Reverse Diabetes?

Replies

• mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    At first I hated metformin..... terrible stomach cramps/pain.... my doctor (very nicely) told me to tuff it out.... and after 2 weeks side effects went away. I do think it's an amazing medication if you can tolerate it and much less likely to cause hypoglycemia. There are also some suggested anti-cancer benefits of metformin as it effects the growth rate of cells. But I'd rather not be on any medication if I can!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Because of the damage to my pancreas resulting in chronic pancreatitis, I don't think I will ever be non-diabetic again. I still get po'd at the doctor who screwed up the original surgery and left me with less pancreas and type 2, but hey, life goes on.

Oh, that is beyond frustrating! This makes me heated!!!!

My mom had a doctor that prescribed her 2 meds that shouldn't be taken together and put her in kidney failure (not sure what stage, it's stable at the moment without dialysis). The doctor actually "fired" her because she kept missing appointment due to feeling bad. The new doctor immediately changed her meds.

@judyvalentine512 I just want you to know that I think of you often and I'm always pulling for you!! *hugs* You always aim for a good attitude about the hand you were dealt and I'm awed by it. Take care.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Thanks shiny crazy. All I can do is carry on, know that a higher power is taking care of me, and doesn't give me more than I can handle.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Congratulations Marshall 74!!! Well done!!!
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    Congratulations Marshall 74!!! Well done!!!

:smile: Thank u!
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    I was diagnosed t2 diabetic in Feb 2015.... since March 2016, I've been off all diabetes medications as my A1C went from 10.3 to 4.8 with diet and exercise. When I eat carbs now my body does not respond the same way... I get normal blood sugar rise in response to the carbs and it comes back down in a normal time period. No one would be able to tell I'm diabetic without looking at my history. If I went back to eating like crap and put on weight I'm sure the diabetes would return, but I consider myself reversed t2 diabetic. I understand everyone's progression with diabetes is different and everyone's pancreas function is different, so I'm not sure everyone with t2 can reverse their condition, but I believe I did. I am even wondering if I was not truly diabetic and just insulin resistant due to my poor diet and being significantly obese. Also, I do eat less carbs than before (I ate tons and tons before), but I don't eat low carbs. I try to stay under 220g per day, sometimes a little over but my blood sugars still remain better than those without diabetes. I have lost ~90lbs to date with more plans to lose more.

This is fantastic. I would like to do the same!

• MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    just removed from metformin . i was told i was diabetic and put on it 2 years ago feb. since than 1 have lost roughly 75 pounds and have been non level for more than a year . started at 3 pills per day . so yes it is helped by weight loss and diet . my father did the same thing

That's great - you got to it earlly. You can count yourself among the very few who replace Metformin with nothing instead of something else!

Just out of curiosity, have you been testing your blood glucose since you and Metformin broke up?

5.8 this morning
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2016
    I absolutely envy you for dumping Metformin. YMMV - if it were me (an old T2D bird who came late to the LCHF dance) with 5.8/104 BG after fasting (for at least 8 hours?), I might still take a Metformin before bed and, either way, watch post-meal BG and A1c like a hungry hawk!
  • amclean1
    amclean1 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi I have been deep into the LCHF literature and now the Newcastle University study regarding the amazing results they had reversing diabetes. I also note that the group were awarded a massive grant ever given to follow up with further research. It all seems sound as a pound,. What I can't seem to see is loads of prediabetic and diabetics type 2 taking the eight week 800 cal program and reporting on the success or otherwise. Is this because MFP is so rigid that it won't let us discuss promising new research. It is quite clear to me that the guidelines on nutrition that we have all followed for the last 4 decades has so spectacularly failed us that it is time to open up the discussion and recognise that old mantras of 1200 Cal's just don't add up.
  • RalfLott
    amclean1 wrote: »
    Hi I have been deep into the LCHF literature and now the Newcastle University study regarding the amazing results they had reversing diabetes. I also note that the group were awarded a massive grant ever given to follow up with further research. It all seems sound as a pound,. What I can't seem to see is loads of prediabetic and diabetics type 2 taking the eight week 800 cal program and reporting on the success or otherwise. Is this because MFP is so rigid that it won't let us discuss promising new research. It is quite clear to me that the guidelines on nutrition that we have all followed for the last 4 decades has so spectacularly failed us that it is time to open up the discussion and recognise that old mantras of 1200 Cal's just don't add up.

