Nutricious diet

Hi guys, I'm new to this, I don't know how to balance my diet very well and I'm trying desperately to lose weight. The more the better, currently at 14.2 stone (199lbs) but really would like to get down by atleast 12lbs asap. The more weight that I lose the better.
I'm struggling with diet, however I have started doing atleast 4 miles a day walking/jogging
Please help with food ideas etc

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    For weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit.it makes no difference as far as weight loss is concerned as to the foods you pick. As long as you consistently eat at a caloric deficit , you will lose weight.
    For overall health, I would suggest a well balanced wide variety diet . hit all your Macros or at least come close to hitting them .
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    What is it that you like to eat? Is there any reason to stay away from any type of food?

The reason why I'm asking is that your question is quite broad. I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2016
    you can lose 12 lbs in a week if you just cut out sodas, dairy, and sweets. Go to a Meat/Vegetable/fruit only diet. In a week to a week and a half you'll have lost 12lbs or more. Problem is, in 3-4 weeks you'll be right back to where you were.

If you want to lose weight effectively and keep it off, its a process, a very tedious one. Don't worry about what you eat, just worry about how many calories you eat. It's a simple math problem, and if you look at it as such, you will be successful.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    ^ Same. But I think if you cut out processed foods and pop and cut *down* on sugar, you'll reach your goal. Reach for a chicken breast instead of a hamburger. Add a salad with some kind of protein in for lunch. Think small, sustainable changes. 12lbs isn't much. You can do it!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Log everything you eat. Use mfp to set up your account with truthful information and realistic goals. Losing 2 lb per week is not realistic for most people, but I lose 3 many weeks. Once you tell mfp your age, height, weight and goals, mfp calculates your TDEE and subtracts the number of calories needed to reach the goal. On your food diary page, at the bottom, mfp lists your macro-nutrient goals. As you add food to the diary mfp adds up all the macro-nutrients and at the end of the day you can see how you did. If, for instance, at the end of your day carbs is red, meaning you went over, and protein is green, meaning you fell short, you can figure out which carbs to avoid and what proteins to add. It's like magic. Keep those numbers at the end of the day green and single digits, and you lose weight. Enjoy.

And then you'll wonder why you're not losing weight. Sodium. Menses. Stress. Injury. Those are four things that can cause a woman to retain water every day and some particular days. Just stay on the plan, keep your numbers green and single digits, and you will continue to lose fat. The scale will eventually agree, but you can't will it to obey you.
  • Chelleh616
    Chelleh616 Posts: 15 Member
    Log everything you eat. Use mfp to set up your account with truthful information and realistic goals. Losing 2 lb per week is not realistic for most people, but I lose 3 many weeks. Once you tell mfp your age, height, weight and goals, mfp calculates your TDEE and subtracts the number of calories needed to reach the goal. On your food diary page, at the bottom, mfp lists your macro-nutrient goals. As you add food to the diary mfp adds up all the macro-nutrients and at the end of the day you can see how you did. If, for instance, at the end of your day carbs is red, meaning you went over, and protein is green, meaning you fell short, you can figure out which carbs to avoid and what proteins to add. It's like magic. Keep those numbers at the end of the day green and single digits, and you lose weight. Enjoy.

And then you'll wonder why you're not losing weight. Sodium. Menses. Stress. Injury. Those are four things that can cause a woman to retain water every day and some particular days. Just stay on the plan, keep your numbers green and single digits, and you will continue to lose fat. The scale will eventually agree, but you can't will it to obey you.

I did manage to lose 1.5 stone in 2 months due to stress and so far my weight has fluctuated between 13.13 st to 14.2 since, that was 2 months ago when I discovered that.

My main aim is to hit 28-29 on a bmi scale for a career prospects which is why I want it to fall off yestarday haha, I'm still quite young and it's easy to keep it off right now but it's just making it drop off in the first place lol
    Thank you for the advice, been tracking my diet and exercise on MFP since Monday, I'm just struggling on what foods to eat.
    I constantly crave sugar and fruit doesn't seem to reduce the cravings :(
  • kpeterson539
    edited May 2016
    Honestly, it doesn't matter what you eat, it's how much. East the same stuff that you like but keep it within your calorie limits. There really isn't a specific food you should or should not eat. It's all about moderation.

Honestly, I have lost 60 pounds but eating McDonalds, chips, and soda. Along with that I also had salad, chicken breast, and broccoli.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    you can lose 12 lbs in a week if you just cut out sodas, dairy, and sweets. Go to a Meat/Vegetable/fruit only diet. In a week to a week and a half you'll have lost 12lbs or more. Problem is, in 3-4 weeks you'll be right back to where you were.

