No way to set cardio by distance instead of time?

Archercc
Archercc Posts: 37 Member
I track my daily walks by the distance we cover and not the time it takes but I don't see an option for that, am I missing something?

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,985 Member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for asking the question. It's something I've been wondering also. I'm amazed it doesn't track distance, that I could find either (but only been on this a few days). I mean a two hour walk going 2 miles is a very different calorie burn than a 2 hour walk going 6-8 miles.

Feels like the exercise tracking is almost an afterthought for this app, as you get no calorie burn for strength training either. (I mean, this app was recommended to me as a good food macro tracker, not for its fitness tracking.) I tried one of their 'fitness' apps hoping it would be better, but it seemed to be more for those with GPS trackers, than for actual all around fitness tracking, so I dumped it (but maybe I tried the wrong one since they have a variety of them).

Don't know if the premium plan allows for better tracking. Maybe someone who has been here longer can enlighten both of us!
  • Archercc
    Archercc Posts: 37 Member
    My problem is none of the apps are for Ipad, only Iphone. I don't have a smart phone so i can't use any of the apps they suggest to link to your account.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    I started using RunKeeper. It maps your walks or runs and calculates calories based on distance, speed and elevation gains. It ties into MFP and automatically logs the calories that you burn during a walk here, in your diary.

I'm sure a lot of people here use it and know more than I do about its accuracy.

• CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Archercc wrote: »
    My problem is none of the apps are for Ipad, only Iphone. I don't have a smart phone so i can't use any of the apps they suggest to link to your account.

I have a cheap LG smartphone and Runkeeper works with it (with a glitch now and then) and also ties into MFP
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited May 2016
    I use MapMyRun, it tracks my runs and talks to MFP. You need *both* time and distance to get a calories burned estimate, though. MFP uses time and mph, so it does estimate the distance, kind of.

I saw your edit about no phone - you can use the MapMyRun by putting in your route online, and your start and end time.

Or if you always know the distance, just time yourself with a watch or by looking at the clock when you start and get home.