Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much fruit to eat per day

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I see I'm not the only one! There are some very "seasonal" fruits that when they start showing up in the grocery store I have to get creative fitting them in and be sure to weigh and log them, because I make a fool out of myself over them - cherries, strawberries, and nectarines. I love them, and here in NY they are only available for a few months. And the beginning and end of the season they really aren't "in season", so I have to wait until they've been showing up in the stores for a week or two before they are really good. I just started seeing cherries, and there was a tiny little display of plums, so the nectarines should be here soon!

OP, as has already been said, if your diet is generally low in fiber, the fiber in fruit might be causing the bloating. The other option is a food allergy, and some fruit can be a problem if you have IBS. Otherwise, eat fruit whenever you want, assuming they fit into your calorie goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I eat way more fruit in the summer, because I love all the seasonal local fruits so much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I eat way more fruit in the summer, because I love all the seasonal local fruits so much.

So do i. I love summer time for that reason.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    All you people and your silly growing seasons.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    My fruit consumption varies greatly by season. I eat much more fruit, including fruits that are commonly thought of as vegetables, when they are in season. None are in season during winter where I live so I sometimes go days without eating fruit.

Fruit does not make me bloat so if I gained weight it would be because I ate too many calories. But I'm more active in the months I tend to eat more fruit so I usually lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    My fruit consumption varies greatly by season. I eat much more fruit, including fruits that are commonly thought of as vegetables, when they are in season. None are in season during winter where I live so I sometimes go days without eating fruit.

I'm the same way, except in the winter is when I tend to eat clementines and bananas (which of course aren't local where I am, ever). And sometimes apples, as they can last pretty long if stored right, depending on the variety.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    My farm stand has ruined me for apples that are not local and in season.

I'm always happy to see them appear in the late summer...until I realize this means summer is over.
  • kshama2001
    zyxst wrote: »

I used to buy peaches at the supermarket and wonder why they did not taste like how I remembered as a kid...and then figured out that mom had bought peaches from the local apple/peach farm.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm always happy to see them appear in the late summer...until I realize this means summer is over.

Yep, almost all the fruit I eat is locally home grown (mostly by me). That stuff that is shipped in from some far away land just does not taste the same. I think this true of things like tomatoes (especially tomatoes!!) and zucchini as well as sweet fruits.
  • mirihawk
    mirihawk Posts: 34 Member
    If you are sensitive to sugar, fruit can cause your blood sugar to jump up and then sink down fast. I never eat fruit without some fat or protein with it. (like a cheese stick, for example.) - but I am pre-diabetic, so I have to watch my carbs and balance them so they get digested more slowly.
  • lemurcat12

These are local apples. You can get them pretty late into the winter here from the green market/CSA.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    mirihawk wrote: »
    If you are sensitive to sugar, fruit can cause your blood sugar to jump up and then sink down fast. I never eat fruit without some fat or protein with it. (like a cheese stick, for example.) - but I am pre-diabetic, so I have to watch my carbs and balance them so they get digested more slowly.

This must vary by person. My MIL and SIL are both T2 diabetics and they eat fruit like it's going out of style because it's the only sugary fruit that doesn't spike their glucose levels. My SIL eats about 1 lb of grapes per day.
  • lemurcat12

Yep, almost all the fruit I eat is locally home grown (mostly by me). That stuff that is shipped in from some far away land just does not taste the same. I think this true of things like tomatoes (especially tomatoes!!) and zucchini as well as sweet fruits.

Couldn't agree more about tomatoes. That's one of the things I successfully grow, and I like the ones from the green houses earlier in the season than I can get them from my garden, but out of season and non local tomatoes aren't worth it -- one of the reasons I defend canned tomatoes, as IMO high quality canned tomatoes are the best option out of season.

(Maybe some day I will actually can my own. Could happen.)
  • Need2Exerc1se

Couldn't agree more about tomatoes. That's one of the things I successfully grow, and I like the ones from the green houses earlier in the season than I can get them from my garden, but out of season and non local tomatoes aren't worth it -- one of the reasons I defend canned tomatoes, as IMO high quality canned tomatoes are the best option out of season.

You should! They are super easy to can because of the high acid content. You don't even need a pressure cooker. Just a pot large enough to submerge the jars in water. Peeling them is a bit of a mess, but so worth it.
  • kshama2001

These are local apples. You can get them pretty late into the winter here from the green market/CSA.

What varieties store well?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

You should! They are super easy to can because of the high acid content. You don't even need a pressure cooker. Just a pot large enough to submerge the jars in water. Peeling them is a bit of a mess, but so worth it.

+1

• lemurcat12
    edited May 2016

What varieties store well?

I'm not an expert -- I just take what the CSA sends and look at what's available at the green market. Apples are one of the few things (only fruit) we get through the whole winter. I think Northern Spy and Gala were among the varieties.
  • Mattwhosfat
    Mattwhosfat Posts: 44 Member
    I started a right discussion here didn't I lol!!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

Lol, I was thinking this too :D Of course there are seasons and some fruits are better and cheaper and more plentyful at certain times, but there's always some fruit that is ripe somewhere. I eat a wide variety of fruit all year round, but exactly what, changes a lot from season to season. If we were to rely solely on our own fruit, we'd be eating nothing but apples, pears, plums, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, lingonberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, gooseberries and rose hips :(
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    briteyes wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Wat?

I mean, I understand picking what works for you, but then you lost me in all the rules after that...

It's quite simple - sorry if I confused you.

Carbs and Fat together are essentially a no no. So either eat one or the other, but not both together.
    http://www.metaboliceffect.com/worst-food-combination-for-weight-loss/
    The best time to have carbs is around a workout. The worst time to have fat is right after a workout - it's proven that fat does not digested properly after a workout. That's why it is recommended to eat simple easy to digest carbs and easy to digest protein (i.e., chocolate milk and a banana, etc.)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm

So yeah, eat fruit if you want, but just do it right - even better if you can do it combined with a workout so you can put all that sugar to good use!

I eat high carb, high protein, low fat. Lost around 70 pounds and kept off. Low carb isn't for everyone. I tried it twice and was losing my sanity. Low carb, high fat makes me feel hungry which I didn't like either.