Share your Fave Diabetes Friendly Food/Products

shinycrazy
shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
There is a similar thread in the Food and Nutrition forum, but I thought it would be fun to focus on diabetes friendly items. I'm not going to be specific about what is or isn't "friendly", if it works for you and you love it, share! We all can do our own research to see if it fits our own needs!

Replies

• shinycrazy
    I'll go first! I'm in love with Dannon's Light & Fit Chocolate on Top yogurts! 100 calories and the cherry one has 11g of carbs and 11g of protein! What a treat. It's a bit messy and no one is going to mistake the topping for Hershey's syrup, but it's tasty for sure!

http://www.lightandfit.com/light-yogurt/light-and-fit-greek-chocolate/cherry

ehnqyhdy5hfi.png
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    So jealous of the products you get in the states, Shiny!! Looks so yummy.
    My favourite "treat" is https://www.kashi.ca/en/our-foods/snack-bars and the chocolate/coconut layered bars are delish!!! They don't taste fake..and you can chew them slowly lol to make them last!!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    7g sugar (from fructose, looks like) might be not be unfriendly to every T2D, but it would wake the BG monster in this bird!
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    I enjoy South Beach snack bars. 100 calories, nothing artificial, 6 gm protein, low carb. I like the whipped chocolate almond and the whipped peanut butter. Chewy and sweet.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Unsalted almonds and avocados have been a staple of my diet and neither affect my blood sugar. I eat 1ounce of almonds every single day..and avocados (usually 1/4) at a time. They are both very healthy fats.
  • squeekersmom
    squeekersmom Posts: 107 Member
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    Unsalted almonds and avocados have been a staple of my diet and neither affect my blood sugar. I eat 1ounce of almonds every single day..and avocados (usually 1/4) at a time. They are both very healthy fats.

Yup nodding my head,,,I do as well. I also use real cream in my coffee, finally able to do without the sugar this way. Occasionally I will have sugar free chocolates like Russel stover but there's nothing ' healthy' about them, they don't raise my bg , but I use them for a treat.
    Recently I've tried a tbsp of real cream cheese with a few fresh raspberries (5-6). Love the creamy tastiness.
    My dd made a low carb dessert for Mother's Day that was so good. It had cream cheese, whip cream, and sugar free lemon jello. So easy . Full fat everything of course.

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Deviled eggs are my fav go-to snack for no BG effect.
  • shinycrazy
    edited July 2016
    Old El Paso mini soft tortilla boats - - In love with these taco shell boats. 4 tortillas for 24g of carbohydrates! Something about that number is just mentally satisfying.
  • JaneKnoll1
    I know tons of people don't do dairy but Greek Yogurt is a fav of mine..so versatile and filling...I use only the plain kind and never sweetened. A year ago I endured it and now I choose it...you can do so much with it.

Shiny, we don't have half the products you can get in the USA..a trip to NY state which is 45 min away might be in order haha!!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    @JaneKnoll1 , a few years go, I quit using sour cream at all and started using plain Greek yogurt in its place. Great on a baked potato!
  • I'm go i g to have to try plain yogurt again for baked potato even though I don't eat p otatos that often
  • shinycrazy
    I'm go i g to have to try plain yogurt again for baked potato even though I don't eat p otatos that often

Yum! I love plain greek yogurt as a sub for sour cream. Add some chives to that potato and you'll be in business! Enjoy!
  • JaneKnoll1
    I found Solo energy bars at the health food store and they are super with low glycemic response..they have a whole think about stabilizing blood sugar on their website. I tried the chocolate mocha and it was divine. A great ratio of carbs/fat/fibre/protein!!!
  • RainaProske
    Tonight, for a snack, I had 1/2 c cottage cheese, a fruit cup with its juice, 1/3 c granola, and 2 TBS wheat germ. It was great, except I'd forgotten that wheat germ has a little bitter taste I don't like. Oh, well. I determined to enjoy it, so I did.
  • RainaProske
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I'll go first! I'm in love with Dannon's Light & Fit Chocolate on Top yogurts! 100 calories and the cherry one has 11g of carbs and 11g of protein! What a treat. It's a bit messy and no one is going to mistake the topping for Hershey's syrup, but it's tasty for sure!

http://www.lightandfit.com/light-yogurt/light-and-fit-greek-chocolate/cherry

ehnqyhdy5hfi.png

Tried this. I didn't like it. Good thing I bought 2, however -- I liked it VERY much the next time! Thank you, Shiny!
  • missdonielle
    missdonielle Posts: 15 Member
    My favorite go to breakfast for a diabetic (me) is 2 whole wheat waffles, 2 tbs of Adams Penut butter on them(2tbs split between the waffles) and 1/2 banana on top (again split between the waffles).
    This is what the Diabetic Nurse recommended to me. Oh! Use the Creamy "No Stir" Adams Peanut Butter!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm a type2 diabetic..

