Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I Don't Believe in Calorie Counting

Replies

• RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    ....much of our hunger is not even rooted in a real biological need to eat???

Sorry, but I eat because I like to live. I kind of need to eat. And if you don't believe in calorie counting why are you on this website or using the app? Like previously stated, you can "not believe" in anything you choose. Doesn't negate the science.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Not much you can do to help yourself if you don't understand how many calories are in the food you're eating. Many people work full time, have families and are constantly on the go. Counting calories helps them see how much calories are in the food they choose. A salad may seem like the healthy option but unless you look and see how many calories are in it, it may not be. Many places add a lot of calorie filled items to their salads. So it is very important to understand how many calories your meals should be and how many calories are in the food you typically eat before you can begin to really control what you're eating.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    And if you don't believe in calorie counting why are you on this website or using the app?

I love it when someone asks this question, as if calorie counting is the only reason for using this website. How about the "fitness" aspect of the website that the activity section brings with it. Or for those who did use it for weight loss at one time and have since switched to maintenance and able to do so successfully without counting calories. Are you saying those of us who maintain without calorie counting shouldn't come to this site anymore?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    It's rather simple. Some have to, some don't. The one's that have to probably wish they did not. The one's that don't have to don't understand that feeling. There is no one way. To say, "I don't believe in counting calories" is silly. If you don't have to be thankful...

Now this I do agree with 100% and goes along with my post above about calorie counting being an individual thing.

I misunderstood your post, because it sounded as if you were saying those two tools were all anyone needed (which would have been consistent with the title of this thread, as well as OP's various posts which suggested there's something wrong with anyone who needs to count calories, as well as the general point of this thread).

I happen to agree that not everyone needs to count calories. I've lost weight without counting calories myself, although I do need to do other things like be very mindful about what I eat and monitor it in other ways, like portion size and no snacking. I also find I lose more efficiently (and without risk of undereating) when I count, which is one reason I have liked counting from time to time (enjoying data and being motivated by it is a bigger reason -- same reason I'm playing with a Garmin for training although I can certainly train fine without it). I just get irritated by things like the OP which suggest there's something wrong with counting or people who do it. Obviously lots of people are successful at not gaining weight or losing weight without doing so.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    And if you don't believe in calorie counting why are you on this website or using the app?

I love it when someone asks this question, as if calorie counting is the only reason for using this website. How about the "fitness" aspect of the website that the activity section brings with it. Or for those who did use it for weight loss at one time and have since switched to maintenance and able to do so successfully without counting calories. Are you saying those of us who maintain without calorie counting shouldn't come to this site anymore?

The post you are responding to was probably aimed at the OP (or even more likely, the silly title of this thread) and is, IMO, fair given the title and, in particular, the OP's subsequent posts.

That said, I think there are good reasons to use this site if you don't count, like the community and forums, if one enjoys them. The fitness/activity tracker really isn't, as there are loads of better ones out there. (Although to be honest I think Cronometer is a better calorie counter, at least for my needs. So I'm here because of the community elements myself, and because of the history I have built up.)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    It's rather simple. Some have to, some don't. The one's that have to probably wish they did not. The one's that don't have to don't understand that feeling. There is no one way. To say, "I don't believe in counting calories" is silly. If you don't have to be thankful...

Now this I do agree with 100% and goes along with my post above about calorie counting being an individual thing.

I misunderstood your post, because it sounded as if you were saying those two tools were all anyone needed (which would have been similar to the OP, which suggests there's something wrong with anyone who needs to count calories, as well as the general point of this thread).

I happen to agree that not everyone needs to count calories. I've lost weight without counting calories myself, although I do need to do other things like be very mindful about what I eat and monitor it in other ways, like portion size and no snacking. I also find I lose more efficiently (and without risk of undereating) when I count, which is one reason I have liked counting from time to time (enjoying data and being motivated by it is a bigger reason -- same reason I'm playing with a Garmin for training although I can certainly train fine without it). I just get irritated by things like the OP which suggest there's something wrong with counting or people who do it. Obviously lots of people are successful at not gaining weight or losing weight without doing so.

