Improving upper body strength

I've recently taken up Pole dancing as a form of exercise. I'm finding it so difficult to hold my own body weight up with my arms alone and I get really sore in my arm pits haha. As I only go to one class a week is there any other exercises I can do at home to improve my upper body strength?

Replies

• MrsKgettingfit
    MrsKgettingfit Posts: 28 Member
    Press up and pull ups might help. My upper body strength is so bad, i can't even manage a proper push up ha We have a bar system in the back garden that i keep looking at and thinking i must start using it soon.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Fitness blender YouTube for arms is great as well as Tone it up arms on YouTube
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Lack of strength and control with the arms is often a core strength issue.

Work on plank, push up, roll out and chin/pull up variations with an emphasis on a braced core and scapular control.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Thank you for the suggestions :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    you should really consider a full body workout. But keep in mind when scheduling workouts that your pole dancing is a workout, and the fact that are you sore means you need to allow appropriate recovery time afterwards. The pole dancing will actually strengthen you.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Press ups, pull ups, dips, bicep curls, lat pull downs, shoulder press, I could go on for days
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you should really consider a full body workout. But keep in mind when scheduling workouts that your pole dancing is a workout, and the fact that are you sore means you need to allow appropriate recovery time afterwards. The pole dancing will actually strengthen you.

How long is appropriate recovering time? I'm often sore for three days after Pole.