What is your take on ACV-Apple Cider Vinegar?

I've heard so many wives-tales about how ACV is suppose to aid with your weight loss. I get the idea that if you are ill and need to re-establish your normal PH functions then you would use this but I don't see the benefit of weight loss. I've used it before didn't notice anything, other than indigestion.

What do you think; is ACV a proven aspect of helping weight loss or is it just a gimmick?

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I like it in salad dressing. My personal belief is that it doesn't do squat to help weight loss.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Took a while to figure out what ACV is. I keep apple cider vinegar on hand along with distilled white vinegar, red and white wine vinegars and balsamic vinegar. They all have their uses and none of them are magic potions. They add a ton of flavor with very few calories.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    I will add another vote for a great dressing component!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    It's good as a salad dressing, but even better in BBQ pulled pork.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    It can be beneficial with some digestive issues but it has no bearing on weight loss.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Tastes and smells awful!

Unfiltered works greats on warts to get rid of them.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    currently using it to hopefully cure a toenail fungus i got from a pedicure. stupid unclean nail salon UGHHH
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Your body regulates your PH level very well. There is only a miniscule range and if you are out of it you are pretty much dead. Food doesn't alter your PH level.

This.

What I believe it steams from, the idea of alkaline diet, is that they found sick people have an acidic ph level. What the proponents want to believe is that the diet caused the illness, not the illness causing the ph to be out.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I actually use it as a skin toner and I love it. But for weight loss, it's useless.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    fishshark wrote: »
    currently using it to hopefully cure a toenail fungus i got from a pedicure. stupid unclean nail salon UGHHH
    Sorry to say that unless you have a very mild case, this probably won't work. I've tried it, plus a lot the other folk-type remedies (Listerine, tea tree oil, etc) and it made no difference to my manky toenails. I'm probably going to get them lasered, and even then there's no guarantee it will work. The fungus is incredibly stubborn.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I use it to wash my hair instead of shampoo. It's been over 15 years.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Its my fav vinegar...tasty and so useful for other things!

Doesnt aid weight loss.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    Sorry to say that unless you have a very mild case, this probably won't work. I've tried it, plus a lot the other folk-type remedies (Listerine, tea tree oil, etc) and it made no difference to my manky toenails. I'm probably going to get them lasered, and even then there's no guarantee it will work. The fungus is incredibly stubborn.

so far have tried the tea tree ugh. Been getting pedicures/nails done for 16 years and I've never gotten ANYTHING. going to see a dermatologist to see if he can help.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    OMG!! ACV is great to pickle the cabbage for the "curtido" I make as a side to eat with the pupusas I make. Since everything together ends up tasting oh-so-delicious, I eat a lot, therefore it doesn't help with weight loss. :( It also ends up giving me heartburn because of how sour it is, but that's a side effect I'm willing to live with after the fact, cuz delicious!! :yum:
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I actually use it as a skin toner and I love it. But for weight loss, it's useless.

Me too!! I wash my face with honey and use apple cider vinegar as a toner. Love it
  • nanacantgo
    nanacantgo Posts: 2 Member
    I have been taking the kind with " the mother " It has cleaned me out lol. Has also leveled my blood pressure.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited May 2016
    I think most of the benefits of ACV come from replacing unhealthy salad dressing.

I doubt it does much otherwise for weight loss. However, ACV is a miracle cure for all sorts of other stuff. Its great for clearing up acne, soaking your feet and removing skin tags/moles. It also seems to help me a bit if I have an upset stomach. My fiance uses it when he has an infected toenail. It goes away in just a couple days.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited May 2016
    The weightloss aspect that people espouse from ACV probably stems from one study done with vinegar.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19661687

So in regards to weightloss, one study (that has yet to be replicated as far as I can tell), does not influence me to supplement or increase normal consumption (dressings, marinades, etc...).

Examine.com has some tidbits of information on vinegar with linked studies if interested as there are studied effects on glucose which may aid in diabetics.
    http://examine.com/faq/does-vinegar-increase-metabolism/