Recommend a diet soda that doesn't taste like diet?

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Coke zero for me
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I was unaware of all these different diet soda types! Mm. Going to have to be in the lookout now. Could use a cream soda!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    snikkins wrote: »
    I was unaware of all these different diet soda types! Mm. Going to have to be in the lookout now. Could use a cream soda!
    Avoid diet orange sodas

I have never had a good diet orange soda.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Ummm...all soda is bad for you, but diet is the worst. All the artificial crap in there is going to give you cancer. Why not try infused homemade water or something that has some benefits?

No just take several seats. :noway:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited May 2016
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Avoid diet orange sodas

at first they taste horrible, but you get used to it. I will rather that taste that the extra 300 cals...its not like a twist of orange with water taste good
    v4rv6tkrhbqm.jpeg
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Diet Dr. Pepper, Coke Zero, Cherry Coke Zero, Sprite Zero, and I don't like root beer but there are some diet root beers that don't taste very diet.
    A friend of mine loves La Croix diet sodas. Never tried them.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    The two I like best are Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet A&W Root Beer.

This. Also, I've discovered that Diet A&W Cream Soda. My tastebuds are really accustomed to the flavor of sugar-free, but there's usually a flat* note to diet soda that I notice -- and I didn't detect that with the cream soda.

(* In the flavor, I mean. Not the carbonation. Carbonation is the whole reason I drink diet soda, lol.)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    snavemom wrote: »
    I have cut myself down to 1 Shasta Cola (Coke is my favorite) a day. I am sure that is going to have to go soon. Never liked diet sodas. I remember Fresca and it was pretty good and anyone old enough to remember TAB??? It was made by CocaCola. Diet Coke replaced it. 0e08641945jp.jpg

Tab is still around, although harder to find these days. I never really acquired that taste.

To the OP - is it specifically the taste of aspartame you don't like? Pepsi One doesn't have any aspartame, it uses a blend of Ace-K and sucralose. I really like Pepsi Max even though it does have aspartame. I think most of the ones that use a mix of multiple artificial sweeteners are better than those that use a single one.

Frankly, though, it's been decades since I've regularly had any non-diet sodas, so I can't really tell you how well they compare. Pepsi Max and Diet Sprite compare closely with my memory of what Pepsi and Sprite taste like.

I think that's why I don't like certain things, but I honestly don't bother looking at the ingredients. I'll be sure to check for what type of sweetener is used next time. Side note: I find Quest bars taste like Sweet-n-Low.

Coke Zero has aspartame, as does Diet Coke. I'll drink Diet Coke, but Coke Zero is 10000000x better and less diet-tasting, IMO. I think it usually comes down to the recipe. Stevia and sucralose do taste different, but not necessarily more "diet" if they're put in a good recipe.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    edited May 2016
    I enjoy diet A&W root beer, diet cherry pepsi, diet cherry 7 Up and diet cream soda (when I can find it). Pepsi Max is also pretty good, but I haven't seen that around lately.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Avoid diet orange sodas

at first they taste horrible, but you get used to it. I will rather that taste that the extra 300 cals...its not like a twist of orange with water taste good
    v4rv6tkrhbqm.jpeg

Yep. It's been a while for regular soda for me. I wouldn't be able to tell if a zero cal soda tasted diet-y. I definitely enjoyed diet Crush while I used to drink it. Now I mainly favor diet Dew and diet Canada Dry.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    My SUGGESTION is that you squeeze and drop a slice of lime into your D.S.---immediately gives that taste boost--for me anyhow.

.......and to the person above**** @danigirl1011 ****who thinks we shouldn't drink soda "you can rest assured that ppl find themselves in places where you might TRY to manage with what is on hand" --not that this means any of us drink diet soda everyday.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Can someone please share a link to the "why aspartame isn't bad for you" thread for @danigirl1011 ?
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    I don't always drink soda, but when I do, I prefer Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda. ;-)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    LINIA wrote: »
    My SUGGESTION is that you squeeze and drop a slice of lime into your D.S.---immediately gives that taste boost--for me anyhow.

.......and to the person above**** @danigirl1011 ****who thinks we shouldn't drink soda "you can rest assured that ppl find themselves in places where you might TRY to manage with what is on hand" --not that this means any of us drink diet soda everyday.

I drink diet soda every day-have for years.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Avoid diet orange sodas

Ehh, there's plenty of other fish in the sea. I'd rather just drink something else.

Once, when Kroger had a 4 for 9 sale on their store brand sodas; the other time at the gas station near the park I go to run.

The other 3 packs of store brand sodas were great, diet ginger ale, diet root beer, and a diet rip cherry cola.
    I don't let myself pick up a diet soda at the gas station regularly because it's 1.40-1.69 each time. They usually stock Diet 7UP.

• melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    I had to give up diet soda because it's a migraine trigger for me :'( I second the diet cranberry Sierra Mist and diet cream soda!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Can someone please share a link to the "why aspartame isn't bad for you" thread for @danigirl1011 ?

Here it is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • Sapphire3002
    Sapphire3002 Posts: 112 Member
    I recommend diet soda by Polar. You can't even tell it's diet when drinking it.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I love Diet Mt Dew, but I've also been drinking it for years. It's the only diet pop I drink. It doesn't even taste like a diet drink to me anymore. Sometimes I'll grab a Diet Sunkist or A&W Cream Soda but otherwise I'm loyal to my Dew.
  • jasamjak67
    jasamjak67 Posts: 1,421 Member
    DIET DR PEPPER