Fat Shaming in Disney Movies

Replies

• khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Exactly! Despite less than .01% of the male population being able to achieve that level of physicality (with supplementing no less), its absolutely ridiculous they chose to portray him as a villain. If anything, Beauty and the Beast clearly establishes Gaston as the victim of societial standards forcing him into gender stereotypes.

Now I feel bad for all the poor beautiful people. Life is so difficult....

Poor Charlize Theron. *tear*
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    So, I guess, if everyone is going to be politically correct, the next Magic Mike sequel should include Val Kilmer, John Goodman, Steven Seagal, Jon Favreau, Brendan Frasier and Mathew Perry?

I wonder how it will do at the box office? Maybe, just maybe, casting is related to what viewer's are watching.

They're doing an Expendables sequel?
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    So, I guess, if everyone is going to be politically correct, the next Magic Mike sequel should include Val Kilmer, John Goodman, Steven Seagal, Jon Favreau, Brendan Frasier and Mathew Perry?

I wonder how it will do at the box office? Maybe, just maybe, casting is related to what viewer's are watching.

Is it weird that I crush on John Goodman a tad?
  • Hold on...
    Are you saying that instead of trying to eat better and exercise, I could have just browbeaten women into thinking I was attractive at 290 pounds?
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    I thought they did a good job with Lilo and Stitch, the characters weren't the typical super skinny princess types and the characters were fantastic. Fun fact - Brave was the first time they had to animate curly hair on a princess and that process took months. For the longest time they avoided curly hair just for animation reasons.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

I'd watch that.

Oh, wait - I kinda already did. It was called, The Full Monty.

Wait, what?
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Princess Jasmine's head is bigger than her hip.

Yeah she did have a big ol head.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    incisron wrote: »
    At first I thought Pocahontas was a movie about tolerance, till it got to the part where it said: "Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest / Come taste the sun sweet berries of the earth." Basically it's saying we have to run and get exercise and eat nothing but twigs and berries. .

I feel like Pocahontas is the *only* princess out there who gave you a clear fitness plan: eat only berries/trail run. You choose to reject it. That's on you.

It's far better than Belle's pushing of diet books on the masses. Sure honey, we'll all ignore that you had freaking furniture planning and making all your meals for you, and did hours of cardio running from either the beast or the deranged mass of villagers with pitchforks. It's the books.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited May 2016
    You could always watch Sesame Street. They have characters of all shapes and sizes. :wink:
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    Oh wait, are we really getting offended over cartoons?

welcome to 2016. we get offended over everything

Amen!!!!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    but if someone emulates a cartoon and they end up hurting themselves then isn't that just evolution where the stupid ones die off

This is why I like you!
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member

Is it weird that I crush on John Goodman a tad?

No weirder than my tiny crush on Iggy Pop.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    It sounds like there is some insecurity there that will come out no matter what show you watch. I suggest you take a good look at yourself and find out why you are really so upset about this. Of all the things in the world to worry about, this should not be one of them. I mean Trump or Hillary- can it get any worse?
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    This post may not be serious but it sure is fun. All is not serious on the forums, they are fun also. This is refreshing from would you or would you not with the person above you!
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    This is a strange discussion! And agree I hate that we are so PC these days. I am overweight, and I am ashamed. I am trying to do something about it, but pissed I got this way. WHO CARES.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member

unrelated but i have been trying to think of Jon Favreau's name for days! thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    edited May 2016
    incisron wrote: »
    All the Disney princesses are fit and beautiful. It's not fair. When people complained about the stereotypes Disney princesses fit into, instead of really fixing the problem, they just replaced the traditional dainty princess with Pocahontas, a woman with an athletic figure who jumps off cliffs and swims through rivers while singing underwater. Dont they think it will make us fat people feel bad? At first I thought Pocahontas was a movie about tolerance, till it got to the part where it said: "Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest / Come taste the sun sweet berries of the earth." Basically it's saying we have to run and get exercise and eat nothing but twigs and berries. I feel like Disney is a poor company.
    Guess we should ban comic books, shows with nothing but fit people on them, and dance productions too? With the exception of health issues, people have control on how fat or lean they want to be. It's usually a matter of how important it is to themselves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png