muscle or fat? help

i got my scale tuesday Jan 13 2009
and since then it says i gained 2 pounds,
is that fat or muscle ive been working out and doing my cardio everyday and watching wat i ate no cheating but y does it say i gained 2 pounds

Replies

• WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    i got my scale tuesday Jan 13 2009
    and since then it says i gained 2 pounds,
    is that fat or muscle ive been working out and doing my cardio everyday and watching wat i ate no cheating but y does it say i gained 2 pounds
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    A healthy female without the aid of steroids taking in an excess of about 100 calories per day can expect to gain about 1 lb of muscle per month, maybe a little bit more if she's new to training and building up a TON of lactic acid and getting the proper amount of rest and protein/fat/carbohydrate ratio.

If that sounds like you, it's muscle. If not, it's water.

Muscle has to be BUILT, and needs MATERIALS. Being in a caloric deficit doesn't provide those materials. Having low testosterone levels makes it even harder. It is NOT EASY to gain muscle.
  • what is "working out" to you? Weight training? Its hard to say why you gained weight without that info.
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    i streghth train everyday and do my cardio everyday
    walk/run
    and so on
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    i streghth train everyday and do my cardio everyday
    walk/run
    and so on

Body weight fluctuates hourly based on what we eat, what we drink, how much water we're retaining, how much blood sugar we have stored in our muscles, and how much waste we have in our bowels. It will fluctuate daily as well, so you can't record your weight every day. It's best to look at trends every couple of weeks for a general idea of whether you're moving in the right direction or not.

What type of strength training are you doing? Not just any will cause muscle growth.
  • You are totally gaining muscle then, I suggest doing measurements every 4 weeks more if you feel the need. When I am going strength training like that I will sit at the same weight for like 4 weeks, i'll have my cycle then I will be done like 5 pounds. And repeat. Don't give up I am sure if you aren't already feeling it in your clothes you will be very soon.:flowerforyou:
  • Try checking your measurements. I know I usually gain when I work out but my BMI goes down and clothes fit better.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    I agree with Songbyrdysweet... the chances of actually building muscle that shows up on your scale, in a week, is very slim!

I think your weight gain would be due to fluid retained by your fatigued muscles. I know EXACTLY how frustrating this is, becuase I have stuck to my calories this week, run every morning for at least 30-60 minutes, and 4 times this week I did a double workout at the gym in the evening..... and..... nothing lost. I know it's my muscles retaining fluid though, because my waistline feels slimmer, and my muscles hurt like heck!

Good luck and keep at it!!! When I was losing my first 30 lbs, I found that some weeks I would lose nothing, or go up a half a pound, and then the next week, bam, 3 lbs gone!
    :flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    I've been stuck going up and done in #s on the scale. (I curse it). My husband will say, or I will think that I'm looking slimmer, weigh myself and I'm up! Makes me want to bawl. Starts my day off horribly. Needless to say I know how you feel. I blame hormones also. PMS week I don't go near the scale or I would defintlely be sending that thing out the window!. 12.gif