New here - looking to lose 10-12 lbs.

2»

Replies

• aowens1785
    aowens1785 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm 35. 5'8" and currently 148-150 lbs. I'd be thrilled to get to 140, 135 would be a dream come true, but thin, lean legs and thighs (or at least thinner) I want SOOOO badly. I run 5k inconsistently (at least once a week but sometimes I am awesome and do 3-4). I drink Shakeology and other meal replacements and count calories. I just screw it up every day...I start with good things and then I sabatage myself or something and binge or just eat something to make myself go over my goal. I really don't make terrible food choices, but I just don't seem to have the endurance to stay on track very long.
  • kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    @aowens1785 Congrats on Getting married.. :smile: To be able to run 5k even inconsistency is pretty amazing if you ask me! I couldn't even think about doing that..ever... I do not think my body could manage that.. so be very proud of yourself for that. Isnt it hard not to be our own worst critics?! ugh.. But I hear you with the bikini thing.. trust me.. I even ordered a thong bikini :blush: for even more motivation and believe me.. there is no way in hell I am getting into it LOL.. but I am going to a adults only resort and its quite risque so I thought I would give it a go...

When you say Binge I can totally relate.. For some reason I cannot seem to do anything in moderation.. with me it seems it is all or nothing.. and I am so up and down all the time because of it.

This is why I started to count calories and actually sticking to it (fingers crossed).. I am now on day 8 of MFP and even though I have been using this site for years I have never actually used it more than a few days in a row...nor have I used the community part of it.. and as silly as this might sound, when I quit smoking cigarettes 8 years ago, coming to an online support group was the only thing that eventually helped me quit after 9 failed attempts, so I thought I would give the online support group another chance again. So far so good.

My issues was I would tell myself that I could not eat certain foods, I realize now that I cannot deal with restrictions. Plus whenever I would start a diet I would binge on everything bad possible the week before.. eat foods I would never even consider eating normally.

And for the record.. my stomach is what I do not like about myself.. my profile picture is me a year ago on my 35th birthday.... I am 10 lbs heavier almost now. And its all in my belly. And I find my arms and back are flabby too..
  • aowens1785
    aowens1785 Posts: 13 Member
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    @aowens1785 Congrats on Getting married.. :smile: To be able to run 5k even inconsistency is pretty amazing if you ask me! I couldn't even think about doing that..ever... I do not think my body could manage that.. so be very proud of yourself for that. Isnt it hard not to be our own worst critics?! ugh.. But I hear you with the bikini thing.. trust me.. I even ordered a thong bikini :blush: for even more motivation and believe me.. there is no way in hell I am getting into it LOL.. but I am going to a adults only resort and its quite risque so I thought I would give it a go...

When you say Binge I can totally relate.. For some reason I cannot seem to do anything in moderation.. with me it seems it is all or nothing.. and I am so up and down all the time because of it.

This is why I started to count calories and actually sticking to it (fingers crossed).. I am now on day 8 of MFP and even though I have been using this site for years I have never actually used it more than a few days in a row...nor have I used the community part of it.. and as silly as this might sound, when I quit smoking cigarettes 8 years ago, coming to an online support group was the only thing that eventually helped me quit after 9 failed attempts, so I thought I would give the online support group another chance again. So far so good.

My issues was I would tell myself that I could not eat certain foods, I realize now that I cannot deal with restrictions. Plus whenever I would start a diet I would binge on everything bad possible the week before.. eat foods I would never even consider eating normally.

And for the record.. my stomach is what I do not like about myself.. my profile picture is me a year ago on my 35th birthday.... I am 10 lbs heavier almost now. And its all in my belly. And I find my arms and back are flabby too..

Haha, the world is not ready for me in a thong bikini...*cringe*.

I've had two children and I honestly don't care about my tummy not being perfect because it's my smallest part and I feel any flaws there have a lot to do with bearing my daughters and I'm proud of that- war wounds.

I have the lovely genetic fat thighs and legs and it's just downright depressing when I am consistent and run and run and run but my legs are still thick and my jeans are still tight and I still feel the need to walk backwards out of the room when in my bikini or undies. I can look downright anorexic on top before there is even the smallest amount of shrinkage on my bottom half.

I'm really worn out from the struggle of it all, really.

I'm hoping that plugging in to this community might somehow help me feel hopeful again.

8 days on track with my calories would be so awesome! I have 566 calories left today (someone gave me a bag of candy and I partook of a few pieces- I have been saying no to all sorts of things during the past week of teacher appreciate/fatten up your kids' teachers week and the aftermath of cookie/cake/candy/carbs leftover in the teachers lounge I have to go into to get to the staff bathroom).

• kclewis416
    haha.. trust me, its not ready for me in one either.. that was my bit of motivation.. I havent received it from Amazon yet and I really hope it gets lost in the mail but Hey.. you only live once. The chances are pretty slim.. let me tell you! I have anxiety thinking of it haha!

Don't you love being a mom! My two kiddies are 5&3 and the way I run after them I should be in total shape but nope... I have the fat gene in the belly area.. its like every where is fine but the belly and sides and back.. womp womp :neutral:

Not to be facetious because I know its a serious topic..... but thick legs and thighs are bums are totally in right now.. with the kardashians and the blac chynas and the amber rose's.. women are paying to get thick booties and legs... people pay allll sorts of money to have that. No one is paying a dime for my buddah belly that's for sure!

All joking a side.. I can really sense your emotional stress over this and I can guarantee we are all in a similar situation.. so lets get this going.. I need all the support and motivation I can get.. and I totally dont mind giving it too..

