Veggies for people who don't like veggies

So I'm not a veggie fan, and raw veggies seem to give me stomach aches. Anyone have any recipies or alternatives that could help fill my hunger?
I'm currently breastfeeding so I'm making sure I get enough calories that it doesn't effect my milk supply but I'm still finding myself hungry (especially at night when it's part hunger and part exhaustion of having a 3 year old and 3 month old).

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    My kids love it when I put the veggies in mashed potatoes
  • LewisLal
    LewisLal Posts: 20 Member
    A smoothie made from whole fruit almond milk and a handful of spinach or kale. I works for me.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    I did the smoothies before and they usually left me hungry. Id do frozen berries with spinach, almond milk, flax seed and oj.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Add some protein to your smoothies, protein powder, egg whites, PB2... it will help keep you full longer. Also, if you don't like raw veggies, you can eat them cooked. Roasted are awesome; I also like them on the grill
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Maybe look at some vegetarian or vegan recipes, these are usually well considered, so as to make them tasty and interesting without meat or perhaps dairy. Mexican and Indian dishes hide vegetables well as well, due to their super tasty sauces. My other favourites are bean and vegetable chilli, cauliflower/broccoli cheese bake, soup, vegetable sheppards pie, mushroom stroganoff.
  • pazmiguela
    pazmiguela Posts: 5 Member
    Do you have time to cook? You can make them interesting. For example make Korean Cauliflower where you dip the cauliflower in flour batter, fry and dip in sweet and spicy sauce after. But calories are definitely higher.

Try using dips like hummus?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I prefer the flavor of roasted vegetables. Just spread them out on a sheet pan, drizzle a little olive oil or use cooking spray and use whatever spices you choose and roast in the oven until soft and brown.

I like doing that with carrots, zucchini, squash, onions, peppers, etc. The variety is endless.
  • DaniCanadian
    pazmiguela wrote: »
    Do you have time to cook? You can make them interesting. For example make Korean Cauliflower where you dip the cauliflower in flour batter, fry and dip in sweet and spicy sauce after. But calories are definitely higher.

Try using dips like hummus?

Not so much at the moment just with the youngest only being 3 months still. I'm also challenged with having to make food for a 3 year old and my husbandtgo eat and I generally end up making something separate for myself.
    For roasting veggies, what spices are good? I've been doing the basics like onion powder, garlic, Italian seasoning and paprika but I'm getting tired of that.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    if you wanna spice up your veggies use flavorgod. It is so good, healthy organic and it tastes amazing, ranging from garlic flavor to pizza flavor lol. try a veggie stir fry with chicken. if your looking for a snack you could also steam some broccoli, and eat it throughout the day with a small amount of ranch if you don't like the plainness
  • DaniCanadian
    if you wanna spice up your veggies use flavorgod. It is so good, healthy organic and it tastes amazing, ranging from garlic flavor to pizza flavor lol. try a veggie stir fry with chicken. if your looking for a snack you could also steam some broccoli, and eat it throughout the day with a small amount of ranch if you don't like the plainness

Where do they sell that?
    Broccoli = my arch nemesis...
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Choose a veggie high in fiber. I really like roasted broccoli and cauliflower drizzled in olive oil and cooked with garlic. You can sneak veggies in pizza too.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited May 2016
    I love vegetables but broccoli is iffy for me.

Try putting frozen cauliflower in mac n cheese, just throw it in after the noodles are boiled to stop the noodles from cooking, then once they thaw drain all and add the cheese sauce, that is so good, my kids will pick out the cauliflower to eat instead of the noodles.

Another vote for roasted vegetables - my stepson does asparagus in the oven with olive oil and parmesan cheese. If you are doing root vegetables, rosemary is great.

Oddly, raw turnips are pretty good sliced up and dipped in ranch or whatever. I would not have believed it, but they are.

Omelettes with vegetables are nice - sometimes I'll do corn, jalepenos, tomato, chipotle salsa.

Why are you making separate meals for everyone? Stop that! You will burn out. Make healthy stuff you like and serve that to everyone.

Oh also - dieting doesn't affect the milk supply, it may affect your health if you don't eat enough but as long as you drink water, you will make good milk, your body will take what it needs. We were dirt poor with the first two and the baby was the only one who got enough to eat some of the time. Not eating doesn't slow down the milk.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member

Where do they sell that?
    Broccoli = my arch nemesis...

aw I used to hate asparagus but it has since grown on me after I found out the huge benefits it reaps! as far as flavorgod it is online only.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Roasted: Carrots with cinnamon, brussels sprouts with garlic, asparagus and Italian dressing, green beans with balsamic, broccoli with sesame oil, garlic, and soy sauce, the possibilities are endless!

Bell peppers are mild and sweet. Stir fry maybe? You can add broccoli, mushrooms, snap peas, etc to this as well.

Do you grill? Asparagus and other veggies are great on the grill too!
  • versusveritas
    versusveritas Posts: 20 Member
    Everyone has left such great tips! Just know that you don't need to force vegetables on yourself if you hate them. I not a huge fan of vegetables and I got super discouraged forcing them into my diet. So now, I don't worry about them - there are some salads and other things with vegetables I like and eat regularly - but I eat a lot of protein and supplement my fiber. I'm much happier eating what I like and not what I think I *should* eat. That said, if you really want to eat more veggies that's great too!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    roast them with a bit of olive oil and a high heat. S&P. Yum.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    I don't get how people do not like vegetables, especially if they are food aficionados. Do they eat meats and candies most of their life?

Vegetables far surpass meats in term of textures, aroma, colors, shapes and forms. It's super great eating most of them.

I feel I'm running out of types of vegetables to try. Whenever I go to a new supermarket, especially different ethnic ones, I always try to look for vegetables that I haven't seen, tried before. There's something wholesome about vegetables. Meats are very one dimensional and sometimes can be quite disgusting.

Today my coworker brought in large batch of some greenie plant that she said her mom grew organically. She boiled it at her desk! She offered me some to try and I didnt' hesitated. :)
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    I think potatoes is pretty much always the answer here. You can live off just them, even on Mars!
  • DaniCanadian
    Everyone has left such great tips! Just know that you don't need to force vegetables on yourself if you hate them. I not a huge fan of vegetables and I got super discouraged forcing them into my diet. So now, I don't worry about them - there are some salads and other things with vegetables I like and eat regularly - but I eat a lot of protein and supplement my fiber. I'm much happier eating what I like and not what I think I *should* eat. That said, if you really want to eat more veggies that's great too!

Definitely lots of good tips here, I didn't even think of bell peppers or potatoes and I love those...score one for mom brain.
    It's super discouraging trying to force veggies on myself. I think I'll stick to roasted potatoes with onions and bell peppers and expand when I have more time.

Thanks for everyone's tips :-)
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I love broccoli and cheddar omelettes or a whole wheat english muffin with egg, avocado and salsa