Did you swim today?

Replies

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    SwimmyD wrote: »
    Had an annoying swim with two big guys who were continually trying to race me in an extremely busy pool. They'd wait till I got to the wall and then push off the moment I did. Ugh. I'd pass while deliberately slowing my stroke. Repeat x10.

I'm trying to make sure I finish the pull through for freestyle as I increase my turnover rate. Hence all the thumb to thigh drills.

400 warm
    200 kick free
    200 Pull free (thumb to thigh)
    200 swim free hard
    400 IM order kick
    2x100 BR on 1 min
    2x200 PU FR (thumb to thigh)
    200 BR
    5x100 on 2min:
    -100 FR
    -75 FR 25 BA
    -50 FR 50 BA
    -25 FR 75 BA
    -100 BA
    200 KI FR
    6x75 PU/KI/SW FR
    Total 3,350m

Very nice swim, there. I too have a guy that likes to "race" at lap swim. A year ago I couldn't do anything about it but now it's a different story. Fun to let him start catching up and then pull away.

• nuffer
    Pool was coming back to temp after a boiler failure last night. Got in, gasped for breath and then ripped off personal records for 50, 200, 400, and 800 yards. 2650 yards total in 59 minutes swim time -- kind of overdid it in the first half of the hour. Even at my fastest pace, the young (pre-teen and teen) kids working out next to me blaze by SO quickly I am amazed to be in the same pool with them. I find it quite entertaining to watch. Then they're out of the pool for my last fifteen minutes. Maybe that's why I'm going slower, with nobody to swim next to...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    6km today. A little shorter than yesterday. Did a lot of shoulders, chest and back in the weight room yesterday. The swim today definitely helped loosen up again.

Gutzy, it sounds like you have a great program going with weights and swims. I'm not sure how you fit it all in, but I look forward to the day when I can make that work. I'm sure one compliments the other and vice versa.

Great swims, people! Holy smokes, there are a lot of dedicated and consistent people here. This is why I come back. It's really motivating!

Since I am alone here in China, it is no big deal to spend 4 hours at the gym on a Sunday. Two trips.
    Here, I have to swim after work so I don't get back to the apartment to cook dinner until about 9PM. So weights only on the weekends.
    At home, I swim at 5AM before work. Then a couple days a week I try to hit the weight room on the way home for an hour. Weight lifting goals are in part building more strength so I can pull faster through the water. I'm not trying to bulk up. Just strength and tone.
    Tonight will be a 7km swim. But I don't log that until I have finished it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    2000y 54:24
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I swam today! 100 warm up, 25x2, 50, 100, 200, 100, 50 25x2. 20 minutes even, didn't have time for more this morning even though I would have loved to keep going.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @MonkeyMel21 Nice Set. 700 in 20 mins. We have people in our Triathlon club who can't match that.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    nuffer wrote: »

Very nice swim, there. I too have a guy that likes to "race" at lap swim. A year ago I couldn't do anything about it but now it's a different story. Fun to let him start catching up and then pull away.

Good for you nuffer!!
    Pool was coming back to temp after a boiler failure last night. Got in, gasped for breath and then ripped off personal records for 50, 200, 400, and 800 yards. 2650 yards total in 59 minutes swim time -- kind of overdid it in the first half of the hour. Even at my fastest pace, the young (pre-teen and teen) kids working out next to me blaze by SO quickly I am amazed to be in the same pool with them. I find it quite entertaining to watch. Then they're out of the pool for my last fifteen minutes. Maybe that's why I'm going slower, with nobody to swim next to...

It's so humbling isn't it? But congrats on all the PB's! How were your calf muscles behaving after all that?
  • MonkeyMel21
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @MonkeyMel21 Nice Set. 700 in 20 mins. We have people in our Triathlon club who can't match that.

