Did you swim today?

Replies

• 4gotNcharlie
    4gotNcharlie Posts: 43 Member
    Swimming use to be my favorite exercise and did it 3 to 4 x week at the YMCA. I know, I should join again. Part of it is that putting on a swimsuit would be such an embarrassment. I joined this group for the encouragement to do what is best for me and stop worrying about what others think.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    dharma135 wrote: »
    Swimming use to be my favorite exercise and did it 3 to 4 x week at the YMCA. I know, I should join again. Part of it is that putting on a swimsuit would be such an embarrassment. I joined this group for the encouragement to do what is best for me and stop worrying about what others think.

I always wanted to learn to swim, and it was the swimsuit thing that was stopping me, too. One day I got sick of letting it stop me, bought a swimsuit and got started. I'm SOOO GLAD I did. You know the saying that courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway? It was like that. No I don't want to be in public in a swimsuit, and I do it anyway...except, the pool's not "public". EVERYONE is in a swimsuit, and vulnerable, and far and away most of the bodies aren't perfect.

I vote, go for it! You'll be glad you did. :)
  • 4gotNcharlie
    4gotNcharlie Posts: 43 Member
    I know you are both right. I will buy a swimsuit and join the Y in my neighborhood. I know it will help me lose and get me on track. And, most important it is something i've always loved.
  • MightyLolo

They'll think you're awesome because Swimmers Are Better People and everyone knows that. :)

Seriously, I have not met a more welcoming, friendly bunch, than the folks at my local pool. :)
    dharma135 wrote: »
    I know you are both right. I will buy a swimsuit and join the Y in my neighborhood. I know it will help me lose and get me on track. And, most important it is something i've always loved.

YESS and it will increase your happiness. :smile: Hooray!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    6.3 miles (10.2 km) in 3.5 hours. That was hard, especially at the end!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    2550 yards, 57 minutes. Had to split a lane much of that time, which is a big distraction for me.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2016
    Been away for a couple of weeks I see but still been swimming albeit sporadically, due to work and other commitments.
    The past two weeks, I've only managed to get in about 2 swims per week!
    Swim this past Thursday was a killer. Just over 2 km of various intervals all in butterfly! EPIC! And that's with me coming from not having been swimming as consistently!
    I thought I was in relatively ok shape, but 2 km of just butterfly put me firmly in my place! Firmly!
    I actually had some pain towards the end of the session, and had to ease off!
    It was a tough session. Was training with some very young school kids and one of them broke down in tears at some point. It was tough!
    I use to incorporate butterfly sets into my regular long swims but since I concentrated on freestyle only for about a year, my butterfly muscles are gone, and it's going to be a long hard slog getting them back where they should be.
    Neither are my breastroke muscles apparently. Tuesday earlier in the week was an all breastroke day, and it was difficult too!
    Oh well! I'm always up for a new challenge revisiting and revitalizing what was working and had been left to languish neglected!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2016
    Great to see all the great swims on here. Noel dropping 4 minutes overnight, Gutzy finding a pool, Robertus doing a 10km, Juliet with the upped intensity, and all the other great stuff going on! Missed a lot I see!
    Sorry about losing the coach Emma! What'll you guys do?
  • MightyLolo
    In class today I got to show off all my kicking progress. I really surged ahead this week, pun notwithstanding. I still have an awful lot of work to do, but at least I'm improving. :)
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Swim this past Thursday was a killer. Just over 2 km of various intervals all in butterfly! EPIC! And that's with me coming from not having been swimming as consistently!
    I thought I was in relatively ok shape, but 2 km of just butterfly put me firmly in my place! Firmly!
    I actually had some pain towards the end of the session, and had to ease off!
    It was a tough session. Was training with some very young school kids and one of them broke down in tears at some point. It was tough!

Legend!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    2000y 54:28
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    6km today. A little shorter than yesterday. Did a lot of shoulders, chest and back in the weight room yesterday. The swim today definitely helped loosen up again.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    6km today. A little shorter than yesterday. Did a lot of shoulders, chest and back in the weight room yesterday. The swim today definitely helped loosen up again.

Gutzy, it sounds like you have a great program going with weights and swims. I'm not sure how you fit it all in, but I look forward to the day when I can make that work. I'm sure one compliments the other and vice versa.

Great swims, people! Holy smokes, there are a lot of dedicated and consistent people here. This is why I come back. It's really motivating!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    1.5 miles/ 2700 72 minutes
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »

I like the sound of that. Did my first weight room session in more than 35 years yesterday and looking forward to getting in the pool tonight!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Did my 1k ' fit at fifty ' routine ... Yee hah. Think it's the first time this year, anyway first for a while as I have to be feeling perky to even think about it - Lots of sprints,butterfly etc.

Pleased I did it, even if my tummy muscles are now winge- ing.

I also did a PB for 50 m of 56 secs. Ok, ok I knkw that is cool down speed for many if you... But hey. I was quite amused that one lady pointed out to me that the fast lane was free - but I guess that was before she worked out the speed of my back and breast strokes.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Had an annoying swim with two big guys who were continually trying to race me in an extremely busy pool. They'd wait till I got to the wall and then push off the moment I did. Ugh. I'd pass while deliberately slowing my stroke. Repeat x10.

I'm trying to make sure I finish the pull through for freestyle as I increase my turnover rate. Hence all the thumb to thigh drills.

400 warm
    200 kick free
    200 Pull free (thumb to thigh)
    200 swim free hard
    400 IM order kick
    2x100 BR on 1 min
    2x200 PU FR (thumb to thigh)
    200 BR
    5x100 on 2min:
    -100 FR
    -75 FR 25 BA
    -50 FR 50 BA
    -25 FR 75 BA
    -100 BA
    200 KI FR
    6x75 PU/KI/SW FR
    Total 3,350m
  • MightyLolo
    edited May 2016
    I want to say I swam today, but I suppose "jumped around in the pool, twirling and playing...and did some kicking drills" is more accurate. :blush:
    Then I did back and legs in the weight room. It was a grand day. :smile:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    2550m

250 warm up

4× (50 kick 50 drill 50 swim)

3× (100 free hard 100 br steady 50 free hard 50 free steady) 10s rest between each part 60s between sets

2× 100 br
    2× 100 back

4× 100 IM