Best Donuts

Replies

• Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    I'm so boring, I love me a solid glazed donut. It's relatively easy to fit in too if I plan for it!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Maple foot donut (foot because of shape)....I believe it has a more pleasant name in the Midwest but I loved getting one of these from a local grocer when I lived in the west. I have never found a decent maple donut in the south. Way too much sugar added to things here and masks any real flavors.

Now I stick to a simple fresh hot glazed donut. Yum! It's the only way I like Krispy Kreme. For other flavors there are better brands.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Krispy Kreme is inedible. Why anyone would eat those disgusting things is beyond me.

The best places are always the unassuming mom and pop shops in a strip mall. My fave donut is chocolate glaze with custard filling. Custard has to be cold. There was a place down the road from me in Burbank called Donut Prince, which is my all time fave donut shop. Too bad I've moved away... Haven't found a great new place in San Diego yet
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I know the donut craze has somewhat peaked, but I still like to get one as an occasional treat and I've met my other goals for the day. I haven't found a good place since my most recent move, but I'm now in Tim Horton's territory, and they're not bad.

I really miss Sublime Donuts down in Atlanta though. So. Good.

What's your favorite place? Old chain standbys like Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, or something local?

I didn't even know there was a donut craze. I missed it!

FWIW I spent 20 years as a baker for Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, and Amy Joy. I have eaten more donuts than anyone else likely to answer your query. I prefer Dunkin Donuts.

I was a lean mean fighting machine in those days, I didn't get fat till later.

Edit to add; I have probably eaten more donuts than everyone else responding added together!

Of you i am super Jealous! I wish i could eat as many donuts as you. They are my kryptonite.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Okay excluding some local bakeries we enjoy Big Daddy's Donuts here in Pittsburgh and a cute little shop with several locations Peace Love and Little Donuts. Mmmm so good.
    getxfpqewnzw.jpeg
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    @lemurcat12 oh my goodness... I hope you try them one day!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Krispy Kreme is inedible. Why anyone would eat those disgusting things is beyond me.

The best places are always the unassuming mom and pop shops in a strip mall. My fave donut is chocolate glaze with custard filling. Custard has to be cold. There was a place down the road from me in Burbank called Donut Prince, which is my all time fave donut shop. Too bad I've moved away... Haven't found a great new place in San Diego yet

You have clearly never had a hot one fresh off the line.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    scastor27 wrote: »
    Okay excluding some local bakeries we enjoy Big Daddy's Donuts here in Pittsburgh and a cute little shop with several locations Peace Love and Little Donuts. Mmmm so good.
    getxfpqewnzw.jpeg

"The choice of donuts left her dazed. Said Debbie Sue, 'But I want . . . glazed.'"
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Tim Hortons is absolute shite. Born and raised Canadian (i even worked at tim's as a teen). Don't waste your calories.

Our city has a wonderful little shop called Empire donuts. You can't pick up, they deliver even to your house and they have the most amazing donuts I have ever eaten.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    pbprincess wrote: »
    Tim Hortons is absolute shite. Born and raised Canadian (i even worked at tim's as a teen). Don't waste your calories.

Our city has a wonderful little shop called Empire donuts. You can't pick up, they deliver even to your house and they have the most amazing donuts I have ever eaten.

I totally agree. Tim's donuts are horrid
  • chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    In Oahu it was Regal Donuts...man they were great. Now, Army has sent us to Columbus, GA and my wife wont eat anything other than Krispy Kreme....I particularly don't like yeast donuts though.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    doughbardoughnuts.com has protein donuts for dieting and theyre yummy!!! Donuts are totally my fav guilty treat!
  • roadrunner676
    roadrunner676 Posts: 12 Member
    I'm in Northern Minnesota... in Bemidji, it's going to be Raphael's Bakery. The owners start making the goods at 3 in the morning, usually sell out early. Their danish are even better.
  • navychickpensfan
    navychickpensfan Posts: 25 Member
    Peace Love and Little Donuts in Pittsburgh! Can't beat the Reese Pieces or Chocolate Chip donuts! bngil4cfmt9o.jpeg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't believe anyone has mentioned apple cider donuts yet, which are amazing. (Even better than ACV, heh.)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Most of the Krispy Kremes have closed here, with good reason, as they are way over rated. Long lines when the first stores opened, now I don't know if there are any stores still open here.
    The very best donuts I have ever had are Old Fashioned donuts from the local bakery, just plain.
    I don't care for anything on them, plain is best. Crispy on the outside. Delicious.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I'm glad at least one person in here gets my reference. You want to be a hero? Buy a copy of that book, read it to your kid's class, and surprise them with donuts at the end.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I was going to say that this thread doesn't have enough pics, and then I realized that I misposted this morning. I meant I like sour cream donuts, not cream cheese. Clearly should step away from the keyboard before coffee...

4-doughnuts.jpg
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    I was going to say that this thread doesn't have enough pics, and then I realized that I misposted this morning. I meant I like sour cream donuts, not cream cheese. Clearly should step away from the keyboard before coffee...

You are right. We definitely need more pictures...

grid-cell-7777-1423180642-0.jpg