What's your favourite type of food?

Hi guys,

I've been on hiatus as I adjusted to a number of life changes but am slowly clambering onto the wagon again, and number one on my bad habits hit list is just grabbing whatever is in the fridge for dinner. I'm working my way through Pinterest recipes pages, but I'd like to look up specific dishes or types of food. So my question is: What's your favourite food? Any countries I should look to for cooking inspiration? I do have coeliac disease, but am happy to experiment to make regular dishes gluten free.

Thanks!

Replies

• Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    My favourite food is chocolate :D but on a serious note I really love the recipes on skinnytaste.com
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    I really enjoy curry. It's usually a little high in fat but j use lite coconut milk to make it more macro friendly.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Oh boy. A shorter list would be foods that I don't like. Some of my go-to foods:
    1. Soups (sweet potato is a favourite)
    2. Curries
    3. Tacos (I will often just have mine as a salad on a giant bed of lettuce rather than in a wrap)
    4. Fish (try cooking it in parchment paper packets)
    5. Anything I can grill in the summer to avoid heating up the kitchen!
    6. Oatmeal (great as a filling breakfast or a fast lunch in a pinch)
    7. Eggs (omlettes, scrambled, hard boiled to eat on the go)
  • alexwilson7899
    alexwilson7899 Posts: 8 Member
    Lentils are my favorite weight loss foods and great replacement for high calorie meats
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Favorite type of food, that impossible to answer. I like tasty food, and the food I cook/make myself also has to be simple and easy to prepare. I like some sweet, some salty, some spicy food. Fresh, soft, crunchy, juicy, colorful. Comfort food. Satisfiyng. Exactly what, depends on what meal it is and what I ate last.

Sometimes I just don't understand. What are you asking for? You should be able to feel what you like yourself. Look for recipes for those meals/dishes. Then buy the ingredients for them, and cook.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    So many.

I love Indian and would love to learn to cook it better. Don't know how Pinterest is, but I have a book called 660 Curries that I keep wanting to work my way through. I'd also love to learn to cook Ethiopian, but make do with the restaurants.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You mean cultural food? Pretty much whatever I'm in the mood for, I just don't like Indian food.
  • nikkxjohnson
    nikkxjohnson Posts: 70 Member
    Indian is great! My go to when I don't want to cook is rice, beans, and salsa. I always have rice and beans in my fridge
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Curries and stirfries are my go to. Love them - you can bulk them out with masses of veg and then you don't even need noodles or rice with them.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    I think Mexican is the easiest to make. I end up making taco or fajita meat and using it in salad, sandwiches, stuffed bell peppers, etc. I also find I can make tacos out of fish, shrimp, chicken, ground turkey, lean ground beef etc.... and similar for fajitas, so I can make it a ton of different ways so I don't get sick of it.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Thanks, guys. I'm in a situation where, for most of my life, my favourite food has been "whatever is cheapest so I can pay my rent as well". Now that I'm better situated, I'm experimenting with different flavours and textures from different cultures, which I find makes me want to 1) eat [I'm a shocker for forgetting to eat - a throwback to less awesome times when I needed to stretch out food so I'd only have 1 or 2 meals a day] and 2) eat well. So, yeah, I'm kind of asking for cultural dishes.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    You should follow me on Pinterest @velma76 I have a pretty awesome Gluten Free board. I have made a lot of the recipes on there. The homemade pop tarts are FIRE. I make a nutella-fluff one that is amazing.
  • cjb3001
    cjb3001 Posts: 38 Member
    hmaddpear wrote: »
    Curries and stirfries are my go to. Love them - you can bulk them out with masses of veg and then you don't even need noodles or rice with them.

This. Curry and chilli are my go to as I just shove in whatever veg I have in the fridge so nothing goes off and because they are so rich and tasty with all the spices and they freeze so well it's great to just make big batches. If you've got calories to spare, defrost a chilli and have rice, sour cream and avocados, if you're short, have some over a baked sweet potato. Super versatile and slightly different each time!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Start with a site like Skinnytaste.

I don't really do cultural dishes that much, I'm more a protein+veggies+maybe some potato or rice kind of person. When I do, it's typically some kind of Mexican or Italian dish.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    This time of year is great for seasonal recipes. See what's freshest and on sale at the market, and then find recipes for it. That's the beauty of cell phones - I look up recipes while I'm in the market! I love fresh fish, and there are a million good ways to cook it, from simple poaching to something elaborate. You could probably spend a year eating a different fish dish every day.

I'm looking forward to fresh corn in the summer. I eat it plain (even raw sometimes!), and also cook with it. Corn soup, corn relish, corn fritters, cornbread (add fresh corn and jalapeno peppers to cornbread batter), just to name a few.

You're probably familiar with Chinese and Italian food, and maybe Indian. Try something a little different, like Greek, Middle Eastern, or South American. You could even look into different regions of the US.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Mexican and Italian. If I could alternate fajitas/pasta/pizza/tacos for the rest of my life I'd die happy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Thanks, guys. I'm in a situation where, for most of my life, my favourite food has been "whatever is cheapest so I can pay my rent as well". Now that I'm better situated, I'm experimenting with different flavours and textures from different cultures, which I find makes me want to 1) eat [I'm a shocker for forgetting to eat - a throwback to less awesome times when I needed to stretch out food so I'd only have 1 or 2 meals a day] and 2) eat well. So, yeah, I'm kind of asking for cultural dishes.

If you are interested, it's a great time to explore cookbooks and websites. I love cookbooks.

This is a beautiful book: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/dining/jerusalem-has-all-the-right-ingredients.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    So my question is: What's your favourite food?
    I heard Mario Batali say on TV that his favorite food is the kind somebody else cooks. That's how I feel because it happens so rarely.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    JShailen wrote: »
    Mexican and Italian. If I could alternate fajitas/pasta/pizza/tacos for the rest of my life I'd die happy.

I am all about this!!! And throw in a baked chicken breast, cooked in just about any fashion, and I am in HEAVEN!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    mexican, italian, southern soul foud/bbq... all the high calorie delciousness.