Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Excercise to eat more???

1235»

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I did a scenic 45 mile bike ride. Stopped about 15 mile in for lunch. Had a veggie burger and an iced cream shake, normally I wouldn't want the shake but it was a hot and sunny day, and I had been riding uphill for more than an hour.

It was a great time!

Your photos are SO gorgeous. I was up in Seattle/Chelan in March, and I definitely had a strong urge to not get on the plane back home. If I ever get a job that lets me work from home and live anywhere, I'm moving to Chelan.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I did a scenic 45 mile bike ride. Stopped about 15 mile in for lunch. Had a veggie burger and an iced cream shake, normally I wouldn't want the shake but it was a hot and sunny day, and I had been riding uphill for more than an hour.

It was a great time!

Holy smokes, you are a lucky man!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited May 2016
    kanerz14 wrote: »
    Hi all hoping you can maybe settle and internal debate I've been having of late.

Is there anything wrong or of concern to get into the mindset that it's okay to excercise to enable you to eat more? Something does not sit well in my mind and I worry that as I continue in weight maintenance, my exercising has shifted more from the health aspect to the "I wanna have a beer and pizza so I'd better run 10 miles"

Unfortunately my desire to eat more has increased in maintenance so I'm therefore running much more. (Have got quite good at it infact) and I enjoy the increased flexibility that running affords me.

Views, opinions and sciencey things welcome.

I've been known to do that. But I don't make it a habit. I don't feel like the reward is worth the effort.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member

25630848193_bdf363fdab_o_d.jpg

Here are some pictures from the ride.

26207602976_f729e60a20_o_d.jpg

25630848303_2f9ed7bb33_o_d.jpg

26167228601_0faef49553_o_d.jpg

It was a great time!

No better backdrop for a burger and shake. Those pics are gorgeous
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

It was a great time!

Your photos are SO gorgeous. I was up in Seattle/Chelan in March, and I definitely had a strong urge to not get on the plane back home. If I ever get a job that lets me work from home and live anywhere, I'm moving to Chelan.

I know, I'm always jealous. My parents live in the general area, so at least I get to visit sometimes.

This is my more typical bike ride:

b2o3dsg23ier.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I exercise for 2 reasons. It helps me stay fit and healthy and allows me to eat more. These are two things I really want to do.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It was a great time!

I know, I'm always jealous. My parents live in the general area, so at least I get to visit sometimes.

This is my more typical bike ride:

You're on the beach! That's a different kind of wonderful. This is part of my running trail, lucky me:

photo.jpg

I use it because it's convenient and starts 1/4 mile away from my house. If I drive to a trail, I can run by the spot I got married at:

29430v.jpg

Not quite a lake in the mountains, but not too shabby :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Nice! My photo was from my commute to work. That path is unfortunately unbearably crowded on the weekends once the weather gets nice, so I am even more likely to run around the neighborhoods and bike out in the suburbs.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

If you ever do move to Chelan, or visit again, shoot me a PM. I'll recommend some hikes, bike rides, and scenic drives. :smile:
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Holy smokes, you are a lucky man!
    No better backdrop for a burger and shake. Those pics are gorgeous

Thanks everyone for the complements. :smiley:

I get cabin fever really bad. If I don't leave my house for a day I feel anxious and then that turns into depressed. So, I try to do something like this every weekend. Often times it's less scenic (blue skies and big puffy clouds make great photos), but, still, I go out. In the winter it's a lot of cross country skiing and a little snowshoeing. In the shoulder seasons, it's a lot of rainy hiking. Cycling is what I love most of all. So I try to spend as much time outdoors as possible, I moved here to be closer to the mountains. My plans this weekend are to do a ~45 mile bike ride (25 of them on dirt) up Cascade River Road on Saturday, and go hiking with my girlfriend Sunday; the ride will use a lot of energy and I'll have a raspberry and protein smoothie to make up for some of it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    @northcascades will get us all cycling. Then we'll be like, where the hell is our awesome view???
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    I don't exercise just so I can eat more, but if I'm going to go bike or otherwise kill 1 or 2 thousand calories in a day working out, you can almost bet that the freedom of food choices that follows is something I enjoy. It's often pizza night, or maybe food truck and local brewery day.

And I've found then when I have 3500 to 4000 calories to eat, I can do what I want and usually the issue is more of making sure my deficit isn't too large for the day.

• Teemo_sucks
    Teemo_sucks Posts: 23 Member
    I exercise for the benefits of exercise of course! But that does not mean the idea of more cheese doesn't motivate me, because it sure as hell does. <3 And I don't think that's bad xD Motivation is motivation, and exercise is good, so I don't see a problem with wanting to exercise for a few more calories, but then again, I am in a deficit so the extra calories do help. :)