I didn't even do the math but that makes me feel pretty good, lol! Thank you!
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Fifth day in a row of kicking my lil heart out. If I don't get good, we can't blame laziness :wink:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    7km last night. Some people actually moved out of the "fast" lane after I started swimming. So I had the lane to myself for most of the 2h15m I was in the lane.
    One guy that spoke some English asked me how he could swim as well as I do. This was after I was done. I suggested he take lessons. But he said they are very expensive. When he told me, I agreed. Even by US standards it is pricey. Over $160 a month for one lesson a week. 1000 to 2000 RMB. That is a huge mount for typical Chinese, even those than can afford the 600RMB a month for the gym.
    So I suggested he find videos on line. Watch, then try to practice what he saw.
    It is still funny to me to hear anyone say I am a top swimmer. I'm not fast. Maybe average for my age. I just do slightly above average distance because I can't do impact aerobic exercise. Adapt or get fat. :D
  • nuffer
    edited May 2016

It's so humbling isn't it? But congrats on all the PB's! How were your calf muscles behaving after all that?

Short answer: still getting cramps at the 2500 yard mark (+ or - 200 yards). Possible solution ahead.

Longer answer: I have not mentioned it in this group, so I will now. I went to a sports doc last week after having months of pain in my Achilles down near my heel. Over the last winter and early spring, I ramped up my brisk 4-5 mile walks to a slow jog 2-3 times a week, with a weekly brisk walk home from work of about 9.5 miles. A couple of months ago I noticed a tightness in my calf muscle that flared into full blown tendinitis in no time. Thought I could work through it, discovered I was wrong.

Sports doc noticed that one of my calves is less developed than the other -- that'd be the painful side. And then x-ray reveals significant bone spurs on the heel and calcium deposits in the tendon. Not only the cause of the pain from walking (esp. hills) but likely the culprit in leg cramps. Probably both sides, but so far only x-rays on the painful side. Doc says drop the potassium and magnesium supplements as they won't help with cramps and the magnesium is probably making the tendinitis worse.

So -- no more running or walking for me for a while -- maybe ever. This hit me a lot harder than I would have imagined.

Physical therapy is next up, maybe some custom orthotics. Surgery is last choice but I'm not ruling it out because I went through some of this nearly 20 years ago and not moving was one of the things that contributed to my increasing weight gain.

Joined a gym last week to have access to elliptical machines. Not sure I'm a fan, but bonus is finding a good friend who's into using weights so I'm starting that (first time since high school). Elliptical is NOT a substitute for the pool.

Ok, shutting up now. I'm not getting paid by the word.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member

Short answer: still getting cramps at the 2500 yard mark (+ or - 200 yards). Possible solution ahead.

Longer answer: I have not mentioned it in this group, so I will now. I went to a sports doc last week after having months of pain in my Achilles down near my heel. Over the last winter and early spring, I ramped up my brisk 4-5 mile walks to a slow jog 2-3 times a week, with a weekly brisk walk home from work of about 9.5 miles. A couple of months ago I noticed a tightness in my calf muscle that flared into full blown tendinitis in no time. Thought I could work through it, discovered I was wrong.

Sports doc noticed that one of my calves is less developed than the other -- that'd be the painful side. And then x-ray reveals significant bone spurs on the heel and calcium deposits in the tendon. Not only the cause of the pain from walking (esp. hills) but likely the culprit in leg cramps. Probably both sides, but so far only x-rays on the painful side. Doc says drop the potassium and magnesium supplements as they won't help with cramps and the magnesium is probably making the tendinitis worse.

So -- no more running or walking for me for a while -- maybe ever. This hit me a lot harder than I would have imagined.

Physical therapy is next up, maybe some custom orthotics. Surgery is last choice but I'm not ruling it out because I went through some of this nearly 20 years ago and not moving was one of the things that contributed to my increasing weight gain.

Joined a gym last week to have access to elliptical machines. Not sure I'm a fan, but bonus is finding a good friend who's into using weights so I'm starting that (first time since high school). Elliptical is NOT a substitute for the pool.

That's rough. A long-misdiagnosed running injury of mine eventually required major reconstructive foot/ankle surgery that limits my range of motion and prevents me from running. That was the last step in my weight gain path as well. I used to love long-distance running. I know how you feel. Great idea to lift with your friend. Keep it up. You will find a way to keep building fitness. The spirit is stronger than mere muscle.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Today was my strength training day but I only had 20 minutes in the pool yesterday and I wanted more!!! SO I did 100 warm up, 25x2, 50, 100, 200, 100, 50, 25x2, 100 with the kick board (that got old fast), then 200 cool down. 30 minutes.

