Neighbor Wakes Me Around 3 AM Every Morning

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    LaMartian wrote: »
    Get a PA speaker and mic and toward the end, with your best Mortal Kombat voice, announce "Finish her!"

What would I call it? A sexality?
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    I tried the alarm thing. I set it to go off at midnight on a weekend that I wouldn't be there. Had absolutely no affect at all. I was going to bang on the wall the next time they woke me up.

Honestly, all of that is passive-aggressive. Before resorting to stereos and alarms and such, why not just walk over and talk to them? Let them know what you can hear, and ask politely if they can keep it down. Just because she's loud doesn't mean she's being loud for the sake of keeping you awake. At least give them a chance to make a change.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    finny11122 wrote: »
    OK, so this has been happening almost every weekday night for a couple of weeks now. I live in an apartment, whose construction is obviously subpar, and I awake out of a dead sleep by blood curdling screams almost every night between 2 AM and 3 AM. The first time it happened, I thought a woman outside was being murdered. I jumped out of bed and peered out my window and saw nothing until I realized that it was coming through my bedroom wall. Apparently, the neighbors attached to my apartment have decided that they want to go at it like rabbits every night around that time, which is cool with me. I'm happy that they're into each other. However, is it necessary for the female to scream as if someone is cutting her heart out? I tried wearing ear plugs but that only muffles the screams and I can still hear them enough to wake me up. The problem is that once I'm awake, I'm awake and I can't get back to sleep and have to get up at 4:30. Would it be rude to ask them to keep down the noise if possible? I don't want to embarrass them because I'm glad their having a good time but I need my sleep. I've looked into moving into another unit but they won't have another available in my size for another 2 months. What would you do?

Knock at the door and ask for a threesome with a tripod and video camera in hand .

You obviously haven't seen my neighbors.

hahaha , awesome . But on a serious note , i would knock on the door and say , I got to get some sleep , would you mind keeping the noise down .
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Most apartment complexes have quiet hours. If your neighbor is screaming at 3 AM, she is violating those quiet hours, and therefore also violating the terms of her lease. If talking to the neighbor yourself doesn't work, let your landlord know about the problem, so they can address the issue with your neighbor.

(Can you tell I have neighbor noise issues too?)
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Just ask them to be a bit more considerate in a polite manner.
    If that doesn't work, record the sounds and approach the landlord.
    If that doesn't work, set up a sound system near the wall and blast some classical music.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Get a PA speaker and mic and toward the end, with your best Mortal Kombat voice, announce "Finish her!"

OMG....DO IT!!
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    If that doesn't work, set up a sound system near the wall and blast some classical music.

Classical music could work. I don't see how anyone could fool around while listening to Bach.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member

Classical music could work. I don't see how anyone could fool around while listening to Bach.

Easy. With wine and a cigar.
  • MasterBroshi

Easy. With wine and a cigar.

Ha! Fair enough.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited May 2016
    They do this every weekday night? wow...impressive.

Maybe try a fan on your night stand to help muffle the noise. I have to sleep with a fan on every night. We always take one with us to a hotel too. I just like the fan noise so we don't hear every little sound.

• AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Get the broom and bang it to the wall loudly why they are at it and scream "quiet!". I did that before when I lived on an apartment complex. Hehe it worked tho blush:

The noise suddenly stopped and couldn't care less if they finished or not. They never were loud again.

Go back to bed in silence.
  • MasterBroshi
    MamaFunky wrote: »

Maybe try a fan on your night stand to help muffle the noise. I have to sleep with a fan on every night. We always take one with us to a hotel too. I just like the fan noise so we don't hear every little sound.

Nah, they need to be aware they are disturbing others. It is so rude.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited May 2016

I agree. I would probably tell the front office so they can be the ones to tell the neighbors about any noise ordinance. There is probably not a loud enough fan to muffle a scream like the one OP mentioned. lol :smiley:
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    First thing I would try is to contact them in person or with a note with your complaint. If they don't respond favorably to that then go to some of the other suggestions here, but immediately going to revenge type strategies doesn't seem to be a smart way to go to me.
    I worked night shift at a hotel and have had to have this conversation with people multiple times as well as one roommate. In every instance it was slightly embarrassing, but a simple conversation resolved the issue almost every time.
  • MasterBroshi

I agree. I would probably tell the front office so they can be the ones to tell the neighbors about any noise ordinance. There is probably not a loud enough fan to muffle a scream like the one OP mentioned. lol :smiley:

Maybe one of those huge industrial fans.
  • MasterBroshi
    makingmark wrote: »
    First thing I would try is to contact them in person or with a note with your complaint. If they don't respond favorably to that then go to some of the other suggestions here, but immediately going to revenge type strategies doesn't seem to be a smart way to go to me.
    I worked night shift at a hotel and have had to have this conversation with people multiple times as well as one roommate. In every instance it was slightly embarrassing, but a simple conversation resolved the issue almost every time.

Pfffft acting all mature and adult-like.....
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited May 2016

move to the country. get a tiny house maybe pre-fab something modern so you can claim DIY but with style. some acreage, maybe 5-15 acres. you'll need either a truck or a hybrid vehicle too. build a chicken coop with plans downloaded from pinterest but don't name your chickens because the only thing more ridiculous than naming your chickens is naming your sex toys. go minimal and no dishwasher, you only have one set of plates anyway. you'll need a gun to protect your property and 'livestock'. get tired of commuting and work out a work-at-home arrangement with your employer. find yourself leaving the homestead less and less each day, until you lose the ability to make small talk and shower only once every few days.

at night sleep peacefully with no noises at all, except some coyotes in the distance but at this point that sound is comforting to you, a reminder of how far way you are from everyone else.

Wait. . what's wrong with naming your sex toys?
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Sorry dude. Didn't realize I sounded like a woman screaming :#

I'll try growling more next time :wink:
  • blairrob12
    blairrob12 Posts: 215 Member
    Sorry dude. Didn't realize I sounded like a woman screaming :#

I'll try growling more next time :wink:

Well at least you said sorry!