Marriage Proposal and Being Fat

Replies

• AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Important to who?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Honestly looking back I wish I hadn't been so overweight when we got engaged (and obese when we got married). When I look at our wedding pictures I look terrible and its fairly stressful now that I've lost most of the weight trying to figure out if they can even resize my very expensive wedding set appropriately :(

So get new ones made.

When I say expensive I mean thousands of dollars, pretty sure my husband would have an aneurysm if we had to replace them over sizing issues only five years in ;)
  • cherrypeach1
    cherrypeach1 Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2016
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Is your boyfriend planning on popping the question soon or is this just a long off thought that popped into your head?

We've already gone ring shopping and I'm pretty sure he already bought the engagement ring, so it can happen at any moment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Do you feels it's important to look and feel your best when your significant other proposes marriage to you?

At the time of the proposal? No.

At the time of wedding pictures? Yes. In fact, that's why I'm here.

Oh wow! Congrats! :)

Thanks! There was no actual bended knee proposal, just a gradual realization that we want to spend the rest of our lives together and that we want to be married when we buy a house.

The first proposal that I accepted, when I was 20, was rather more romantic, lol.
  • cherrypeach1
    Important to who?

Important to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Honestly looking back I wish I hadn't been so overweight when we got engaged (and obese when we got married). When I look at our wedding pictures I look terrible and its fairly stressful now that I've lost most of the weight trying to figure out if they can even resize my very expensive wedding set appropriately :(

Have you gotten quotes for resizing or are you just stressing about it? (This is not a snarky question - I can relate - my stress becomes manageable when I stop fretting and start acting.)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    No...I find the idea that these things are all about looks very strange.

Is there a backstory here?
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Do you feels it's important to look and feel your best when your significant other proposes marriage to you?

This kind of assumes you know when they are going to propose. I got proposed to in the shower. With soap in my hair. I believe that if your significant other proposes to you they aren't waiting for you to look or feel a certain way - they just love you and want to be with you, right?
  • cherrypeach1
    edited May 2016

This kind of assumes you know when they are going to propose. I got proposed to in the shower. With soap in my hair. I believe that if your significant other proposes to you they aren't waiting for you to look or feel a certain way - they just love you and want to be with you, right?

I agree. He already loves me the way I am today. It's more about how I feel about myself.

P.S. I hope you didn't get soap in your eyes! ;)
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    edited May 2016
    When my husband proposed, we were only 18, him barely even, and I basically said ask me later...way too young, lol. He didn't even have a ring, but a picture of one he wanted to buy, ha! He never really asked again. I asked him one time much later why he didn't just propose and he said he wasn't going to because last time I said no. Apparently, I damaged his poor 18 year old boy ego and he was still upset about it. 5 years after that proposal, I finally felt ready and we kind of just decided to do it and bought rings. Our 2 year anniversary is in about 2 weeks.

I honestly do not remember at all what I looked like at the time. I do remember the panic, though. Haha...

To add, I was 40 lbs heavier in my wedding pictures, and that doesn't bother me at all. I still look at them and just see two very happy people. I was so happy and it definitely shows. I wouldn't change those photos for anything.

ETA: thinking back on it, it was so sweet when he asked. Down on one knee and everything. I'm really lucky he's the man he is, because being rejected after working up all that courage would have been too much for a lot of people. In my mind, then, I wasn't rejecting him, and it wasn't until later that I understood that's exactly what I did. Hence why I was far too young for that kind of decision. Emotional development and all that. Feels now like we were just babies back then. I'm older than him but he's always been the more steady and responsible one in our relationship.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Is your boyfriend planning on popping the question soon or is this just a long off thought that popped into your head?

We've already gone ring shopping and I'm pretty sure he already bought the engagement ring, so it can happen at any moment.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. My boyfriend and I are going on vacation next week too, and I know he is going to propose while we are there. I have some cute dresses packed to wear while we are there but I'm not going to worry about what I'm wearing or how much I weigh when he does it. I'm just going to enjoy the moment and go back to my weight loss efforts when I get home.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    My fiancé proposed to me after I had washed all my make up off, put on my pjs, and my hair was a mess. We had a huge dinner that night (it was actually our anniversary) so I was feeling so bloated and gross. Apparently he still wanted to marry me!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I was skinny when my husband and I met in 2004. I was overweight most of our relationship, fat when he proposed, and even fatter we got married in 2014.

I look at pictures and yeah, I wish I had tried harder to lose weight before. But honestly, those wishes are nothing compared to the happy memories I have of those days. (This coming from someone who had to have a panel put in just so I could close my dress, even though it was corset-style which is VERY forgiving of weight gain and loss!)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    We were hiking up a mountain, so I was in workout clothes, had a backpack on, sweaty, and my hair was a mess. And he has it on video. I don't mind everyone seeing the video because we both look happy, and that's what's important.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    DanaDark wrote: »
    -Stares at barren finger and runs crying from thread-

You win "post of the day"; I'm picking up my crayons and going home.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    edited May 2016
    When my husband proposed to me, I was at my highest weight EVER. I was disappointed but all I wanted was to marry him and everything else fell away. Before our wedding date I tried so hard to lose weight and it just didn't happen for me. So, I got married "fat." Again I was disappointed but the joy of being married to him outweighed (lol) any of my insecurities. We are planning a vow renewal for the distant future (like, in 10 years) so maybe I will have lost the weight by then :)

My husband has told me I'm beautiful even when I didn't feel it. He loves me just as much at 240lbs than he did at 170lbs.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Have you gotten quotes for resizing or are you just stressing about it? (This is not a snarky question - I can relate - my stress becomes manageable when I stop fretting and start acting.)

We went back to the jeweller and they said they can't size it down more than a size and a half because of the half pave bands :( . So hopefully my final ring size won't be under a 6 or we're gonna have a problem. If I had my time back I would've lost the weight to avoid this issue.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Um.... I had no idea my husband was going to propose when he did!
    Also, I was 260lbs when he did propose.... He loves me for me, not for my eight or ability to lose weight.
    msf74 wrote: »

How do you know when someone's about to propose to you? By the time they're on one knee it's a bit odd to go do a few push ups ;)

Looool. Can you imagine?

Darling, I love you with all my heart and it would make me the happiest man in all the world if you could...DROP AND GIVE ME 20!!
    That's hot.