Annoyed to always eat on my own!!!

Hi,

I work on night shifts and have a special schedule. Consequently, I have been eating on my own in the last 5 months (it sounds a bit depressing). This makes me loose any desire to have a normal meal (i.e. with carbs, protein and fat). I have ended up having tiny healthy snack throughout the day. I would like to know whether there are other people like me and how they cope with that? Do you keep preparing normal meal? I have recently broken up with my gf and trying to keep it up.

As for the exercise, I am preparing for a half-marathon and try to run 5 times a week (e.g. a bit more than 50k as I am also walking a lot).

Finally, I am 6'4" and weight 12.5 st. I am a 28-year-old man. I don't think there is nothing to worry about the BMI and I am quite happy with my body at the moment.

Thanks for your comments,
Jamal

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    I eat most (all) meals alone too, and I had to just decide to stop snacking/grazing/semi-starve/mini-binge, and set up a structured meal plan. It's filled with food I truly enjoy, so it's not difficult to stick to. That said, there's nothing intrisically wrong with snacking or even grazing, and there are protocols for intermittent fasting, so it all boils down to whether you get in adequate nutrition, and that you like that way of eating.

Or maybe what you are missing, is the social bit. Can't you find someone and some time to share a meal with?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    If a bunch of healthy snacks work for you better than 3 traditional meals and you are eating enough then it's fine. We all have to do what works for us. Good luck with the run!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I also work a special schedule so eat alone for most of all my meals.
    What helps me is preplanning and pre-packing !
    Sit down and write yourself a list of well balanced foods /meals that you want for the week. Then also write a list of snack items you wish to eat too. Buy the items and prepare the foods. Prepack them in individual containers so they will be ready for you when you need them. Then before work just throw some of your meals and snacks in a bag and take it along with you. Eating alone sucks but you must eat ! Undereating is just as bad as overeating! Concentrate on your goals and remember that a well balanced diet is important.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Hey kommodevaran,

Thanks for your message. Setting up a structured meal plan is very tough whilst working. For example, if you have the habit to eat your lunch everyday at 1pm and you have a 2-3 hour meeting planned between 12:00 and 14:00, you are not going to say to your manager: "Sorry I am having my lunch everyday at 1pm" lol. In my job it's not sporadic and happens on daily basis....

Jamal
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    if you're not feeling hungry and you're maintaining weight then keep doing what you're doing.

Your weight sounds low imo for being such a tall guy, my son is 6ft 3" and slim at 14 stone (he has alot of muscle mind you).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Hey kommodevaran,

Thanks for your message. Setting up a structured meal plan is very tough whilst working. For example, if you have the habit to eat your lunch everyday at 1pm and you have a 2-3 hour meeting planned between 12:00 and 14:00, you are not going to say to your manager: "Sorry I am having my lunch everyday at 1pm" lol. In my job it's not sporadic and happens on daily basis....

Jamal

Structured doesn't have to mean rigid. I eat what I like, but also when I like. So breakfast is after I get up, maybe I get my coffee first, or maybe not. Lunch 2 - 5 hours after breakfast. I feel structured when my dinner is eaten somewhere between 15.00 and 20.00. Evening meal should be eaten before midnight, but I don't always manage that.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Hey thorsmom01,

This is exactly what I am doing at the moment. I am packing my food and have them on my draw. Before attending a meeting/talking to someone and I know it may last hours, I take a quick healthy snack. I have ended up doing this throughout the day/night.

What I find the hardest is to eat behind a screen. How do you cope with this? Do you really eat on your own all the time?

Jamal
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I also work a special schedule so eat alone for most of all my meals.
    What helps me is preplanning and pre-packing !
    Sit down and write yourself a list of well balanced foods /meals that you want for the week. Then also write a list of snack items you wish to eat too. Buy the items and prepare the foods. Prepack them in individual containers so they will be ready for you when you need them. Then before work just throw some of your meals and snacks in a bag and take it along with you. Eating alone sucks but you must eat ! Undereating is just as bad as overeating! Concentrate on your goals and remember that a well balanced diet is important.

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    I used to work night shifts and always have just prepped as normal. All my food is preplanned and in Tupperware. Sometimes I warm it up and eat it together like a meal and sometimes I end up snacking on parts of it (eating the veggies at one sitting, the meat at another, etc). I think as long as you are eating enough (doesn't sound like you are likely eating too much) then you should be fine. Personally I think it is usually easier to eat healthy without someone else in the picture. You are eating for you and when and if you are hungry rather than being dictated by someone else's hunger, cravings, or habits. While eating alone may not always be preferable, use your single time to really dial in your nutrition to fuel the half marathon and any other goals you may have. Good luck!
  • Jamal_Guildford
    if you're not feeling hungry and you're maintaining weight then keep doing what you're doing.

Your weight sounds low imo for being such a tall guy, my son is 6ft 3" and slim at 14 stone (he has alot of muscle mind you).

Hey RunRutheeRun,

Thanks for your message. I may look a bit slim but I am happy with this. I work in offices and may spend the rest of my life between four walls and a screen so I will end up getting bigger at some point.

Out of interest, you seem to enjoy running. How much do you run per week? Are you planning to attend any event?

Jamal
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member

What I find the hardest is to eat behind a screen. How do you cope with this? Do you really eat on your own all the time?

Do you mean that you're eating at your desk in a cubicle? I'd find that depressing too, if it was all the time. Did your eating habits at work change when your relationship ended? Did you used to get out of the office for meal times? Try doing that again, even if it's by yourself. A change of scenery will make you feel better, even if it just means going to the break room and reading or streaming some video while you eat. Best yet, if you can, is to get outside for a few minutes, even at night (if the area's safe, that is!).

There are other employees working at the same time you are, so try to join some of them for meals, too. I don't know what your work environment is like, but it be nice for everyone to have a meal together once a month or so (pot luck, or bring-your-own, or everyone orders in).

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Having eaten my own cooking for several decades, I feel obliged to point out a potential pitfall. You inevitably acquire a taste for your own cooking but are never quite sure if it's because you have become an extraordinary cook, or just got used to your own slop.
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    I live alone, and i do tend to cook something and have it for a couple of days in a row, it's hard to buy just enough for one person, ie I'll make a huge potential of Greek green beans and that will last for days, just add a bit of chicken one day or fish another day saves time as well