Sorry for the late reply - there's been some discussion lately of the Blood Sugar Solution and other very low calorie diet plans to combat Type 2 Diabetes. Despite clear evidence that the Newcastle approach is a serious, science-based approach to T2D, it does appear that, yes, the MFP goalie considers it to be health-endangering and unproven and has, therefore, closed at least some discussions on the topic.
  • JaneKnoll1
    edited September 2016
    My blood sugar was 4.4 (79.4) this morning and the doctor took me off Metformin in April so no diabetic meds. My A1C was 5.9 in Late July but I hadn't had a stick of exercise in 7 weeks due to a rotator cuff injury...I expect it to be lower in October or I will step up exercise and lower my carbs a little to see if I can get a better result. I want to be mid 5's for A1C. I eat about 1900-2000 maintenance calories and eat all food groups and try to keep my carbs 40-50g per meal but usually 40-45 as an average and lost 75 lbs. remaining at goal and have a 5lb window. I think that my A1C will come down. I think regular consistent exercise is what keeps me well and I can eat well in all food groups. The one thing I do is eat at least 7 servings of veggies (low carby types mostly) every single day. Fiber is about 45g daily. I eat 3-4 servings of fruit daily too but I pick lower glycemic index fruits. Hope this gives insight into what is possible. I was diagnosed April 2015 and I thought my life was finished. Turns out I now can do everything and more that I never dreamed I could and in pretty good shape. I weigh 136.2lbs and 5'4" and 62 years young. Lol!!! I know it's different for everyone but keep fighting and trying!!! Lots of different approaches to managing T2D. Exercise is a biggie I think!! I think it's bigger than what we imagine. Just my opinion. Have a great day!!!
  • RalfLott
    I doubt T2 is curable or reversible, but what do I know. I know my numbers have been in the normal range for quite a while, but it wouldn't take long of eating the wrong things for it to shoot up. Diet and exercise control it, but I'd have to see a lot of research before I'd consider the possibility of a complete reversal for those going back to old habits.

My doc is realistic and says those of us who are T2 are in control and if we are tested while in control, we would be told our blood sugar is normal. In reality, it isn't. At any given period in our lives, even things outwith our control, could make our T2 rear its ugly head. Such as care homes, hospital etc etc. If we're not in control and nobody controls it for us, we're likely to go back very quickly I think. He likes to reserve most meds until later in life, when it might not be so easy for us to be in control.

Yep, I think you're right. Best that we endeavor to maintain control over our BG so that the question "what if....?" never arises.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    I used to think I reversed my diabetes when I lost 54lbs ate a low carb diet and exercised daily, my a1c at its lowest was 4.9. Fast forward I got pregnant gained an extra 30pounds ate more carbs....look who's back? T2 who actually never was reversed but Control is definitely possible. And you must try to control it.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    An article by Dr. Jason Fung talks about reversing T2 diabetes by getting rid of the visceral fat around the liver and pancreas. The thought is that the fat is clogging up the pancreas and once the fat is gone, the pancreas starts working properly again.

I do DexaScans and I lost 1.35lbs of visceral fat. I'm down to 4.47 lbs and I think I needs to be below 2 lbs to reach the level they suggest. I could be off by that. Could be 1.5 lbs, I'm trying to work from memory.

His site is: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

May be worth checking out.

My NP has me adding muscle so my calories and macros change each day. I gained 15 lbs back trying to get a handle on what my training days should really look like. Once I get back to the same weight as my last DexaScan I'll re-do it and see what's changed.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Outstanding!
  • GetBackSuzy
    GetBackSuzy Posts: 18 Member
    Jane, Congratulations! Your results are fantastic and you are an inspiration to us all. So pleased for you.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    That is incredible Jane!!! Very inspiring
  • JaneKnoll1
    Thank you all for your support!!!! One thing is that you have to always be "on" with diet and exercise. I do have indulgences but right back on healthy train the next meal. A drag but I want my health!!!!