Vitamins don't show?

When I type in my orange juice and certain other items on this app, they never show the vitamins which throws me off? How can fitness pal sort this? How do I message them? X

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    They only count certain vitamins and if the person that uploaded the information didn't add it then it won't be there.
    OR
    you go into the food tab and then the settings tab and change what you are tracking
    OR
    go into the community tab, go the the bottom and click on MFP Suggestions/Feedback and leave a message there
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I get all my nutritional info from here

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/7348/2

then add the information into my diary myself under My Foods.
    I even enter info from packaging myself as it can get changed & wrong info entered on MFP database. People put in wrong sodium frequently.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the micronutrients.
  • fr33sia12
    I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the micronutrients.

Unless you want to or need to. Like tracking potassium to keep blood pressure down, iron for anaemia etc. I like to track these to make sure I'm getting the right nutrients, not just to lose weight. I'm guessing OP is too, as she is questioning tracking vitamins.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    I noticed this when I ate a lot of yogurt in a day and saw my calcium was low. I think it's down to people scanning the barcodes on the food, but the food won't always list the micro nutrients. As long as you educate yourself on what foods contain what nutrients, and make sensible choices based on that information you should be fine.
  • hassankarimi82
    Unless you want to or need to. Like tracking potassium to keep blood pressure down, iron for anaemia etc. I like to track these to make sure I'm getting the right nutrients, not just to lose weight. I'm guessing OP is too, as she is questioning tracking vitamins. [/quote]

But that's like saying, 'I want to track my stress levels to keep my blood pressure down'. You can't get carried away in the numbers of macronutrients let alone the micro. Just don't eat more than one banana, and I guarantee it won't be the result of high blood pressure. Conditions like anaemia and blood pressure are diet related anyway!
  • fr33sia12
    edited May 2016
    Unless you want to or need to. Like tracking potassium to keep blood pressure down, iron for anaemia etc. I like to track these to make sure I'm getting the right nutrients, not just to lose weight. I'm guessing OP is too, as she is questioning tracking vitamins.
    But that's like saying, 'I want to track my stress levels to keep my blood pressure down'. You can't get carried away in the numbers of macronutrients let alone the micro. Just don't eat more than one banana, and I guarantee it won't be the result of high blood pressure. Conditions like anaemia and blood pressure are diet related anyway!

Firstly I have slight anaemia due to fibroids which is nothing to do with diet so I track iron as I'd rather get it from food than tablets. Potassium was just an example as it isn't on most food labels too.
    Secondly my whole point is that you said "I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the micronutrients" as if it doesn't matter, well obviously it does to the OP or she wouldn't have been asking in the first place. Some people on here aren't just trying to lose weight, but want to get their nutrients from food and know they're getting enough.
  • hassankarimi82
    Firstly I have slight anaemia due to fibroids which is nothing to do with diet so I track iron as I'd rather get it from food than tablets. Potassium was just an example as it isn't on most food labels too.
    Secondly my whole point is that you said "I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the micronutrients" as if it doesn't matter, well obviously it does to the OP or she wouldn't have been asking in the first place. Some people on here aren't just trying to lose weight, but want to get their nutrients from food and know they're getting enough.[/quote]

Then I apologise.
  • jameskrysa
    jameskrysa Posts: 2 Member
    Does anyone know who uploads all the information then?

marm1962 wrote: »
    They only count certain vitamins and if the person that uploaded the information didn't add it then it won't be there.
    OR
    you go into the food tab and then the settings tab and change what you are tracking
    OR
    go into the community tab, go the the bottom and click on MFP Suggestions/Feedback and leave a message there

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    jameskrysa wrote: »

OR
    OR

Food nutrition data is (mostly) entered by members of the site. So don't trust them till you personally verify them.

There are admin-entered ones, but they are difficult to find - and it's only on whole foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    jameskrysa wrote: »

OR
    OR

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries with sufficient upvotes and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database (no upvotes needed). To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA recently changed the platform for their database and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but SR Legacy - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Secondly my whole point is that you said "I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the micronutrients" as if it doesn't matter, well obviously it does to the OP or she wouldn't have been asking in the first place. Some people on here aren't just trying to lose weight, but want to get their nutrients from food and know they're getting enough.

I have major anemia due to fibroids which I am unable to control with food alone :(

I wanted to point out that if you are counting foods fortified with iron, which is common in cereals and breads, you might as well just take a supplement ;)

I take iron bisglycinate, which does not have the side effects people complain about with supplements that use other forms of iron. When I buy from Amazon I get Solgar and when I buy from Emerson I get Thorne. (Using the Amazon link as I doubt many people have access to Emerson.)

For lunch during my period I eat Wellshire Liverwurst; 2 oz = 35% RDA iron. If I can't make it to Whole Foods I get Boar's Head Liverwurst, 2 oz = 25% RDA iron. (For people who want more iron but don't like liver - neither do I; can't stand the stuff, but I do like liverwurst. Wellshire also makes turkey liverwurst. Less iron, but also less fat and calories. Last I checked this brand was exclusive to Whole Foods.)

I also mix 1 T of blackstrap molasses into a cup of warm water every morning. That gives me 20% RDA. Here's what I order https://smile.amazon.com/Wholesome-Sweeteners-Organic-Molasses-Pack/dp/B001M0G2PO/ but caution - this brand can leak, so best to not get anything else with that order. It was the cheapest, so I continued to put up with it.

Vitamin C helps with iron absorption and I mix powdered, buffered vitamin C into the molasses "tea" to create a dreadful concoction :lol:https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4AIUA/
  • julebrus2020
    julebrus2020 Posts: 26 Member
    If you're tracking micronutrients, then this isn't the app for you. Go for Chronometer instead. https://cronometer.com