When I'm craving something sweet, I've been drinking 1/3 cup of Lifeway Lowfat Peach Kefir.
    I've been trying to eat VERY low carb, and if I feel peckish in the evening (or any other time) I pour myself some.
    I use a special fancy glass so I think I'm getting a real treat. ha.

This product is sweetened with stevia..
    For some reason stevia is one of those things I can't tolerate very well, but it doesn't seem to bother me in this product.

Kefir is kind of.. fizzy and has a pleasant, slightly sweet tang.

wecter6sfego.jpg

Or I have a bit of plain Dannon nonfat Greek Yogurt.

I really like the Light and Fit Yogurts... the chocolate one is yummy.

BUT:

But I'd caution you to read the labels very carefully.
    I know, I'm preaching to the choir.
    But some of the Diabetic Friendly products... aren't.

Some of these yogurts and other products contain sucralose, modified food starch, corn starch...cane sugar....

(sucralose is a form of sugar, so is modified food starch.. corn starch is--starch... )

I had to give up the Light and Fit yogurts. It's SO sad.

If you're not hypersensitive to any of these things... go for it in moderation.

But I have gotten to the point where anything with corn starch, modified food starch.. sucralose and other artificial sweeteners make me feel like...cr*p. >:) AND...those products often taste "off" to me. Maybe it's my meds.
    I don't know. Maybe I'm just crazy. LOL

Stuff like Crystal Light? It raises my blood sugar makes me feel dizzy, insane, and give me a heinous headache.
    I tried sugar free popsicles.. yay! NO. I had to throw them out. *sob*

Trust me, I would have never believed that I'd be so "sensitive". I have always been able to eat everything with no problem.
    (Well, ok... I got fat...) :D

Now, suddenly I'm a "High Maintenance Diva" who spends a lot of time peering at labels and pokes suspiciously at restaurant food. I'm like Sally in "When Harry Met Sally". "I want regular, not diet, dressing on the side, make it vinaigrette.. but if it has sugar skip it; and don't give me any french fries, I want green beans, steamed...

I still think about chocolate.
    Sometimes I have a piece of dark chocolate.. but I dare not keep it around, because if it's there, I will eat it.

Well, this turned into something of a whine, so I apologize.
    But... just saying. If your numbers are not what you'd hoped for and you're eating some of these products..look again.

• RalfLott
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    I'm a type2 diabetic..

But I'd caution you to read the labels very carefully.
    I know, I'm preaching to the choir.
    But some of the Diabetic Friendly products... aren't.

Some of these yogurts and other products contain sucralose, modified food starch, corn starch...cane sugar....

(sucralose is a form of sugar, so is modified food starch.. corn starch is--starch... )

I had to give up the Light and Fit yogurts. It's SO sad.

Stuff like Crystal Light? It raises my blood sugar makes me feel dizzy, insane, and give me a heinous headache.
    I tried sugar free popsicles.. yay! NO. I had to throw them out. *sob*

Now, suddenly I'm a "High Maintenance Diva" who spends a lot of time peering at labels and pokes suspiciously at restaurant food. I'm like Sally in "When Harry Met Sally". "I want regular, not diet, dressing on the side, make it vinaigrette.. but if it has sugar skip it; and don't give me any french fries, I want green beans, steamed... :)

I still think about chocolate.
    Sometimes I have a piece of dark chocolate.. but I dare not keep it around, because if it's there, I will eat it.

Well, this turned into something of a whine, so I apologize.
    But... just saying. If your numbers are not what you'd hoped for and you're eating some of these products..look again.

Amen, sister! That's how you battle the BG monster - and test frequently, so you know if your fave treat is friend or foe. If it shoots your BG up, you might as well be eating rat poison - be glad you found out!

• RalfLott
    My favorite go to breakfast for a diabetic (me) is 2 whole wheat waffles, 2 tbs of Adams Penut butter on them(2tbs split between the waffles) and 1/2 banana on top (again split between the waffles).
    This is what the Diabetic Nurse recommended to me. Oh! Use the Creamy "No Stir" Adams Peanut Butter!

I would be out for a 5-mile hike after I checked my BG after a breakfast like that - I'm so envious,,,, Consider yourself lucky!

PS I would fire a nurse that suggested 1 waffle, let alone 2.... add the banana and I'd file a licensing complaint!
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    For me, my go to treats have to be Skyr, Jujube Berries, Medjool Dates, Dried Mango and Nuts.