Changed my scales - instantly 6lb heavier

So fed up. Thought I was 11st, total loss of 3st 2lbs since Jan 1. Been weighing on Salter mechanical scales, peering down at a tiny display. Bought some Withings scales (WS-50) because I thought it would keep me motivated and to track more accurately, avoiding the dreaded weekly weigh-in. Hopped on the old Salter scales this morning. 11st. Elation, down a pound. Went on the new - 11st 5.6. I know in reality I haven't gained but means I am further away from goal than I thought. Has anyone else had this happen? My first reaction was to think about taking the new scales back, but I guess I have to think long-term. Galling, though, when you see your graph go up instead of down, synced with MFP.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Do you have the new scale placed on the same surface as the old scale? An increase in numbers like that can be discouraging, but it's a small amount and it IS just a number. If you are working on your health then your body inside will benefit and react first. You'll soon see the physical changes.

Start taking your measurements as well. There will be times when the scale number doesn't move but you will lose inches here and there. Just keep at it!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Was it instantly or was there a few hours in between? We fluctuate by a few lbs through out the day.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    That still doesn't take away the amount of weight you lost.

You still lost an X number of pounds. If your first scale was calibrated incorrectly, then you were unknowingly recording the wrong weight to begin with. (I don't know if that makes sense - sorry)

What I'm trying to say is that you still lost that 3st 2lbs, your starting weight was just higher than you thought it was.

As stated above, it is just a number and it doesn't measure your self-worth.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    You would have to get on a (hopefully) calibrated scale -- perhaps bat the doctor's office -- to be able to determine which of your two scales is accurate. In the end, you are tracking your weight to determine what you have lost and that number isn't impacted by the new scale - you are as close to your goal on the new scale as you are on the old. If the old scale makes you feel better about your progress, keep using it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Yes. Changed from a spring scale (250# rollover) to a digital scale (450# limit) and gained 14#. It sucked. Hard. Took a while to join up that I still lost the same weight, that my starting point was 14# heavier than I thought.
  • Slug62
    Slug62 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, both were on s flat service and done within seconds of each other. I can't understand how the old scales can have been so wildly out. The only way is up (or down, hopefully).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Maybe the scale you replaced was old and wasn't accurate? I wasn't familiar with either scale you mentioned in your OP so I looked them up. Changing from a mechanical to a digital scale is a big change. I stick with my old mechanical scale because I don't want to be bothered by tenths of a pound changes. But, you'll get used to the new scale and number will move down if you just stay consistent.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    why don't you test them both out to see which one is in fact accurate by weighing something you KNOW the definitive weight of on each and compare?
  • Slug62
    Brilliant idea. Will try that tomorrow. My son did the same direct comparison today and he was 7lb heavier on the Withings scales, so at least it's consistently brutal. But will try bellaa_x0's idea
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Comparing one scale weight to another is doing just that - it is NOT making a comment on all the weight you've lost.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I make sure I place my scale in the same spot every time. I can weigh myself at home (digital scale), then get weighed at the Dr. immediately after (nothing to eat or drink). The readings will be different.
  • Slug62
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I make sure I place my scale in the same spot every time. I can weigh myself at home (digital scale), then get weighed at the Dr. immediately after (nothing to eat or drink). The readings will be different.

Yes, but these readings are different even though the scale are placed in the same place and the weighing done seconds apart.

I am still motivated but feel a bit silly. All it means really is that I was even fatter than I thought I was, I am not as light now as I thought I was, and now my goal weight needs to be 9st 9lbs on the digital, 10st on the Salters. And I haven't been 9st 9lbs since I was about 14 :/
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    Yep, been there too. Replaced my old spring scale a few months into the process with a digital and was horrified to see they read 8 lbs different, and not in my favor. It stung for a while, but I just went back and adjusted my start weight and my subsequent weigh-ins (which eliminated the "false spike" issue in terms of my graph) and kept soldiering on. Now I don't even think about it. I know it feels like you took a step back, but just keep reminding yourself that your overall progress is in no way diminished. You are doing great!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Slug62 wrote: »
    So fed up. Thought I was 11st, total loss of 3st 2lbs since Jan 1. Been weighing on Salter mechanical scales, peering down at a tiny display. Bought some Withings scales (WS-50) because I thought it would keep me motivated and to track more accurately, avoiding the dreaded weekly weigh-in. Hopped on the old Salter scales this morning. 11st. Elation, down a pound. Went on the new - 11st 5.6. I know in reality I haven't gained but means I am further away from goal than I thought. Has anyone else had this happen? My first reaction was to think about taking the new scales back, but I guess I have to think long-term. Galling, though, when you see your graph go up instead of down, synced with MFP.

this is why obsessing about some arbitrary number is so ridiculous...the actual number isn't important. You can step on three different scales and you're going to get three different numbers. The scale is only one tool, and it's really only good for tracking trends...'cuz you don't weigh exactly XXX Lbs.
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Happened to me when I changed scales.. It was disheartening. My advice to you would be to keep going and track your results with this one, and unless absolutely necessary do not change scales again until after you've gotten where you want to be
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Scales are made differently. In a two week time frame I have had three diffenrt scales tell me three differnt things and two of the scales were in my Doctors office. Measurements are morer accurate and muscle and fat both weigh the same they are just distriuted differently. Keep exerciseing and eating healty and all your ducks will fall in to a line of where you want to be . Remeber weight loss is a journey
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Ditch the scales !