Did you swim today?

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Robertus wrote: »
    I'm just curious...how do you all keep track of your longer distance swims??? usually in my head I'm all "la la la, breath, water in my mouth, oops, ok now breath, la la la" and have no idea what lap I'm on, lmao
    I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/SportCount-Chrono-200-Counter-Timer/dp/B00NVR1Y0E?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I use the one without the clock function. Love it.

Re Bilateral breathing. I had to force myself to learn after spending the previous 50 odd years breathing only out pf my left side.
    Swimming longer distances it became apparent that I had to learn bilateral to keep my body in balance.
    It took maybe 100 miles before it finally felt natural.
    Just do it. And keep doing it until it feels natural.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I'm just curious...how do you all keep track of your longer distance swims??? usually in my head I'm all "la la la, breath, water in my mouth, oops, ok now breath, la la la" and have no idea what lap I'm on, lmao
    I use this:
    http://www.amazon.com/SportCount-Chrono-200-Counter-Timer/dp/B00NVR1Y0E?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Re Bilateral breathing. I had to force myself to learn after spending the previous 50 odd years breathing only out pf my left side.
    Swimming longer distances it became apparent that I had to learn bilateral to keep my body in balance.
    I like the clock function because I can easily identify the the laps where I forgot to click the lap counter. My laps are around 50 seconds, but when I see 1:40 or 2:30 I realize that I did 2 or 3 laps at that point. Occasionally I forget to click the counter and sometimes I think it does not register because the button is not always reliable, I think.

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member

A sports watch that's waaaayyyy too fancy for my current athletic abilities. But it does keep track of laps and has a GPS for open water.
  • NoelFigart1
    2000y 54:52
  • fishgutzy
    I use this:

I like the clock function because I can easily identify the the laps where I forgot to click the lap counter. My laps are around 50 seconds, but when I see 1:40 or 2:30 I realize that I did 2 or 3 laps at that point. Occasionally I forget to click the counter and sometimes I think it does not register because the button is not always reliable, I think.

But it only stores 50 laps. So it doesn't help me when I'm swimming 141 :D
  • fishgutzy
    7KM tonight.
    The guy that asked me about swooning the other night was there. He recorded a couple laps of me swimming for his own training. Ha!
    Layer he asked if he could take a picture with me. Pretty funny.
    At one point tonight there were the of us in the fast lane doing free style. The other two guys kept stopping to rest though. Every 2 or three laps.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    edited May 2016

So I started back in the pool about a month ago. First day swam 600 yards (24 lengths) and now a month later I am up to 2100 yards (84 lengths) and it takes me about 50 minutes. My goal by the end of May is to be around 3200 yards.

How often do you guys get in the pool?
    Good job. It varies quite a bit. Many here are daily swimmers. At the other extreme, after a very long swim (3-6 miles), it is not unusual for me to take a week off. I need to be careful to to exacerbate shoulder/elbow issues that surfaced last year. Other weeks, I might do 2-3 miles about 3 times a week. Depends on the weather. On nice days, I may bike 35 miles to and from work over the 'mountain'. I added biking and walking to my fitness pursuits so that I would not have to rely too much on swimming and save my shoulder/elbow.

Robertus, I've just put two and two together. Is your bad shoulder/elbow on the opposite side of your breathing side? If yes, then it could be the position of your arm/elbow hand as you pulling and turning to breathe. It's possible to put your arm into an impingement position for the rotator cuff tendons of the shoulder. Also, have you had your neck looked at?
  • fishgutzy
    nuffer wrote: »

I am terrible at keeping track of my distance. Like many other things in my life that I'm terrible at, I bought some technology to help me. I have a Garmin Swim watch that works quite well. REI has it on sale right now for a good price. It has a bunch of features that I find useful and can automatically sync with MFP through GarminConnect.

There are other much less expensive options out there. I think @fishgutzy uses a ring counter. These can be purchased at swim stores.

Got mine on Amazon.com. about 1/10th the price of the Garmin. :dizzy:
    No tables to correct when it muses a turn. It counts kick board laps where the Garmin doesn't.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    YES,
    Monday 1 mile @ 78 minutes
    Today 0.5 mile @ 36 minutes
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member

Oh, I can't just swim straight and this is coming from someone who was a distance swimmer decades ago.