I posted that pic to show that there are other methods that work to lose, gain, or maintain weight besides calorie counting. I absolutely do NOT feel that there is anything wrong with people who do need or want to count calories. I simply don't believe that it's the right fit for everyone.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016

The post you are responding to was probably aimed at the OP (or even more likely, the silly title of this thread) and is, IMO, fair given the title and, in particular, the OP's subsequent posts.

That said, I think there are good reasons to use this site if you don't count, like the community and forums, if one enjoys them. The fitness/activity tracker really isn't, as there are loads of better ones out there. (Although to be honest I think Cronometer is a better calorie counter, at least for my needs. So I'm here because of the community elements myself, and because of the history I have built up.)

Yep, I've started using Cronometer to track my food/calorie intake and love it. I'm just here for the forums :) I've been a part of a lot of different weight loss/nutrition/fitness sites and hands down MFP has the most active forum area, with the most active participants. I've found that staying active here has helped me keep my mind in the game during maintenance.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yep, I've started using Cronometer to track my food/calorie intake and love it. I'm just here for the forums :) I've been a part of a lot of different weight loss/nutrition/fitness sites and hands down MFP has the most active forum area, with the most active participants. I've found that staying active here has helped me keep my mind in the game during maintenance.

Cronometer is amazing. I've been playing around with it for a few weeks now and it is incredibly helpful.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016

Cronometer is amazing. I've been playing around with it for a few weeks now and it is incredibly helpful.

I had tried it a while back and didn't care for it, but they've really updated it since then! I stopped using MFP's system a few weeks ago and started doing a paper food log. But that method wasn't clicking with me. Re-set up an account at Cronometer and I'm really enjoying it. I've never paid attention to macros and such, but I love their layout so much that now I'm spending a ridiculous amount playing around with them lol.
  • lemurcat12
    What I like about it is that it's so much easier to find good entries for whole foods.

Also, the layout is great.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    What I like about it is that it's so much easier to find good entries for whole foods.

Also, the layout is great.

Yes, I agree. The curated database is *so much easier* to work with. I have had to create a handful of foods (mostly products for the vegan market), but since most of the rest of my foods are in the USDA database, it's a snap to track and create recipes.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    I don't count my calories as much anymore. But that is because for two years I counted and measured everything. Now that I just maintain my weight, I can afford to guestimate, but I still weigh myself every other day, and keep a rough count in my head. I am able to do this because, as someone who actually spent a lot of time meticulously count, I can guestimate much better than the average person, much better than anyone who has never spent a significant time counting calories, and certainly better than someone who doesn't "believe" that counting calories is important when it comes to managing one's weight, diet, and fitness goals.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    If one does not count how are they going to learn if they are over eating or not
    I don't count calories. Using these 2 items has worked out well for me. As of now they are telling me that I need to gain 4 pounds. I would imagine others can use these tools to see if they are overeating as well.....
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

That's a pretty time delayed method to find out if you're overeating. And one could argue that the time it takes you to measure and weigh yourself is no shorter than the time it takes to weigh your food.

How so? It hasn't been "delayed" for me at all. It only takes 2 minutes of my time once a week to weigh in and take measurements. I'll bet it takes a lot longer than that to weigh food and log it everyday. I'm not saying anything in favor of or against calorie counting. However, I don't think it's necessarily the only method to see whether or not you're gaining weight, and it certainly isn't necessary for everyone.

Weight is an "outcome".
    What you eat is an "input".
    Looking only at outcome is a terrible way to get somewhere.

It's like saying, when driving somewhere I don't look at the "inputs": where I am, where I am headed, a map. I only look at the destination once I've driven there. Did I get there? Nope? I'll try to fix it next week when I drive somewhere else.

I'd rather have a map.

