Motivating Myself

Options
UGH!!!! I'm just so frustrated! I'm so jealous of the people that can motivate themselves to lose weight! It hurts when my mom gives me a disappointing look when she looks at my body. I feel like I let her down, and I don't like that feeling. Its making me reach my breaking point. I want to make my mom proud again. Of course I know she loves me, but I still want to make her happy and proud of me. I want to lose this weight not only for her, but for me, too. BUT I JUST CAN'T!! No matter what, I'm always off track!!! Its just so frustrating that I want to hole up in a corner and cry! Guys PLEASE motivate me please! Evidently, I can't motivate myself!

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Keep telling yourself you can't and you never will.

You might as well try, because the time will pass anyway.

"Lack of motivation" is yet another excuse.

Don't wait around for motivation. Just do it.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Whoops never mind double thread
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. That said, have you considered rewarding yourself for establishing certain habits? Logging MFP, weighing regularly, and exercising are all habits that may have a positive impact on your weight while not being directly tied to your weight. That is, you're not rewarding yourself for losing a certain number of pounds, which can seem like an insurmountable task.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    (I'm just gonna copy and paste my response to another thread)

I started using MFP for no particular reason and it worked, so I kept going. No motivation necessary.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It's far too hard to start the difficult and emotional process of losing weight when you are feeling guilty and hopeless and focusing on someone else's perceived feelings about your body. You need to make this about you, before you start a diet. Start with those issues, and just log what you eat for now...
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A therapist would be able to help you figure out why you are doing what you are doing and your relationship with your mom. I am really sorry you are hurting.

"Motivation" is like "inspiration" for artists -- not always there. You have to make it a habit. You do whatever it is by just bucking up and doing it because you have to. Seriously. Sometimes it's fun; sometimes it's a PITA and the last thing you want to do and you do it anyway.

Do you want it? Then do it. It really is as simple as that.

Create a plan. Make it a habit. Take control and make a list of things that will get you where you want to be and that will help you succeed. Post that sucker on your wall. Tell yourself that you will succeed. Weigh and log everything you eat so you have data. You will have good days and bad days, and it's all OK. Keep going. And remember that this is a long-game. There is very little instant gratification, and weight loss isn't linear, which is why you can't look for outside sources for motivation.

You do it because you want to, and you don't let yourself quit.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Losing weight by counting calories takes only a few things

1.Honesty - log everything you eat , exactly how much you eat
    2. Consistency - do this every single day. Don't skip meals or days
    3. Perseverence - make it a habit, like brushing your hair or teeth
    4. Sacrifice - food is delicious. Eating less of tasty things is a sacrifice, whether you have a smaller meal, forgo a treat, or spend more time being active.

Motivation is irrelevant. When I stop eating because I'm out of calories, or will run out to soon in the day; or have half a cup of ice cream instead of a big bowl, motivation is not important. I answer to myself, and I decided that I want and need to be healthier, and that meant losing weight. For me.

Now...

I am saddened when you say you want your mom to be proud of you and you feel you have disappointed her. I truly hope she is already proud of you for other things. If you know she loves you, then it must be so. It sounds like you and she need a heart to heart talk.

I know if my daughter said what you posted, I would gather her in my arms with tears in my eyes and tell her all the things I am so proud of her for. And listen to her. And then if she wanted to lose weight for her health, and she was overweight, I'd try to help and support her in her goals. And when she succeeded I'd be proud of her again, but not because she lost weight. If be proud of her for accomplishing something that she set her will to do that required honesty, commitment, Perseverence, and sacrifice. I truly hope your mom feels the same way.

Beat wishes.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I can empathise. My Mother had her own weight issues and being thin was the best achievement I could have to her, or so it seemed.

The thing that works for me the best (and won't be popular on here) is to dissociate myself from food. I really do believe 99% of the time that -'its just food'. Its fuel- end of. There are more interesting, more productive ways to spend my time other than eating. It don't fetishize food, I don't feel deprived not to have cake (its just gonna be poop anyway).

I don't socially eat. It took a few occasions for my friends to accept it - now its fine. I don't drink either- it lowers my resolve.

I don't binge (okay, things get a bit 'naughty' during PMS- but its not a regular occurrence). I don't find excuses to eat, I don't use food as entertainment or comfort. -it's JUST food.

Good luck
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    UGH!!!! I'm just so frustrated! I'm so jealous of the people that can motivate themselves to lose weight! It hurts when my mom gives me a disappointing look when she looks at my body. I feel like I let her down, and I don't like that feeling. Its making me reach my breaking point. I want to make my mom proud again. Of course I know she loves me, but I still want to make her happy and proud of me. I want to lose this weight not only for her, but for me, too. BUT I JUST CAN'T!! No matter what, I'm always off track!!! Its just so frustrating that I want to hole up in a corner and cry! Guys PLEASE motivate me please! Evidently, I can't motivate myself!

First of I don't like your mum. My mum only mentioned my weight few times, then we had a talk. I made her understand it's my own body, and I am feeling good, if I want to change I will but not because someone is pressuring me.

If above doesn't work on her, but it should, just ignore her staring and comments. It's not her body to decide.

It's easy to give advice about habits like people above do, but it's harder to follow. I can give you only an idea, which have worked for me. Since I am obsessed with food, I decided it to be my mission to use that obsession to be healthy use the weapon of destruction I created, embrace this obsession. Don't change what you like to do.

I look up new recipes constantly, try to come up with ideas to cook. If you're like me and this is your obsession as well give me a shout. I am not a great motivator, but I might try and help. I have a few cooking tips as well if you'd like :smile:
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Sucks that your mum does that. That's not encouraging at all.

Discipline > motivation. You don't have to be fired up and excited every moment of every day; learning to do what needs to be done regardless of what you feel like it is one of the best life skills you can learn. And it is extremely applicable to fitness.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

OK ... try approaching it the way I did.

I was convinced I couldn't lose weight ... same as you. You can't lose weight. No matter what you do you will not lose weight. Right?

In order to prove I couldn't lose weight, I joined MyFitnessPal.

I entered my details into MyFitnessPal ... chose sedentary as my activity level ... chose 0.5 kg as the amount I wanted to lose each week. Haha. As if that were possible.

MFP gave me 1250 calories to work with. (Plus 50% of my exercise calories.)

Right. I was going to stick to 1250 calories like glue for 5 weeks. I was going to weigh and measure and log everything. No one could accuse me of somehow cheating. In order to prove I couldn't lose weight, I was going to be the very picture of accuracy.

For 10 days, I was absolutely right. No weight loss. Not a gram.

Ha! I was showing them. And I was also going to quit this nonsense when I reached the 3 week point and hadn't lost anything.

By the 3 week point I had lost 3 kg. By the 5 week point I had lost 5 kg. By the 16 week point I had lost 15 kg. 8 months in ... I had lost 25 kg.

Guess I could lose the weight after all. :grin:
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    Discipline > motivation. You don't have to be fired up and excited every moment of every day; learning to do what needs to be done regardless of what you feel like it is one of the best life skills you can learn. And it is extremely applicable to fitness.

Gold right there.