I break it up into sets for example today, did 2400 yards:
    200 warm up
    8 x 50's freestyle
    200 stroke drills (catch up and one arm)
    400 kick (fins) flutter
    200 kick (fins) dolphin down/flutter back
    200 kick (fins) 50 backstroke/50 flutter
    8 x 25's focus on technique
    8 x 50 freestyle
    200 warm down

@Robertus
    One sure fire way to have shoulder/elbow problems is to press down with your hand in the water, rather than catch the water and pull it towards your body. People raising their heads to breathe, rather than turning, will often see that injury. Maybe you have already sorted it out, but thought it was worth mentioning.
  • Robertus
    I use this:

But it only stores 50 laps. So it doesn't help me when I'm swimming 141 :D
    Mine stores 200 laps and gives you totals & average times beyond that.
  • Robertus
    SwimmyD wrote: »
    So I started back in the pool about a month ago. First day swam 600 yards (24 lengths) and now a month later I am up to 2100 yards (84 lengths) and it takes me about 50 minutes. My goal by the end of May is to be around 3200 yards.

How often do you guys get in the pool?
    Good job. It varies quite a bit. Many here are daily swimmers. At the other extreme, after a very long swim (3-6 miles), it is not unusual for me to take a week off. I need to be careful to to exacerbate shoulder/elbow issues that surfaced last year. Other weeks, I might do 2-3 miles about 3 times a week. Depends on the weather. On nice days, I may bike 35 miles to and from work over the 'mountain'. I added biking and walking to my fitness pursuits so that I would not have to rely too much on swimming and save my shoulder/elbow.

Robertus, I've just put two and two together. Is your bad shoulder/elbow on the opposite side of your breathing side? If yes, then it could be the position of your arm/elbow hand as you pulling and turning to breathe. It's possible to put your arm into an impingement position for the rotator cuff tendons of the shoulder. Also, have you had your neck looked at?
    No, it was on the breathing side. I'm hoping it's mostly sorted out now as long as I don't do too much fast distance swims too many days in a row. I can do a 29-minute mile, but I shouldn't try to do a 145-minute 5-mile swim.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Nope - it was just too darn nice outside today, so I went for a long walk instead...it was lovely!

How often?

Well, I think I have the honour of being the slowest and least frequent swimmer amongst us regular posters. I aim for twice a week (usually IK), have sometimes managed 3x and often it is once or less. I have pretty good stroke form, just I do it all modestly speed/distnsce wise.

I remember my distance a variety of ways - alphabet games, routines made out of wordplay (eg my pool is called Glassmills, so the g is general warm up, the l is leg drills for all 4 stokes, a similar but for arms etc). I tried a finger counter, but it died pretty quick. Sometimes I don't count.

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    I was all ready to go swim today, when I discovered my wallet had gone adventuring..probably on the bus, yesterday. Harumpf.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member

@MonkeyMel21 I think I can speak for all swimmers - Been There - Done that. Yes I accidentally drink pool water and lose count quite often especially if I am only doing Front crawl - long distance. That's why I do drill-sets as it is a good way to guide you to longer distances and improve your stroke. Another thing I do to keep track is Mini sets 10 lengths front crawl ( 250m) 10 of breast, 10 back, 10 front etc, etc.

That is basically what I did at lunch today
    250 Fr, 250 Breast, 250 back, 250 fr, 250 br, 250 fr = 1500m
    No Drills today.

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    2750 in 61 minutes. I sneak in a few minutes before "official" lap swim time -- I know the coaches for the youth swim team and they actually clear a lane for me before they really have to, which I appreciate (taking them for drinks next week). I'm stuck at this speed, though, which I have to break through. Seems so close to my 3K yards in an hour and I don't think I can do it before the pool moves to 45 minute evening swim next week.
  • NoelFigart1
    2000yard/56:20
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Does your pool have a clock for you to use? If you know that you do a certain distance in a set amount of time (say 50 yards every 45 seconds) you can use that to help figure out how far you have gone...though it does include a bit of math.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    45 minutes in yesterday, hoping for another 45-60 today. I tried out some of the drills you guys suggested. Wow! What a huge help. I kept thinking what a GREAT resource this board is, and all of your collective wisdom and experience.

Thanks everyone! :smile: