Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I Don't Believe in Calorie Counting

Replies

• kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Counting only calories works for some people other people are do better at looseing weight by counting there carbs. Especially for me watching my carbs and doing a low carb diet work much better for me then counting calories. That is why there are so many differenty iets and cook boooks out there is because everybody is different
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    i like pie.....not sure about chakras.....Friday the 13th is mah jam!!! with peanut butter of course....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Don't eat carbs and have a random dude in a speedo send me good vibrations? Seems legit.

You don't want chakras flying in your face?

I always take carbs over chakras.

Neither needs to be flying in my face, however.

I also like carbs over chakras. But am not opposed to them flying in to my face. I think it would save energy if the carbs just levitated to my face instead of me having to pick them up and raise my hands to my mouth.

I was thinking of a pie, flying (unbidden by me, launched by some other) toward my face, which if I recall was a thing for a while not too long ago.

Of course, while people incorrect call pies "carbs" the truth is they have plenty of fat and depending on the type of pie may have protein too.

(Don't know about chakras, but I doubt it!) ;-)

I was picturing bagels tossed like a Frisbee...
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    If one does not count how are they going to learn if they are over eating or not
    I don't count calories. Using these 2 items has worked out well for me. As of now they are telling me that I need to gain 4 pounds. I would imagine others can use these tools to see if they are overeating as well.....
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg
  • FitPhillygirl
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    If one does not count how are they going to learn if they are over eating or not
    I don't count calories. Using these 2 items has worked out well for me. As of now they are telling me that I need to gain 4 pounds. I would imagine others can use these tools to see if they are overeating as well.....
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

That's a pretty time delayed method to find out if you're overeating. And one could argue that the time it takes you to measure and weigh yourself is no shorter than the time it takes to weigh your food.

How so? It hasn't been "delayed" for me at all. It only takes 2 minutes of my time once a week to weigh in and take measurements. I'll bet it takes a lot longer than that to weigh food and log it everyday. I'm not saying anything in favor of or against calorie counting. However, I don't think it's necessarily the only method to see whether or not you're gaining weight, and it certainly isn't necessary for everyone.
  • OriginalBeauty83
    OriginalBeauty83 Posts: 6 Member
    mamadon wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »

Personally, I strive to not 'live to eat'' or '"eat to live", but to have a healthy balance between the two. I believe food is for fuel and enjoyment, and I would be miserable not enjoying the so called bad foods that I love.

I completely agree!!! That is how I see food too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

That's a pretty time delayed method to find out if you're overeating. And one could argue that the time it takes you to measure and weigh yourself is no shorter than the time it takes to weigh your food.

How so? It hasn't been "delayed" for me at all. It only takes 2 minutes of my time once a week to weigh in and take measurements. I'll bet it takes a lot longer than that to weigh food and log it everyday. I'm not saying anything in favor of or against calorie counting. However, I don't think it's necessarily the only method to see whether or not you're gaining weight, and it certainly isn't necessary for everyone.

I guess I would rather not wait for the scale to go up to show me I'm overeating. If I count my calories everyday then I know I wont be gaining unwanted weight, then have to yo yo up and down.

This, and also a weekly fluctuation may or may not mean over/under eating.

I often don't log, so don't think it's necessary, but when you are in the habit of weighing and logging, at least for me, it adds almost no time to food preparation and checking in to MFP. On the other hand, measuring myself always does seem a huge pain, since I overthink precisely where the tape goes. ;-)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

I guess I would rather not wait for the scale to go up to show me I'm overeating. If I count my calories everyday then I know I wont be gaining unwanted weight, then have to yo yo up and down.

That's what I meant, yeah.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited May 2016
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

Weight is an "outcome".
    What you eat is an "input".
    Looking only at outcome is a terrible way to get somewhere.

It's like saying, when driving somewhere I don't look at the "inputs": where I am, where I am headed, a map. I only look at the destination once I've driven there. Did I get there? Nope? I'll try to fix it next week when I drive somewhere else.

I'd rather have a map.

Sorry, but I disagree, as there are some people out there who only need to look at a map once and arrive perfectly fine at there destination. Much the same way as those of us who don't need to count calories to lose or gain weight. While I do use a tape measure. Even that isn't necessary since we can see what is going on by how our clothes fit us. Getting baggy (lost weight, getting snug (gained weight). Weighing in more than once a week is overkill "for me" (not speaking for others) since weight can fluctuate by as much as 3 pounds for me depending on different circumstances. If others need to weigh in more often than that, I say do what works for you..... Now as far as calorie counting being necessary or not for weight loss. Again, it's up to the individual. What I posted above works for me, ymmv.
  • FitPhillygirl
    J72FIT wrote: »
    It's rather simple. Some have to, some don't. The one's that have to probably wish they did not. The one's that don't have to don't understand that feeling. There is no one way. To say, "I don't believe in counting calories" is silly. If you don't have to be thankful...

Now this I do agree with 100% and goes along with my post above about calorie counting being an individual thing.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    "I'm just gonna stay fat."

FIFY
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

Weight is an "outcome".
    What you eat is an "input".
    Looking only at outcome is a terrible way to get somewhere.

It's like saying, when driving somewhere I don't look at the "inputs": where I am, where I am headed, a map. I only look at the destination once I've driven there. Did I get there? Nope? I'll try to fix it next week when I drive somewhere else.

I'd rather have a map.

Sorry, but I disagree, as there are some people out there who only need to look at a map once and arrive perfectly fine at there destination. Much the same way as those of us who don't need to count calories to lose or gain weight. While I do use a tape measure. Even that isn't necessary since we can see what is going on by how our clothes fit us. Getting baggy (lost weight, getting snug (gained weight). Weighing in more than once a week is overkill "for me" (not speaking for others) since weight can fluctuate by as much as 3 pounds for me depending on different circumstances. If others need to weigh in more often than that, I say do what works for you..... Now as far as calorie counting being necessary or not for weight loss. Again, it's up to the individual. What I posted above works for me, ymmv.

I just started exercising again after not being able to for over a month. As a result, my scale measurements are out of whack and probably will be for another multiple weeks. But that's alright because I measure my intake so I know those extra pounds I suddenly got are not because of a mistake by me, something I'd only know for sure over a month from now if I went with only bodyweight to see if I'm on track or not.