Partner not helping

So I have only started trying to loose weight from the beginning of this week and I have set out a meal plan that I've been sticking to all week as has my partner. He wants to loose weight too so he has been having the same meals as me but almost every day he keeps trying to get out of it by saying things like "can't we just have takeaway tonight" or "im getting a takeaway, what do you want?"

I have been good and resisted but it's just getting annoying and I might not be so strong in the future.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Tune him out. Make your meals and if he decides to eat something else, wrap up his and eat it as leftovers later.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    You are doing this for yourself. Just do what you need to do for you and when you lose and he doesn't, that's his fault, not yours.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    He doesn't seem ready to lose weight. That's fine, take care of yourself and your goals.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    You can only be responsible for what you eat. However much he says he wants to lose weight, if he caves and gets a take away that's on him, you can't fix it or make him change. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be rewarded by the results! And maybe if he sees you getting great results he'll want to join you!

Keep going, you've got this!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Well this is going to take some time.. no doubt about it.. but it will happen..

If you are serious about your weight loss (which you sound like you are), you do need to continue with what you are doing and if he wants take out, let him do takeout.

After about 3 - 4 weeks and longer as you are making progress, he will see that. Your results will inspire him to jump on the train with you. If some chance he does not, you can not change what another person is doing or feeling, the only one you can control is you and what you do from here on out..

I would make a bet in one month you loose X weight, he notices and then wants some of that too!!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Consider ordering take a ways that will fit into your plan.
  • Rach0792
    Rach0792 Posts: 44 Member
    It's more that he is trying to pressure me into eating crap and I'm just afraid that one of these days I will crack and just eat something I shouldn't.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited May 2016
    There really is nothing that you shouldn't eat, unless you are allergic to it, it's spoiled, fell on the ground, etc. You can eat take out, it's okay. Just try to log it as accurately as possible and stay within your calorie goal. Weight loss is about the amount of calories you eat, not where the calories come from. Having a few pieces of pizza or some sesame chicken is fine, just don't over do it.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Get used to being around food you're not going to eat. Might as well happen at home- it happens everywhere else.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Rach0792 wrote: »
    It's more that he is trying to pressure me into eating crap and I'm just afraid that one of these days I will crack and just eat something I shouldn't.

What do you consider "crap"?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,849 Member
    edited May 2016
    So I have only started trying to loose weight from the beginning of this week and I have set out a meal plan that I've been sticking to all week as has my partner. He wants to loose weight too so he has been having the same meals as me but almost every day he keeps trying to get out of it by saying things like "can't we just have takeaway tonight" or "im getting a takeaway, what do you want?"

I have been good and resisted but it's just getting annoying and I might not be so strong in the future.

Are you trying to feed him the same portions as you? My OH is a foot taller than me so needs a lot more calories.

I've trained my OH to give me notice if he wants something high calorie like pizza so I am able to work it into my calorie budget.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    It's not your partners job to help you. You are only accountable for your own actions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'd love it not to have to cook once in a while... just pick healthier options. Nothing wrong with take out.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    unless hes shoving the food in your mouth..... what you eat is all on you.

i lost almost 90 pounds living with my ex who eats any and everything and almost always take out.

I ate the same stuff, just less of it, and worked out to compensate for it as well.

dont make excuses, just do what you need to do and dont worry about what hes doing.
  • Rach0792
    Rach0792 Posts: 44 Member
    I consider "crap" to be things like pizza and burgers from pizza places or McDonald's or KFC. I know I could go for a 'healthier option' but that's not really what I want to do.

• Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Being married for over 10 years has got me into this mess! It's not my husband's fault, it's mine. At first, I figured I could eat what he does. It worked in college, it should work forever right? I didn't realize until a few years ago that I don't need anywhere near the amount of food he does! We're talking a difference of over 1000cals!

You do not need to eat what he eats. If you don't want it, don't eat it. If you want it, eat less. Eat it with a ton of veggies so you are full and can't eat it all. Order something different if you don't feel like cooking!

A few nights ago, he made Mac & Cheese from scratch. In the old days, I'd give him half, and I'd eat the other half. Now, I eat way less of it (i only had 4 bites of it) and ended up making an egg with peppers and onions for dinner instead. I love Mac & Cheese, it tastes great, but I don't think it's worth it to eat too much of it. We still eat together, but we don't eat the same things.

He takes the kids to McDonalds or Culver's Custard after swimming once a week. Every time he calls and asks me if I want something. Sometimes I say yes, sometimes I say no. It depends on what I've eaten already that day and what I can fit in. Custard is hard to pass on so I try to save room! He doesn't get offended if I decline, and I appreciate that he always asks just in case.

Good for you for sticking with your plan for a week. I promise you, it does get easier.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I consider "crap" to be things like pizza and burgers from pizza places or McDonald's or KFC. I know I could go for a 'healthier option' but that's not really what I want to do.

It's just carbs, protein and fat like any other food. If you want fast food every once in awhile, just eat a little less through out the day to make room for it.
  • LeahP527
    LeahP527 Posts: 17 Member
    I see this becoming an issue with my boyfriend as well. He also wants to lose weight but we are only about a week into trying to lose weight and he has told me a couple days this week that they were "bad days" or "a cheat day". I know that I have to do this for myself and I think once I start seeing results that he may really fully get on board with this but I also know that I can't make him do it and that he has to do it for himself. I just have to stick to it and do this for myself!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    How do I blame my partner when I fail squat reps?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Do your own thing, focus on your goal and most men need more calories compared to women.
    Plan accordingly, if u can eat the take away and fit it in then go for it otherwise don't.