Losing weight after wisdom teeth removal?

So, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed soon, and I have no clue how I'm supposed to eat healthy when I can't chew. I hate the texture of applesauce, and it's awfully hard to get fruits and veggies otherwise... Any ideas?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    I wouldn't worry about it for the short time your gums are healing and just eat ice cream, but...

Ask your dentist about food choices or look at the many resources online, and choose options that fit in to your version of 'eating healthy'.

Also, don't use a straw.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    I have no experience with this, but do you like smoothies? I know a lot of people toss fruits, yogurt, almond milk, and other yummy stuff into a blender alongside a handful of greens (like spinach) to make some really awesome smoothies. Other optional adds are protein powders and peanut butter. I love smoothies, but I like chewing too much, so I don't have any personal recipes of my own--maybe a few people will pop in with some! :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    If this is a concern, you can supplement your intake with Ensure. They have many varieties, including one with extra calories.

But as was mentioned, do not use a straw. Creating suction in your mouth can cause renewed bleeding from the extraction sites.
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    I had my wisdom teeth taken out under general anaesthetic 2 years ago. I remember eating alot of yogurt, soup and mashed potato. lol
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, salads, protein drinks, eggs. Just a few ideas anyway.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited May 2016
    So, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed soon, and I have no clue how I'm supposed to eat healthy when I can't chew. I hate the texture of applesauce, and it's awfully hard to get fruits and veggies otherwise... Any ideas?

Oh, and V-8 juice. :)
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    I got mine out two weeks ago. The first day, I had a large chocolate shake from McDonald's and a large strawberry banana smoothie from Smoothie King haha.

The first week, I survived on easy mac, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, avocado, milk, greek yogurt, pudding, and ice cream.

It sucked not being able to get my regular fruit and veggies in, but just focus on taking it easy and giving yourself time to heal!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I don't remember it being too bad. I had them taken out the monday before thanksgiving and remember eating thanksgiving without any issues. I went to an oral surgeon and not a dentist so I think it went overall smoother than people I've known who just went to a dentist. I barely had any swelling, you couldn't even tell I had had surgery. I don't think you'll be out of chewing commission long enough to make a huge difference health wise unless you develop complications.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Heh- I'm sure not everyone's experience will echo mine, but I just had oral surgery and pretty much lived on Ensure and V8 for two weeks. I also found Greek yogurt and ice cream invaluable. My weight also plateaued for about three weeks- while on around 990 calories of liquids and soft foods. Lost three pounds in a week and a half after going back to eating real food. I really can't explain that, except with what we used to "starvation mode" back in the 80's, which even mentioning here will get me screamed at because it's a myth and doesn't exist. Maybe someone else has a better explanation.
  • snickerscharlie
    Heh- I'm sure not everyone's experience will echo mine, but I just had oral surgery and pretty much lived on Ensure and V8 for two weeks. I also found Greek yogurt and ice cream invaluable. My weight also plateaued for about three weeks- while on around 990 calories of liquids and soft foods. Lost three pounds in a week and a half after going back to eating real food. I really can't explain that, except with what we used to "starvation mode" back in the 80's, which even mentioning here will get me screamed at because it's a myth and doesn't exist. Maybe someone else has a better explanation.

Weight loss isn't linear. :)

Also, you may have had an excess of sodium from the V-8 which may have caused temporary water weight gain.

And did I mention that weight loss isn't linear? ;)

I kicked Aunt Flo to the curb years ago, but for women who menstruate, temporary weight gain is a monthly delight. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member

Based on my experience with gallbladder surgery during weight loss, I think that this sort of thing may make your body hold on to water weight to use in the healing process (much like it holds water weight for muscle repair if you amp up your workouts a lot).

After the surgery, my weight went up a bit initially, held there (or close) for a period of days, then there was a big drop over a few days that put me at the weight I would've predicted for my calorie deficit for that whole period.

OP: I'd suggest considering increasing your calorie level to or close to maintenance (a level where you neither gain nor lose) for a few days after the wisdom tooth removal, based on my experience. While this isn't essential for a relatively minor procedure, in hindsight I think I would've recovered faster, gotten back to my regular energy level sooner, and generally facilitated both healing and weight loss if I'd done this, so I now recommend others consider doing so in similar circumstances.
  • CureLunainTraining
    CureLunainTraining Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everyone! Smoothies, Greek yogurt, and V8 sound great. I wonder if I'll be able to chew tofu? Since it's soft?

I will admit that I'll also be eating more ice cream than I should.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I didn't use it as an excuse to eat more ice cream, personally.

Lots of eggs, ground meat, chicken sausage, mashed potatoes and carrots, butternut squash, soup, refried beans, protein pancakes and protein cheesecake, Greek yogurt, soft cheese. Took me 2 weeks before I was able to even have some broccoli :(
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Scrambled eggs and tofu are definitely on the menu, depending on how sore your mouth is.

And yes, I'm well aware that weight loss isn't linear. And yes, I'm well aware of how my body reacts to hormone levels, water retention, etc. I CAN see the argument for the body holding onto water weight to help with healing, much like it does for building muscle- anytime you're trying to build tissue of any kind, your body needs more resources.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Thanks everyone! Smoothies, Greek yogurt, and V8 sound great. I wonder if I'll be able to chew tofu? Since it's soft?

I will admit that I'll also be eating more ice cream than I should.

Yes tofu is a great protein source but just make sure you buy the soft or extra soft/silk one. Some hard/firm tofu could be hard to smash by just tongue & might need some chewing...

I'm not sure how many teeth you're about to remove (I got mine extracted one by one... now all 4 are gone). Since this is considered a surgery, you might not get back for vigorous exercise soon while healing/ recovery. I'd just focus on diet & make sure your nutrients meet the recommended levels. :smile:
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    I lost a ton (but I had all 4 taken out at once due to an infection so I was on a lot of meds). Just totally killed me appetite - I think all I are was some mashed potato and yogurt (don't like ice cream).
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    idk but I ate ramen noodles after mine and nobody told me that food gets stuck in your holes so that food was stuck in there while I was on vacation even though I rinsed and followed all the directions. and it stuuunk so bad omg
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    I had mine take. Out in late january. I ate lots of soups and yogurt. Mine healed pretty quick so after a week I was eating pretty normal.
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    I ate a whole bunch of soup when I got mine removed. The pain killers made me sick tho, so I was throwing up ontop of barely eating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I have a smoothie for breakfast every day. It used to be PB and banana, but now it's fruit and veggies. I add about 1.5 cups of tea for the liquid and a pinch of salt:

rm7am4gdlwpq.png

When my brother had jaw surgery and couldn't eat solid food for months, my mother made lots of stews and pureed them in the blender.