I dropped my phone running a 5k (pic)

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Not a race, just a few miles around the neighborhood. One thing I like about running (compared to riding a bike) is that you don't need specific clothes. Well, it turns out you need good pockets though.

Be careful with yours!

26579079160_48021c2ae9_o_d.jpg

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    I use a flipbelt to carry my phone, keys, cards, etc. Around $30 and super comfortable - and guarantees to keep your phone safe!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Yes, I've dropped mine a few times... one time turned out pretty much like yours, but the others I was much luckier! One time it fell out in the middle of a 4 lane road and I had to stand and watch trucks, cars and more drive past before it was clear for me to retrieve it... and there were only a few cracks.
    You'd think I'd learn though!

I tried the flipbelt and found it not a good solution for me... too chunky, and very hot and sweaty, so I'm back to looking for running tights with good pockets. I'm OK at the moment now it's cold in the mornings, my running jacket has a nice secure internal pocket that keep it safe but in a few (well, 4 or 5 anyway) months when it's warm enough in the morning to not need a jacket I'll have a problem again.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I have a Samsung S5 Active, put a military grade shockproof case and a glass shield on it. I've dropped it several times and no issues. Does it look sleek and elegant, most people would say not, but it's set up for real world use.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I use a flipbelt to carry my phone, keys, cards, etc. Around $30 and super comfortable - and guarantees to keep your phone safe!

Twins.
  • NorthCascades
    I paid $80 for the phone and got a year and a half out of it. Beth made me buy a new one before I get a glass splinter in my thumb. New one is definitely much nicer.

I'll probably leave it home when I run. I don't listen to music while I'm out, and I have a GPS watch, so there's really no need to have it with me.
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Commiserations.

May I ask why does anyone run with a mobile phone if running close to home?

Having said that, I've come across a sturdy waterproof iPhone case that mounts onto a bike as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00UXMQXL0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1463418857&sr=8-3&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=topeak+iphone+6+bike+mount+waterproof&dpPl=1&dpID=51ML-O95P6L&ref=plSrch

All the best!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Commiserations.

Having said that, I've come across a sturdy waterproof iPhone case that mounts onto a bike as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00UXMQXL0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1463418857&sr=8-3&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=topeak+iphone+6+bike+mount+waterproof&dpPl=1&dpID=51ML-O95P6L&ref=plSrch

All the best!

Listen to streaming music
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I run with my phone because I use runkeeper to track my run/distance/pace/speed.
    On the treadmill I use my phone to listen to music.
  • NorthCascades

My watch battery drains faster when it's out of range of the phone. Plus, you never know when it might be useful.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Ouch! that phone has road rash. ;-)

I don't run with mine, I leave it at home or in my vehicle. If you do want to keep it handy while running, you might consider wearing a tri top. Since its made of close fitting material (similar to cycling tops) and the pocket is located in the lower middle of your back, it won't bounce around much.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Otter Box phone case, I've dropped my phone many times without damage.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Commiserations.

All the best!

Listen to streaming music

This plus on occasion taking pictures of the sunrise/animals/oddities. I take it some days. Others I do not.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Commiserations.

All the best!

gps, runkeeper, music, emergencies....
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    I second the OtterBox, and also use an arm band to hold my phone. Keeps it close by and pretty easy to access.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I keep a glass screensaver on my iPhone 6S screen and dropped it face down many times. I've never cracked my screen's since I started using them. My son has dropped his 5S many times as well and did manage to crack the glass screensaver, which was easily replaced for free due to the lifetime warranty in it.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    One thing I like about running (compared to riding a bike) is that you don't need specific clothes.

If I learned a thing durring my running adventure half a year ago once I passed 5k distance is that you do need running specific clothes. You do need them so very much. Your body will thank you
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    I just got a cheapo 8 dollar running belt.

Not fancy but totally does the job.