I have a confession to make...

I've only been trying to eat healthier since Monday and today I broke down and had 2 cups of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (600 cals). It shouldn't have been in my freezer to began with but my mom loves sweets and she isn't dieting so the junk food is everywhere. How can I stay focused and not give in? I feel like not being able to eat sweets is the worse thing ever. Any tips?

Replies

• shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Make it a point to track sweets into your daily "budget" first thing in the morning. This allows you to weigh the benefit of that treat against your hunger for the rest of the day. Of at the end of the day, those calories are still free use them for a dessert at the end of the day. If they're not, you've made better choices and you still win!

The point is to have a better lifestyle and make a balanced diet that you can maintain- to lose the weight you want and keep it off long term. Denying yourself even the tiniest of treats will lead to a binge that you'll regret. Besides.... Who wants to go thru life without ice cream?!
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I work everything in to my daily allotment :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Work sweets into your calories. I have ice cream or gelato several times a week, I just make sure I don't go over my calories and hit my macros beforehand.

This. It is so worth it. If it fits your calories (and you weighed the icecream), then you're all good!

Learn to not beat yourself up or feel guilty when you eat something... it won't help.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    No sweets? Wait, what? Oh man, I don't feel so good...I think I'm gonna lay down and take my spare calories and get some M&Ms...
  • Cysso
    Cysso Posts: 68 Member
    I agree with the posts above. Work it into your daily allotment if you know it's a "weakness" of yours. If you'd rather not, maybe ask your mom to buy something that you don't like, but she still does. For example, I don't like Neapolitan ice cream, but my husband and daughter do. So, if I don't want to be tempted, I'll buy that. Or you could buy some "light" ice cream/sweets that's just for you and still satisfies. Sometimes keeping it in a weird place (for ice cream that might not work) or out of reach keeps it out of mind. I try to keep the chips on the top shelf so I don't see them.
  • shkonzem799
    shkonzem799 Posts: 1 Member
    I allow myself something like that about once a week. It is something to look forward to..Then I go right back to my nutrician. It works for me and I have already lost 68 lbs.
  • BeFitKel
    BeFitKel Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all so much! I haven't thought about it from those perspectives, I'm sure it'll help!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    BeFitKel wrote: »
    I feel like not being able to eat sweets is the worse thing ever. Any tips?

Don't exclude sweets (or anything else, as far as I'm concerned) from your diet. Eat them in moderation and make them fit into your calories. If you don't overdo it, it's not hard at all to fit treats into your calorie allowance and still eat a good, well-rounded diet - and there's no reason whatsoever to feel guilty about it.
  • kelliepupluv
    kelliepupluv Posts: 5 Member
    I eat sweets at least two times sometimes three times a week. Work it into your calories. And instead of two cups maybe have one cup or half a cup. Another thing that's super important is if you do go off of the diet for a day or two (and let's face it we all do) do not beat yourself up about it. You're human. Just encourage yourself to continue with it the next day. :)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    As said already. Getting back on the wagon is the key. A day of slips is ok, two weeks ain't.
  • Double__Bubble
    Double__Bubble Posts: 3 Member
    Yup I agree! Don't deprive yourself of anything that you want to eat, but do make sure you have portion control. You will be just fine. Sweets are my weakness too. I'd live off sweets the rest of my life if I could.
  • JLPersall
    JLPersall Posts: 43 Member
    I find keeping the sweet into a pre-alotted portion helps keep me more in check. I love edys coconut popsicles for 120 calories :smiley:
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2016
    If you refuse to treat yourself, your diet will be tedious and unachievable. I work my treats into my calories. I also buy some tesco dessert whips which are made up with milk (I use skimmed) and they are very low on calories, but they give me the sweet treat I'm craving.

As long as you incorporate them into your calories, then you aren't going to fail. If you indulge and go mad, then you won't see weight improvement. But having said that, it doesn't mean don't treat yourself ever. One day of relaxed eating won't ruin your goal.

One day you'll get to the point where you can open the cupboard, look directly at chocolate and not be tempted...I can do that now. But if I ever REALLY want some, I know it's in my cupboard to fall back on, I just have a small amount.

Everything in moderation is key. The minute you restrict yourself from certain food groups, you'll hate what your doing and will be more likely to give up.

You can do it chick :-D
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Title of topic just draws you in lol. Anyways, I'd say the trick is to stay satisfied on healthy food. The less hungry you are the less likely you are to cheat.
  • Archercc
    Archercc Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2016
    I have found a sure way to nip my sweet tooth in the bud is a chocolate pediasure (yes the kids type) i get the 8oz ones so 150 calories and it hits the spot, plus a decent side order of Nutrition included in the drink.
  • elizabethpittman80
    elizabethpittman80 Posts: 22 Member
    BeFitKel wrote: »
    I've only been trying to eat healthier since Monday and today I broke down and had 2 cups of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (600 cals). It shouldn't have been in my freezer to began with but my mom loves sweets and she isn't dieting so the junk food is everywhere. How can I stay focused and not give in? I feel like not being able to eat sweets is the worse thing ever. Any tips?

Try Yasso chocolate chip cookie dough frozen yogurt bars. 100 calories and DELISH
  • trollerskates
    trollerskates Posts: 87 Member
    My dad keeps putting pizza in the fridge. Thats my arch nemesis.
  • ReadyWillingEager
    ReadyWillingEager Posts: 56 Member
    Arctic freeze ice cream is 150 calories per freaking PINT. Amazing.