Sorry, but I disagree, as there are some people out there who only need to look at a map once and arrive perfectly fine at there destination. Much the same way as those of us who don't need to count calories to lose or gain weight. While I do use a tape measure. Even that isn't necessary since we can see what is going on by how our clothes fit us. Getting baggy (lost weight, getting snug (gained weight). Weighing in more than once a week is overkill "for me" (not speaking for others) since weight can fluctuate by as much as 3 pounds for me depending on different circumstances. If others need to weigh in more often than that, I say do what works for you..... Now as far as calorie counting being necessary or not for weight loss. Again, it's up to the individual. What I posted above works for me, ymmv.

I'm glad you've found what works for you, but my observation after reading your post and method is that you must not wear anything stretchy. It's really hard to tell if you've put on weight (unless it's a lot--and then it's too late). Since I like stretchy stuff, I wouldn't be able to tell for awhile.
  • dyylajoi
    dyylajoi Posts: 11 Member
    I like counting calories because it gives me a lot more certainty about whether I'm eating under maintenance. Different things work for different people. I think for me the biggest challenge when it comes to dieting is forgiving myself when I make a mistake and continuing on rather than believing I'll never succeed and giving up for the rest of the week.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    If one does not count how are they going to learn if they are over eating or not
    I don't count calories. Using these 2 items has worked out well for me. As of now they are telling me that I need to gain 4 pounds. I would imagine others can use these tools to see if they are overeating as well.....
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

That's a pretty time delayed method to find out if you're overeating. And one could argue that the time it takes you to measure and weigh yourself is no shorter than the time it takes to weigh your food.

How so? It hasn't been "delayed" for me at all. It only takes 2 minutes of my time once a week to weigh in and take measurements. I'll bet it takes a lot longer than that to weigh food and log it everyday. I'm not saying anything in favor of or against calorie counting. However, I don't think it's necessarily the only method to see whether or not you're gaining weight, and it certainly isn't necessary for everyone.

Weight is an "outcome".
    What you eat is an "input".
    Looking only at outcome is a terrible way to get somewhere.

It's like saying, when driving somewhere I don't look at the "inputs": where I am, where I am headed, a map. I only look at the destination once I've driven there. Did I get there? Nope? I'll try to fix it next week when I drive somewhere else.

I'd rather have a map.

Sorry, but I disagree, as there are some people out there who only need to look at a map once and arrive perfectly fine at there destination. Much the same way as those of us who don't need to count calories to lose or gain weight. While I do use a tape measure. Even that isn't necessary since we can see what is going on by how our clothes fit us. Getting baggy (lost weight, getting snug (gained weight). Weighing in more than once a week is overkill "for me" (not speaking for others) since weight can fluctuate by as much as 3 pounds for me depending on different circumstances. If others need to weigh in more often than that, I say do what works for you..... Now as far as calorie counting being necessary or not for weight loss. Again, it's up to the individual. What I posted above works for me, ymmv.

Yep. Just wanted to add that periodically monitoring key indicators is an excellent way to keep tabs on a process that is in control. It makes sense to me that one may not need to measure as frequently
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

So, does that thing tell me if it's fat or water I'm retaining and I do or don't need to cut down? Nope. I would know that if I knew exactly what my CICO has been and there was a gain.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    needernt wrote: »
    when ou get fat it means you should lower your carbs. that easy.
    No, just no. I lost 80+lbs including carbs in my diet. Lol.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    wpceh7ebifpx.jpeg

So, does that thing tell me if it's fat or water I'm retaining and I do or don't need to cut down? Nope. I would know that if I knew exactly what my CICO has been and there was a gain.

No, but if you're in maintenance, the various items learned during the several months of weight loss it took to get there might. Surely it's not just the logging that tells you to ignore 4 lbs of overnight weight gain, for instance
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I haven't read the replies but the ideas expressed in the article are pretty much exactly how I feel about calorie counting and especially about trying to limit to a certain number of calories each day. I do better with the type of philosophy described in the article. I just watch portion sizes and think about what nutrients and food content/source. Basically just pay attention to what I'm eating.

I don't necessarily think this is the best approach for everyone, but I know it is for me.