If you want to lose weight effectively and keep it off, its a process, a very tedious one. Don't worry about what you eat, just worry about how many calories you eat. It's a simple math problem, and if you look at it as such, you will be successful.

On what are you basing your estimate that someone could lose 12 lbs in a week? That is a calorie deficit of 42,000 calories, I'm not sure it is even possible for a person to be consuming that amount to begin with.
  • Chelleh616
    What is it that you like to eat? Is there any reason to stay away from any type of food?

The reason why I'm asking is that your question is quite broad. I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit.

I like to eat pretty much everything. I don't like fish unless it's sushi or covered in batter though. I'm not allergic to anything. Only food I really avoid is peas, sweetcorn and most of all celery because celery makes me throw up. I just never know what to eat, I like easy meals as I work 12 hour shifts, and we only have a microwave and toaster at work
    But I'm really bad at shopping
    I'm a chocoholic (oops!) And crave sugar Alot
    Don't know if that narrows it down
  • WinoGelato
    OP have you spent any time reading the stickied "Most Helpful" posts at the top of each forum section? There is a lot of good information in there about how to set up appropriate goals, how to use this site, how to design an appropriate diet for yourself, fitness questions, motivation questions, etc.

This is a great collection:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

My advice:
    Set up MFP with accurate stats and a reasonable goal. Based on your current weight, I think losing 1 lb/week would be appropriate for you.
    Once you have that goal, you need to understand that it has a calorie deficit built into it of 500 cals/day assuming you do no exercise at all. If you do exercise, you should eat back at least a portion of those exercise calories so that your net calories are close to the goal MFP provides.
    Eat a variety of foods that you enjoy - focusing on things like: lean protein, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy, healthy fats. All the things you learned about in school are what comprises a nutritious diet.
    Leave room for treats if you like. Nothing wrong with a piece of chocolate or a cookie, in moderation.
    Log everything you eat, as accurately as possible, using a food scale if you can.
    Be patient. Losing weight quickly often has unintended consequences, you can lose lean body mass, get fatigued, brittle bones, hair falling out, etc. Slow, steady, and sustainable is what matters.

Good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    Chelleh616 wrote: »

I did manage to lose 1.5 stone in 2 months due to stress and so far my weight has fluctuated between 13.13 st to 14.2 since, that was 2 months ago when I discovered that.

My main aim is to hit 28-29 on a bmi scale for a career prospects which is why I want it to fall off yestarday haha, I'm still quite young and it's easy to keep it off right now but it's just making it drop off in the first place lol
    Thank you for the advice, been tracking my diet and exercise on MFP since Monday, I'm just struggling on what foods to eat.

What career aspirations do you have that are tied to a BMI?
  • Chelleh616
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP have you spent any time reading the stickied "Most Helpful" posts at the top of each forum section? There is a lot of good information in there about how to set up appropriate goals, how to use this site, how to design an appropriate diet for yourself, fitness questions, motivation questions, etc.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

My advice:
    Set up MFP with accurate stats and a reasonable goal. Based on your current weight, I think losing 1 lb/week would be appropriate for you.
    Once you have that goal, you need to understand that it has a calorie deficit built into it of 500 cals/day assuming you do no exercise at all. If you do exercise, you should eat back at least a portion of those exercise calories so that your net calories are close to the goal MFP provides.
    Eat a variety of foods that you enjoy - focusing on things like: lean protein, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy, healthy fats. All the things you learned about in school are what comprises a nutritious diet.
    Leave room for treats if you like. Nothing wrong with a piece of chocolate or a cookie, in moderation.
    Log everything you eat, as accurately as possible, using a food scale if you can.
    Be patient. Losing weight quickly often has unintended consequences, you can lose lean body mass, get fatigued, brittle bones, hair falling out, etc. Slow, steady, and sustainable is what matters.

Good luck.

Thanks, been logging everything, but 1lb a week doesn't give me enough time really :(
    Ideally 3 per week, as I'm applying for a job which requires me to be at 29 or less on bmi.
    I'm 23 and starting to get more active, but also the more I lose, the easier it'll be for me to run, which is also a requirement :(
  • Chelleh616

What career aspirations do you have that are tied to a BMI?