I am 500 too left for today.. watching my niece and nephew tonight and my bro ordered Chinese food.. So I will be eating my salad and chicken..

Through all of this I think its important to be kind to ourselves.. :) this is a tough process!
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Morning ladies! I'm back on the MFP trying to shed about 10lbs of body fat while keeping as much lean muscle mass as possible. I feel like I've hit a one year plateau! Thick thighs...yep, that's what I dream of slimming down. I'm working with macros for the first time as a body experiment. I want to see what changes it brings.

You're going to have such a great time on your trip kclewis. Have you started the B12 yet? I seriously can't go without it. Even my doctor was shocked at how much better I feel on it (he didn't think I needed it, but I listened to my body instead).
    You have a month until that fabulous trip...that's HUGE motivation! The time will fly by and then you'll be soaking up the sun and reaping the rewards of your hard work.
  • kclewis416
    Hello modmom1, yes I have started the B12 but I am so not consistent with it (as with everything in my life) so I will try more harder to take it regularly. I might bring it to work with me and put it at my desk. Thanks for letting me know how it has changed things for you. I really am looking to not be so tired all the time.

I have been going strong for 13 days straight now (started May 1) and I notice a difference for sure, and I have dropped some weight but I am still struggling with the weekends - but I will keep taking it one day at a time and try not to be too anxious about it.

Your shoulders and arms look great in your photo. I do not think I have any muscle lol and if I do it is hiding underneath my fat - looking to try and shed some of the fat and get my muscles showing.

Been adding in at least an hour power walk a day, lots of gardening and just moving as much as I can at home, laundry, dishes, cleaning.. no tv or anything like that.. just busy busy busy, at work I work at a desk so I have brought in the big ball and I am currently bouncing up and down on that and doing some light exercise when I can fit it in. And I have been doing things like push ups against the wall and squats and any non equipment exercises I can do when I get the chance so I am unable to get to a gym. I am going to purchase some hand weights and maybe even some of those strap weights for my legs or arms when I walk.

Best of luck to you modmom1 with shedding the 10lbs of body fat... it seems that 10lbs is the magic number around here for us ladies..
  • Tiffanyvarghese
    Tiffanyvarghese Posts: 6 Member
    Our struggle is very similar (5'2 and 125 with the last 10lbs of "baby weight " to lose. ..although, my baby is 2.5yrs old!) Add me!
  • clblewis
    clblewis Posts: 34 Member
    Woo hoo down 3.8 lbs so far for May!
    How is everyone else doing half way through? :)
  • kclewis416
    Tiffany.. my youngest is 3 oldest is 5 lol :)

nice job clblewis.. I am down 4-6 lbs too.. I find that I put on weight so easily and luckily right now am able to take it off easy too..

I am going to try so hard to stay on track while on vacation for 4 days... I still want to enjoy myself but will be conscious with over indulging.
  • michellemiler
    michellemiler Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2016
    hi,
    not a big issue, you are not far away from your goal, i have already gone through the situations you are facing but now I am okay, with a slight change in my routine I got rid of 18 lbs in 8 weeks, isn't it amazing? I always drink warm water and keep my self engaged in physical activities. workout regularly and use beyond weight management tea. once we decide we certainly get.
  • justineismoney
    justineismoney Posts: 29 Member
    I used to work out 1.5- 2 hours 5/days a week and a dream body. But life gets in the way and I'm lucky if I can squeeze in small workout here and there. I'm curious too to see the advice given on here.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm joining you all too.

I started 1 week ago, serious about losing 10 lbs by 4th of July. I'm 5-6. My morning weight this morning was 143.5 and my evening weight was 145.5 last night (yep weighing 2x per day; I eat a lot of salt, so it varies a ton). Hoping to see 142 this week (in the morning) and not going over 145 at night.

I did the monkey bar challenge when my kiddos were at baseball practice a couple summers ago and could successfully do them by the end of the season (we're at a new field now, so it's a no go; maybe I'll crash a neighbor's house, it's something to do outside when the kids are playing in the evening).

I just started fit bit today; and am about to see how awfully sedentary my life really is (I do run around with the kids, but realistically, that's just in the evening after school, work, sports, etc). I think I might be stuck on the treadmill at night.....
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    edited May 2016
    My goal is 1200 per day (I don't measure and often estimate, so likely eating closer to 1400?); and over the weekend - I did not overdue it (came in around 2000 one day and 1500 the other, which for me is pretty good).
    Refuse to cut out the wine on the weekend.

Actually, just double checked - 2200 on Sat and 1600 yesterday - still not horrible (not great); hopefully next weekend I can keep all three weekend days about 1600 and keep to the 1200 during the week
  • GoKelsey
    GoKelsey Posts: 15 Member
    I've found that 5-10 minutes here and there throughout the day really adds up. On days where I can't fit in a full 40 minute workout (strength training/cardio), I know I can do smaller bursts of strength training or plyo (like pushups, squats, situps, burpees, etc). 5 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes after work, and another 10 after dinner. You can certainly work muscle groups to exhaustion in that short amount of time (including your lungs--ever try HIIT?). Some exercises may not be huge calorie-burners, but you'll add strength and tone. I lost an inch around my waist just by adding plank hip-dips (3 sets of 15) to my routine. So maybe instead of telling yourself "I don't have an hour to work out", see how much time you do have and use it to focus on a muscle group or do a little cardio. Anything is better than nothing! :)