Soo.....if I use the kick board should I be focusing on some specific things?
  • SwimmyD

Really sorry to hear that nuffer. I'm glad you are going to go for some physiotherapy though. Perhaps with orthotics and the right stretching and strengthening etc you will be able to return to brisk walking. Running is very hard on the body.

When you try the elliptical at the gym, watch that you pick one that doesn't put your foot at a backwards slant. Many of them have a foot plate that is angled backwards (tilted up) and will put your Achilles on a stretch. If you don't have a choice, then let your heel rest on the lip at the back of the plate. This will allow your foot to be in a more neutral position.

Perhaps you will have some fun with weight training too? Good luck!
  • SwimmyD
    Today was my strength training day but I only had 20 minutes in the pool yesterday and I wanted more!!! SO I did 100 warm up, 25x2, 50, 100, 200, 100, 50, 25x2, 100 with the kick board (that got old fast), then 200 cool down. 30 minutes.

Kick boards are okay for a killer "pure hard work" - and are useful for developing whip kick too. But when kicking freestyle - board kicking is different than actually freestyle kicking as you're not rotating your body and your chest is higher in the water. So it depends what you are trying to work on - technique or aerobic capacity.

I personally prefer to work my freestyle kick by using no board and leading straight out with one arm. After about 4 to 6 seconds of kicking I switch arms to breathe. Can you bilaterally breathe? If not this drill will also help with that. It's harder than pure board kicking because less air, however will develop your kicking to be more efficient for the actual freestyle stroke. Also try kicking on your back with no board to work your abs and hip extensor strength. Backstroke kicking and freestyle kicking are complimentary to each other.

The main thing is to focus on (for freestyle and back stroke kick) is that it is originating from your hips, not your knees. When you're on your back your knees should not really be breaking water so much as your feet do. You don't want to "bicycle" the water either. Have fun!
  • MonkeyMel21

Kick boards are okay for a killer "pure hard work" - and are useful for developing whip kick too. But when kicking freestyle - board kicking is different than actually freestyle kicking as you're not rotating your body and your chest is higher in the water. So it depends what you are trying to work on - technique or aerobic capacity.

I personally prefer to work my freestyle kick by using no board and leading straight out with one arm. After about 4 to 6 seconds of kicking I switch arms to breathe. Can you bilaterally breathe? If not this drill will also help with that. It's harder than pure board kicking because less air, however will develop your kicking to be more efficient for the actual freestyle stroke. Also try kicking on your back with no board to work your abs and hip extensor strength. Backstroke kicking and freestyle kicking are complimentary to each other.

The main thing is to focus on (for freestyle and back stroke kick) is that it is originating from your hips, not your knees. When you're on your back your knees should not really be breaking water so much as your feet do. You don't want to "bicycle" the water either. Have fun!

This is great feedback, thank you so much. I do bilaterally breathe during freestyle but I can always get more comfortable with it. Is "whip kick" the butterfly kick? I never do butterfly, just because it's harder. Do any of you all do it?!
  • SwimmyD
    Whip kick is the breast stroke kick. I am not very proficient at dolphin kick (butterfly kick). If I do dolphin kick I combine it with a breast stroke pull because it hurts my back to use a board.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member

I personally prefer to work my freestyle kick by using no board and leading straight out with one arm. After about 4 to 6 seconds of kicking I switch arms to breathe.

This is great feedback, thank you so much. I do bilaterally breathe during freestyle but I can always get more comfortable with it. Is "whip kick" the butterfly kick? I never do butterfly, just because it's harder. Do any of you all do it?!

HUGE caveat: I'm just a beginner, but I have also been getting some big improvements in my freestyle ("flutter") kick by kicking with no board, head in line, and breathing (bilaterally) when I have to. I have not enjoyed kickboards for the very reason that they don't feel the same as swimming.

"whip kick" is the breast stroke kick. That one's actually hardest, for me. :smile: and yes, I do butterfly. That's the easiest kick for me, although I'm still working on the arms...I practice that kick with my arms streamlined, or even at my sides, kick (undulate, really) about eight times, roll for air, roll back, and repeat....but I made that up. :wink: I bet one of these pros can recommend something better. :smile:

Keep on swimming!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member

I'm gonna try this to help me learn bilateral breathing. Any other tips to help with learning bilateral breathing? Thanks!