Services, specifically the police
  • kpeterson539

I like to eat pretty much everything. I don't like fish unless it's sushi or covered in batter though. I'm not allergic to anything. Only food I really avoid is peas, sweetcorn and most of all celery because celery makes me throw up. I just never know what to eat, I like easy meals as I work 12 hour shifts, and we only have a microwave and toaster at work
    But I'm really bad at shopping
    I'm a chocoholic (oops!) And crave sugar Alot
    Don't know if that narrows it down

Great to hear you like pretty much everything. You'd got so much good stuff to choose from!!

Believe it or not, I was just reading this article just a few minutes ago. I thought you may like it since it give some "easy" food items along with a grocery list "outline". Honestly, this may be a good place to start and add things or take things off as you'd like.

I'm not fond of the terminology of "clean eating" that this article is using since I think that saying is just a cliche but it may help you define a bit more some of the foods and recipes in which you're looking.

http://skinnyms.com/quick-easy-grocery-list-healthy-lunches/

• WinoGelato

My advice:

Good luck.

Thanks, been logging everything, but 1lb a week doesn't give me enough time really :(
    Ideally 3 per week, as I'm applying for a job which requires me to be at 29 or less on bmi.
    I'm 23 and starting to get more active, but also the more I lose, the easier it'll be for me to run, which is also a requirement :(

3/week is not realistic given your current weight. You would have to create a deficit of 1500 cals/day and it is unlikely that you can do that through diet or exercise in a healthy way.

I understand the eagerness, but going through the police academy is going to be mentally and physically strenuous. If you were successful in such rapid weight loss it is unlikely that you would have the strength to take on many of the challenges that you would be facing.

If the BMI requirement is firm, perhaps look at the next class, and see about taking a criminal justice class at the university or something in the meantime?
  • Chelleh616

My advice:

Good luck.

3/week is not realistic given your current weight. You would have to create a deficit of 1500 cals/day and it is unlikely that you can do that through diet or exercise in a healthy way.

I understand the eagerness, but going through the police academy is going to be mentally and physically strenuous. If you were successful in such rapid weight loss it is unlikely that you would have the strength to take on many of the challenges that you would be facing.

If the BMI requirement is firm, perhaps look at the next class, and see about taking a criminal justice class at the university or something in the meantime?

Okay, situation I'm in - I am suffering depression living hundreds of miles from family and friends in a career i hate, I'm already £70k in debt with university fees so going back right now is not an option, neither is failing this.

I know what's required to pass, and I know I can pass, it's not as hard as you think, atleast not here. But my biggest determination is to get back home and be happy in a role I want to do.

I know your not trying to sound mean, but please don't tell me I can't. I can and will, even on determination alone I will fight to get there. I'm a fighter and I have already put my mind to it.

I know what's required to pass the fitness test, reaching level 5.4 doing a bleep test at 15 meters plus some strength, which again, I can do.

The only thing holding me back is not being at 29 or below with my bmi. I've already lost 1.5 stone in two months and maintained it, but I was not trying, I just simply gave up on pretty much everything which resulted in weight loss.

Now I just need to lose that extra bit to get there. I am running every day to get my fitness levels up. I have around 6 weeks to get that far.

I'm not giving up nor am I being told I can't.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You can be as determined as you want, but you can't beat the laws of physics. Any weight you lose beyond those two pounds per week will be muscle, not fat. It's probably the strugglig and desperation that's making this hard for you. Losing weight is a simple, but slow process.
  • Chelleh616
    Guys I'm not asking you to tell me what I can't do. So stop.
    :/
    I actually asked on dietary advice, only mentioned that 1lb per week was not enough.
    No I won't wait another year. I WILL!! Do it.
    It's possible. 2lbs per week, 3 would be better.
    I am not going into this career blind folded. I am related to and know many police. I am fully aware of the demands on my body.
    Loosing the weight is not the issue. It's eating the right food. As my post states. I'm asking for food ideas. Not to be knocked back.
    I am the first to admit I don't know what carbs, saturated fat, protein etc add to a diet. That was what I was originally asking for. Food ideas
    If your going to put me down, I suggest you leave this thread.

If your going to offer nutritional advice, please, I would be great full.
  • tonkacrew3
    tonkacrew3 Posts: 51 Member
    edited May 2016
    Try looking up "Full Plate Living" and also "The Superfood Swap" diet. Both are super healthy, balanced and help you learn how to eat well. I have had a consistent weight loss of 2-3 lbs. each week for about 4 months now. I have lost 60lbs.
  • Chelleh616
    tonkacrew3 wrote: »
    Try looking up "Full Plate Living" and also "The Superfood Swap" diet. Both are super healthy, balanced and help you learn how to eat well.

Thank you
    :)