What's the biggest weight-loss lie you've ever heard?

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    ASKyle wrote: »
    hiyomi wrote: »
    "You shouldn't do exercises for your ab area when you are fat, because the muscle pushes that fat upwards and you tummy will look even bigger"

Dare I say I don't think this is a lie?

If you were actually able to build more ab muscle, and didn't lose the fat, you'd get bigger.

I thought this as well, but the person who said this is actively losing weight, and a ton of it. >.<
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    mypi wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    Eating every 3 hours will help to lose weight

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

Then you don't eat right macros per meal. It's really that easy. I was of same thought as you before I started to look at meal macros.

For you. There's nothing universally better about small, frequent meals over having larger meals less frequently. Meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss (only the overall deficit) so each person can move their calories around to whatever times they wish.

I personally don't like the smaller, more frequent meals idea. The meals would have to be super small and the main thing is it opens up the possibility of over eating during those meals. 3 meals and a lite snack between lunch and supper is plenty and there really isn't that many hours between the meals. The quality of food and total calorie deficit is what really matters
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Fat is genetic. Big boned.
  • versusveritas
    versusveritas Posts: 20 Member
    Most of the stuff my once best friend who is now a BeachBody Coach posts on social media.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Just for fun, things i wish were true:
    Its calorie free:
    - if noone saw you eat it ( so it never happened)
    - if you ou eat it after you went to bed but before you got up for the next day ( calories fall bewteen the days so don't count)
    - If a child made it ( children don't understand to put calories in)
    - If it was a gift ( gifts cant make you fat)
    - If you didnt like it ( you get a calorie odo-over)
    - if you eat somthing nutritious afterwards (that cancels out the calories)
    - If you have pms ( because its medicine)

I wish.
  • kittengirl1983
    kittengirl1983 Posts: 14 Member

I used to work in an office where we would often bring in treats for everyone to share. Most of us decided that we wanted to lose weight, so would bring in fruit and healthy treats and try to encourage each other to eat better and planned to cut calories, eat healthier foods etc. On the first day one of my colleagues (whose original idea it was) came back to the office on lunch with a container filled with a burger and chips - she saw our faces of confusion and said 'oh don't worry! I am going to eat an apple afterwards!' - she seemed to really believe that she could eat anything she wanted as long as she ate something healthy right after.

This was about 10 years ago and I still remember it so well because it utterly baffled me!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

I used to work in an office where we would often bring in treats for everyone to share. Most of us decided that we wanted to lose weight, so would bring in fruit and healthy treats and try to encourage each other to eat better and planned to cut calories, eat healthier foods etc. On the first day one of my colleagues (whose original idea it was) came back to the office on lunch with a container filled with a burger and chips - she saw our faces of confusion and said 'oh don't worry! I am going to eat an apple afterwards!' - she seemed to really believe that she could eat anything she wanted as long as she ate something healthy right after.

This was about 10 years ago and I still remember it so well because it utterly baffled me!

But that was her lunch. The fruits were snacks. If I'm understanding correctly, I don't think she was to eat nothing but fruit because you were encouraging each other to snack on fruits rather than chocolate and brownies in between meals?
  • kittengirl1983
    kittengirl1983 Posts: 14 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

But that was her lunch. The fruits were snacks. If I'm understanding correctly, I don't think she was to eat nothing but fruit because you were encouraging each other to snack on fruits rather than chocolate and brownies in between meals?

It was getting a bit long to explain the whole thing just to get to the point that she thought the apple cancelled out the unhealthy meal - we were supposed to all be doing calorie counting together and eating healthy for the all meals to see what we could lose together - the fruit as a substitute for the snacks was just one part of the whole thing.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    That you need to eat a big breakfast and themn eat a small dinner. I believed this so long and it sabotages me! I eat very little during the day and eat 80 or 90 percent of my calories after 6pm and lose weight because it helps me keep my calories under my limit and having large meals at the end of the day and snacking makes me feel like I'm not being deprived, where as lots of little meals makes me feel like there is so much I can't have.

YES, EXACTLY THIS.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member

This is not a myth actually. If you eat more frequent but little portions, your body has time to digest what you ate and you are less hungry in a process. Also eating when you're NOT hungry helps to fill you up faster leading to eating less at meal time.

This is a myth as it varies per person. I don't do well on frequent, small meals as they always leave me hungry. This is why many people adopt an IF style of eating, as meal times are a preference. There is nothing special about small, frequent meals in and of itself that would induce weight loss.

It's not a myth. The more frequent you eat in smaller portions the more you're keeping your metabolism going and keeping your body from storing anything.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    *Obesity is genetic; it runs in the family.
    *Cutting out sugar is the only way to lose weight!
    *Any cleanse or diet that "kickstarts" or "jumpstarts" weight loss
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Choosing to eat your carbs at night will make you fat
    Carbs are the enemy for weight loss
    You need to do daily cardio for weight loss
    You can eat as much "clean food" as you want, you'll only gain weight on "bad food"
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Walked past a "health" magazine that had the big title of "LOSE WEIGHT WITHOUT DIETING" ....uh, who's going to tell them?
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    MandaB9780 wrote: »

It's not a myth. The more frequent you eat in smaller portions the more you're keeping your metabolism going and keeping your body from storing anything.

No. What you are saying is a myth. Timing has no impact.

It's mostly myth but for people on high protein diets, research has shown that if you break down your meals, protein is absorbed/metabolized better than if you consume one big meal of a lot of grams of protein at once. And timing can work to your advantage (you don't need to eat carbs before a workout or be afraid of eating them at night, but it will give you more energy for that workout or help some people sleep better).
  • evastar
    evastar Posts: 32 Member
    Eat low fat foods