between the supposed classy places and the dives. I also wonder if a rookie could just walk into a classy place and get a job.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    It's not "bad." It may not be the wisest choice depending on your plans for your life though. Many potential partners and employers may think it's "bad."

Agree with the others who talked about the age out. Planning for it to be a short term job, cool. Same goes for prostitution in my opinion. Career? Not likely to work out. It's a job where your earning potential decreases over time.